The Hurricane of 2020 - Cover

The Hurricane of 2020

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 5

In the morning, I received a call. "Hello. This is Bill."

"Good morning, Dear Heart. Sarah and Hop will come over and they will bring me over with them."

"I really don't mind coming to get you."

"I know but we will still have a lot of time together. See you soon."

I decided that this was going to be a fine Saturday. I went around rousting everyone saying, "Eve is coming. More company is coming. I need help cooking breakfast. Everybody up. Chop! Chop! Look sharp!"

My son called out, "Dad, it's disgusting for anyone to be that cheerful at this early hour!"

I heard Linda say, "Billy, Pop's in love. Let him be joyful. I am pleased."

I blushed a bit but didn't let on that I overheard her. Moments later, the grandchildren were piling into the kitchen ready and willing to help.

We prepared a scrambled egg omelet with grits, biscuits, ham, fruit, coffee, and juice. We were just putting everything on the table with the extra leaf in it when Sarah and Hop pulled up with Eve. Linda and Bill had just come out of their bedroom. Eve jumped out of the truck and ran into my arms. She kissed me soundly. "Good morning, Bill."

"Good morning, Eve." I smiled. "Would you like some breakfast?"

"Are you on the menu?"

"No, but the grand kids and I have prepared some good things."

"Okay, but you're what I really want."

Trey came up and said, "Miss Eve, you'll like what we cooked. Grandpa is a good cook and we help him well."

Eve released me except for holding a hand and leaned close to him. She whispered loudly toward his ear. "I know, Sweetie. I've had his breakfast before. I was teasing him. Girls do that with guys who they like." She paused for a half beat. "Would you let me tease you?" He nodded energetically. She gave him a little hug.

Miriam had hugged Sarah and Hop. We all went inside and sat at the dining table. The food was good and the company was better. Joy asked the blessing and mentioned Eve to be blessed by name. Eve had tears in her eyes when she joined in the "amen."

I squeezed her hand and she squeezed back. Everyone seemed to enjoy breakfast. Sarah and Hop were going into town for a little shopping. Sarah made a point of telling Eve that they would be gone for at least two hours but that she, Eve, could get in if she wanted to rest. She and Eve grinned at each other like women do when sharing something.

They left and we were sitting on the porch as the grand kids ran off breakfast. Eve had claimed the love seat again and wrapped herself in my arms. I didn't fight it at all. She felt good next to me. We were letting our breakfast settle when Eve said, "What are we going to do about supper, Bill."

"Eat it, I guess."

"What do you have here?"

"I'm not sure but I'm sure we'll find something."

"We could go shopping." She said. She had a grin so I braced mentally. "You could show me off to your friends."

I said, "I thought you wanted a low key time here."

"Oh, I do. However, I have a desire to show off the great guy in my life. We could take Trey, Miriam, and Joy with us." She looked at me. "I really do want to see your town and your friends." She grinned. "Unless you're ashamed of me."

"Never." I knew the correct answer to that one.

It was no effort to convince the grand kids to ride into town. Somehow, the jump seats of my truck have always been more appealing than their parents' SUV. They piled in the back and buckled up. I helped Eve into the passenger seat and went around. Linda and Bill would follow us into town. Eve looked sharp with a tailored blouse and shorts. She wore sandals with a low heel. We started out and I whispered to her, "You look absolutely fabulous."

She smiled. "I wanted you to be proud of me. I'm proud to be beside you, Bill."

Miriam was listening and said, "Aww! That's so sweet." I drove us into town with Linda and Bill following. We parked at the town square planning to walk around. The seven of us were on the sidewalk. Eve was holding my hand while Joy had her other and Miriam had my other. Trey walked with his parents holding his mother's hand. Before we went thirty feet, a couple came out of the hardware store who I knew.

Jack was staring at Eve speechless. Marlene said, "Hello, Bill. Who's this?"

I said, "Hello, Marlene, this is my friend, Eve."

Marlene said, "Eve, we're happy to see you with Bill. You make a fine looking couple."

Eve said, "Thank you, Marlene. He's a good guy to have around."

Marlene said, "See you in church tomorrow?" We nodded smiling.

As they drove away, my three grandchildren and their parents were cracking up. Bill said, "They were in shock. Old Jack couldn't even speak."

Linda said, "He couldn't take his eyes off Eve."

Eve looked at me and said, "Should I go back to your place, Bill?"

I said, "Absolutely not! However, you are one of the best looking women in town and no one thought to see a hot babe on my arm. I love it! We'll just enjoy it!"

We went into the hardware store and Dave, the owner, walked to me and came to an immediate stop. "Bill! Who is this lovely lady and why is she hanging around with you?"

Eve spoke first. "I'm Eve and we're 'good' friends." She held my arm and scrunched up closer to me, if possible. She had emphasized the word, "good," with a sexy emphasis. I just grinned.

Dave said, "There is a story there I want to hear some day. Miss Eve, you're a breath of fresh air in our little town. Please come back any time even if you have to bring Bill."

Eve smiled. "I try to go everywhere with Bill." My son later told me that I had a grin that wouldn't stop and that barely had room to fit on my face.

The rest of our stroll went by in a similar manner. To our surprise, no one seemed to recognize Eve as Eve Baylor, talk show hostess.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.