Earth's Core - Cover

Earth's Core

Copyright© 2016 by Lonahora

Chapter 43: Princess Of Veiher

His gaze converged on the two boys and instantly softened.

His initial desire was to protect them, the most fragile part of him, but as Zax considered along the way and was more than gratified to learn that he was right; following Niel and Jingrow’s escapades through the High Rankers’ Trials alleviated the tension from his heart.

To pass this year’s High Rankers’ Trials the participating mercenaries had to accomplish one of three objectives. The first one was to capture a very elusive two scales Deformed Being. The second was to capture, dead or alive, a fugitive from a preselected list of persons. The third was to traverse one of five preselected paths that stretched across the Western Continent.

Niel and Jingrow began with the goal in mind to capture the requested Deformed Being.

The target was a Footloose Squeaker, a Deformed Being the size of an adult man’s hand. It has five thin tails, a chipmunk’s head and a jerboa’s body. Overall it looks like a cute azure little thing.

Many participants chose to go after it, mainly because it seemed like an easy target and the Mercenary Association disclosed its most frequent whereabouts. Subsequently, almost twenty percent of the participants who went after the Footloose Squeaker ended up losing their lives to its lethal speed, which could effortlessly pierce the defensive means of most Core Masters and even some first level Marital Mortals.

Niel and Jingrow were lucky to be among the eighty percent who escaped with heavy to minor injuries. Afterwards, the twelve and fifteen years old decided to change their pick for the third objective and headed to the closest path to them, at the time, of the given five.

‘They will be fine’. Zax decided to withdraw. Besides, he was starting to feel bad for Shadow for tailing him as he also followed the two boys in secrecy.

‘Silternjan departure a week ago did not stir trouble, yet’. The church Child spacecraft’s take off was not exactly inconspicuous. ‘Senior Gid thinks it’s an ominous sign and convinced others the same thing, which ultimately is good. The tribe leaders, patriarchs and matriarchs are now working almost enthusiastically to reseal New Earth when the time will come’. He flew to New Earth, contemplating.

‘The stride and a half my spirit has left to reach the sixth bottleneck of insight ... I need to prepare for it, so if it won’t happen naturally, and it probably won’t because of the lingering Godly Retribution, I’ll be able to force it in a moment of life and death’.

...

Valgarel, Grandmaster Kartion’s cave and the Martial family’s home.

“Master”, Zax found Kartius in the Essence Cave, spending time with Laivien.

Even after so many years she had yet to give birth, was could still not transform from her her animalistic White Doe form, confined to her pavilion with a big violet stone beside her and in reliance of her caretakers Krikitories.

“Little Zax!” Pleasantly surprised, Laivien gestured for him with her giant doe head to approach her. “Why is that the only times I see you are when there things to celebrate or when you look melancholy?” She nudged and bit his thick head, unafraid of harming him. She could not even if she wanted to...

“If I’ll say that I’ll come more often, will you forgive me?” Zax rubbed her muzzle.

“Will you lie again?” Laivien released him, uninterested in his answer she asked. “What do you need your Master for?”

“Come here, Martial son”. Kartius instructed in his giant animalistic form of a Black Stag.

Sitting crossed legged on the ground; Zax pulled his head back to view his Master’s face. “I wish to prepare, but I don’t know how, Master. My mind is settled, my heart is clear and my spirit abiding. It’s only right that I should feel at peace with myself, be in top condition ... Yet, perhaps recent event made me overthink the repercussions of failure that I can’t seem to bring myself to decide on my own ... or maybe I just need your blessings? I’m not sure, so I came. Please guide me, Master”.

“Martial son”, Kartius opened after a deep contemplation, his tone suggesting of mixed emotions. “I can’t help you”.

“You can’t?!” Zax repeated, flabbergasted.

Kartius shook his head, spreading gales of wind. “You surpassed me, surpassed big brother, His Valor Ozeyn, as well as the heroes of your Kingdom Earth. It’s time for you to recognize it ... Your Martial father cannot outthink you, suppress you, fathom your insights...”

“Master...” Zax uttered in disarray.

“Big brother...” Laivien saddened.

“Indeed”, Kartius ignored them. “I’m still your Master. I nurtured you, taught you, reprimanded you ... These are my accomplishments that will forever stay true to both you and me, Martial son”.

Tears streamed in two smooth lines down Zax’s face. His Master’s refusal was also a form of revelation that he received in this, final lesson. “Martial father”. He did as he was told not to since their first meeting and kneeled.

“Frivolous child”. Kartius, too, shed two trails of tears that made his black fur shine.

Laivien could not look. She turned her neck and grazed her stomach, tenderly listening to the tiny heartbeat of her and Grandmaster Kartion’s child ... a pregnancy that lasted far, far too long for all but herself and loved one to hold on hope for.

Suddenly a hand gently pressed her abdomen.

“Zax?” She did not notice his approach.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.