Phantom Lessons, Book #2 - Cover

Phantom Lessons, Book #2

Copyright© 2023 by Lynn Donovan

Chapter 2

“No.” Samantha held her phone close to her face and covered it with her hand. She didn’t want the students or Tyson Adcock to hear. KatLynn, however, listened intently. The students all had their heads down, concentrating on a four-grammar-problems paper. Tyson continued coloring his Colorado County map. “Ty’s fine.”

He looked at her at the mention of his name. Sam smiled at him and crunched her nose in an ‘everything’s fine’ gesture. He resumed coloring.

“I’ve made arrangements for him to stay in my classroom ... No, Vi. He’s all right, I promise.”

KatLynn glanced at the seven-year-old in the last desk against the Smart Board. He was so much smaller than the other students. Fourth through sixth graders had a good head in height on him. Even the two GATE kids who were eight years old looked bigger than Tyson. The difference a year makes, especially with boys. A student from Miss Majors’s classroom delivered a manila envelope marked “Tyson.”

“Thank you, Micah, are you Miss Majors’s student of the week?” KatLynn took the envelope.

Micah nodded vigorously. “Yes ma’am.”

“Well, tell her thank you for Tyson’s work.”

Micah nodded and rushed back to his classroom behind the building.

KatLynn pulled out his work and handed him a Skip Counting paper. Ty’s eyes lit up and he eagerly began filling in the boxes. He was a smart boy, a good student.

“He can’t get in here,” Sam continued. “The building’s secured. I spoke to Eddie Gonzales. Yes, the liaison officer. He’s not going to let Tyler or any of the paranormal freaks in this building. You know how he is? He may be a retired prison guard, but he’s still got what it takes.” She chuckled. “Okay. I just wanted to give you a heads-up. So ... you let me know if anything happens. Lucas Hart swore to me he’d talk to Tyler. If he does anything inappropriate with you, you let Lucas or me know. If nothing else, we’ll sick Eddie on him ... better yet, I’ll call Trent ... Well, I certainly think the Chief of Police can talk some sense into your ex-husband if Lucas Hart cannot.”

Sam hung up and looked at KatLynn. The sadness in Sam’s eyes made Kat want to take her friend and co-teacher into her arms and hold her. But not in front of the children. And certainly not in front of Ty. They had to, at least, not be concerned about Ty’s father being in town with the paranormal investigators.

Kat whispered. “Everything all right?”

Sam sighed. “Yeah. Vi sounds really nervous, though.”

“What happened between her and her ex?”

“Vi shared some of their stories and it wasn’t pleasant.” Sam glanced at Ty and lowered her voice even more. “It seems Tyler ran off with some actress, thinking she was going to introduce him to producers who would put Tyler on big-budgeted documentaries. He left Vi and Tyson when Ty was not quite four. Vi had been a stay-home mom since Ty was born.

“Tyler got his last paycheck, emptied the bank account, and left Denver before paying any bills or rent or anything. Vi was desperate and it so happened that my cousin had looked her up on Facebook, and Vi spilled the beans on how miserable she was. See, they had become good friends in culinary school in Denver. Leanne told her to come to Gladstone and she worked out a deal with Harry for Violet to stay in the B&B. She baked desserts for the diner and the inn to earn her keep. That way she didn’t have to put Ty in daycare.

“I don’t know if you know this, but Harry, Leanne, Mysti, and I pooled a small portion of our inheritance to help her put a down payment on that bay next to Mysti’s shop. Vi started the bakery downstairs and made her apartment upstairs. She has been running a successful business ever since.

“She’s come such a long way, Kat, emotionally and financially. I just hope Tyler doesn’t screw it all up for her.”

KatLynn walked to where Ty was working and peeked over his shoulder. “That’s very good, Ty. Are you ready to go outside and play?”

He raised his head and nodded vigorously. “Well, come on, then.” KatLynn clapped her hands and announced it was time for recess. All the children, including Ty, pulled their coats from their hooks and lined up at the door.

Sam stepped closer to Kat and whispered, “Watch for any suspicious men, especially the one who looks just like Ty. That’s his father. In fact, if any of the paranormal team act like they’re watching the children, we need to let Principal Chambers know.”

Kat nodded and followed the kids outside. Samantha set up the projector flip chart for the next lesson. When they came back in, she’d be ready. But her thoughts were on Ty and his safety. She hoped KatLynn kept a sharp eye out for any trouble. Sure Tyler had the right to see his son. She just hoped he didn’t cause Vi any more heartache.

“Miss Gladstone, a word.” Alan Rivers called across the soccer field.

Samantha froze. She stood statue-still with her eyes closed and let out a long slow sigh.

Rivers jogged to catch up with her. The day’s sunlight had dried the field. It was much easier to traverse now. Slowly she turned to face him. “Yes, Mr. Rivers.”

“I wanted to apologize.” He panted heavily.

“Apologize? For what?”

“I didn’t realize who you were when we met this morning. Paul Hourton, the man who helped me unload, reminded me you are a key witness in our investigation.”

“I am?” She glanced at her car. Could she beat him to it and make an escape before he asked her to recall her most terrifying nightmare? She glanced at her feet. These shoes could withstand running, unlike the cute pumps she ruined this morning. Her eyes returned to his strikingly blue eyes which contrasted with his dark brown hair. Such a unique combination. That Alice-falling-through-the-looking-glass effect swooned in her head. She smiled. “I am.”

“Yeah. So, could we go somewhere and talk about what we should get on camera?”

She pursed her lips. “I really don’t like talking about that, Mr. Rivers.”

“But, Miss Gladstone, your story is unique, it’s fascinating. The public will love it ... and you.” Alan took her hand into his. “And I want you to call me Face.”

She stared at him. His eyes were crystal pools of blue that she could completely lose herself in without hesitation. And then he blinked. Did a sliver of brown show under the blue? Contacts? “Um. Sure. Are we talking dinner or just a quiet place to talk?” A single flame sparked in her midsection at the thought of going out with this Adonis. He was a beautiful man. Even if he had brown eyes rather than blue.

He tilted his head to one side, considering her question. Then a huge sparkling smile dawned on his mouth. He had a beautiful mouth. He lifted her hand to his chest, rubbing his thumb across the back of her knuckles. The flame ignited. “Let’s make it dinner.” His voice was beautiful, too.

“Well.” She cleared her throat. “There’s Hal’s diner and the Backwoods Bar B Que—”

“Bar B Que sounds good to me. Do we need reservations?”

She laughed. “You’ve never been here, have you, Mr. Rivers.”

“My friends call me ‘Face.’”

“I’m not calling you ‘Face!’”

“Okay, Alan, then.”

“Alan I can handle.” She glanced at her lone car parallel parked by the soccer field. “Do you want to meet me there, or...”

“No. Let me take you.” He gestured toward the faculty parking lot and the various API vehicles.

She paused. The flame blazed. She swallowed in an attempt to squelch the fire. “We’re just going to talk about what would be good on camera, right?”

He nodded as if he were lost in the reflection of her eyes, too. “Okay, then,” she uttered.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.