Scarred - Cover

Scarred

Copyright© 2018 by MichaelT65

Chapter 2

Stelios reassured me, he will have some of his employees take care of the vineyard, while I was gone. Before he left, I put out my hand for a handshake. Instead, he embraced me in a tight hug.

“You look after yourself, son,” he mumbled in my ear. Releasing me, he wiped his eyes.

“Always uncle,” I tried to comfort him, with my words. I watched him get in the Pajero and drive off. Leaving a trail of dust as the vehicle disappeared.

I tossed some clothes in an old duffel bag. Arranged some beverages in the cool box, for the journey. The drive was only two hours, but the heat was unbearable. We would need some refreshments. With the top of the Jeep rolled down, Charlie and I commenced our journey. Driving into Paphos central town from Kathikas, Charlie was running from the back of the jeep to the front. Backwards and forwards, barking every time he would see pedestrians. I let him do his thing, as it was his first time this far away from Kathikas. Hardly leaving the farm, this was an adventure for him.

Before getting on the motorway, I stopped at Jimmy’s garage to have the Jeep inspected before my journey. Rolling into the garage, Jimmy stopped whatever he was doing to come and greet me. Once I went to a halt, Charlie leapt out of the vehicle. Running to Jimmy, while wiggling his tail in joy. Going on his knees, Jimmy started rubbing the dogs head, “I bet you missed me, boy? Because I missed you,” Jimmy said to Charlie.

Looking up at me, Jimmy said, “what brings you down here my good friend?”

“I have to go back home, Jimmy. My father is not well.”

“I’m sorry to hear that. Will it be ok for you to go back?”

“I need to go Jimmy. This journey is well overdue. I need a small favour from you. Can you check the beast, as it has been sitting in the garage for a while.”

Pushing his tool trolley over to the Wrangler. Popping the hood open, he commenced work on the car. He called his mechanic to do a diagnostic on the engine. With the electrician, Jimmy got some items from the storeroom. They worked for three hours to install some gadgets in the cockpit. Explaining to me after, how everything worked. Once finished, he ordered some kebabs for his staff and us. Charlie is enjoying his bowl of food I put for him. Quickly cleaning his bowl, he came over to us for some kebab. While eating, Jimmy kept insisting on coming with me. I assured him everything would be ok and I’ll be back in a couple of days.

It was after six in the afternoon when I managed to get onto the motorway. With all the excitement, Charlie had exhausted himself. Rolled into a ball on the passenger seat, he was fast asleep. Listening to the roar of the Wrangler, I cruised down the motorway towards Limassol, remembering flashbacks of the past.


Seven years ago:

It was the village fair in Avgorou, at the end of June. After taking our final exams, we were celebrating our graduation. Tony and I were cruising around the village in my Wrangler. Something all teenagers did at our age. We wanted to have as much fun as possible before Tony went into the army for two years. Something that all young men did, once they finished school. Myself I was an exception. At the age of fifteen, my mother had passed away from cancer. It was my father and me. As I had no siblings and my father had some health issues. I had been omitted from doing my national service.

Driving past Tony’s house to get some CD’s. His father Mr Savvas insisted on taking Tony’s younger brother with us, Mario and his friend Lucas. Tony protested but, what his father said that was it.

Mr Savvas was a powerful man in Avgorou. When I say dominant, I mean money. He controlled the running of the village. Even had connections in the police. What he said happened. Tony didn’t want that. He would always say, “once I finish my national service I am out of this village.” His brother Mario, who was a year younger was different. He was following in the footsteps of his father, possessed for power. That is why Tony did not want his brother with him when he went out.

“When did you buy this Micky,” Mario sarcastically said to me as I drove out of the driveway.

Snapping his head around to look at Mario. Tony yelled, “His name is not Micky, it’s Michael. If you showed some respect for people, maybe you would have some friends.”

Looking in the rear-view mirror, Mario and Lucas were mimicking Tony as he spoke.

We drove around for a while. Then we decided to go to Ayia Napa to a club that had opened recently. Meeting some friends from school, we decided to go to a beach party held at one of the five-star hotels. It was after two in the morning when the party had finished. Everyone had gone, including our friends. We were still there as Mario decided to take a swim before we go.

“You had too much to drink you fucking idiot!” his brother Tony screamed at him. Pulling his T-shirt over his head as he chased him into the water.


Present day

As we were entering Limassol, I turned to see if my companion was still asleep. Charlie was sitting there, looking at all the buildings, all confused. Yawning and stretching, making me yawn at the same time.

“Great passenger you are, Sleeping most of the journey.”

Putting my foot down, the Wrangler roared as it accelerated to the next lane. Overtaking a convertible Beamer, Charlie commenced barking. The girls were screaming and owing him as I flew past the car. Exiting the highway, on the next roundabout. I entered Jumbo superstore car park. Parking the car next to McDonald’s. Taking Charlie’s bowl, I poured him some water to drink before I walked into the fast food restaurant to get myself a beverage.

Sucking hard on the straw, I could taste the vanilla shake in my mouth. Trying not to consume too much, as to give me brain freeze. Opening the restaurant door, I hear Charlie barking. Looking over at the jeep, I see a young man provoking Charlie with a stick. Getting nearer I recognised the car, it was the girls from the Beamer. They were screaming at the young man, “stop provoking the dog, Terry.”

“Charlie,” I shouted. Charlie straight away stopped barking and stared at the young man, eyes glued to the stick.

Walking up to the young man I said, “my advice to you is to put what you are holding down before the dog rips your hand off while you’re still holding that weapon.” I was bluffing, as far as I know, Charlie wouldn’t harm a fly. When I was near enough, I grasped the stick from his hand, throwing it under the beamer.

“What was that all about?” I said to him.

One of the girls yelled, “he was trying to impress us, by scaring the dog.”

“Really?” I called out as I walked back to the Jeep. Charlie’s vision still on the young man.

“Don’t walk away from me.” Now, this guy was pushing me.

“Charlie get in the Jeep.” Turning around, he ran and leapt into the vehicle. Sitting there, he carried on staring at his enemy. “You stay their boy.” Climbing myself into the driver’s seat, I started the Jeep up. I drove past Terry. The girls left him standing there and went into McDonald’s. Checking my rear-view mirror, he chased after his friends once we had some distance.

Once I was on the highway to Larnaca, Charlie came from the back and sat in the passenger seat. “troublemaker,” I said, smiling at him. Turning away, he put his head out of the window, enjoying the breeze as the vehicle picked up speed. It was getting dark, at the same time the temperature dropping. With humidity at a very high level as we entered Larnaca.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.