Phantom Lessons, Book #2 - Cover

Phantom Lessons, Book #2

Copyright© 2023 by Lynn Donovan

Prologue

Samantha’s Story

“Get away from me!” Little Samantha Gladstone screamed. The huge black horse reared high above her head, slicing its hooves through the air. If just one hoof came down on her, it would cut her to bits. The hooves looked sharp as Daddy’s razor.

The fascinating fireflies she had followed into the woods had all gathered together, swooping and swirling, until they transformed into the black horse’s mane. Flowing with his movements as if they were blowing in a breeze or floating in water, it was beautiful and terrifying at the same time.

But there was no wind. And he wasn’t in water. What lifted the horse’s mane, Samantha’s five-year-old brain couldn’t fathom. Nor why the rider tried to trample her, she had no clue.

Sam watched the fireflies, mesmerized by their beautiful glowing light, until they took formation on the horse’s neck and then the entire horse rose up on his hind legs, out of the darkness where he had not been a moment ago. Towering above her short stature, he was horrifying. Fascination turned to raw fear. She backed up, then turned to run. Tripping over roots, losing her shoes, skinning her knee and her palms, tearing her jeans, and shredding her t-shirt. Every time she fell the horse was upon her. Rearing above her. She scrambled to her feet and ran harder.

Fear!

Fear was all she understood. And so she ran.

She’d lost sight of her sister and the campfire. Daddy had barked some orders about “watch your little sister” to Nancy. He didn’t tell Sammy what to do. Mommy was sick. Really sick. And Daddy took her into the tent. Sammy had been twirling and watching her shadows made by the firelight and then she noticed the swarm of light bugs. She walked away from Nancy to follow the amazing sight.

Now she ran for her life. From tree to tree, she tried to hide, but he came alongside her and she’d take off running from him. It felt like he was toying with her. It was a horrible game. She hated it and she hated him. He was a mean man for letting his horse chase her like this. She was lost and all she wanted was her Mommy and Daddy. She screamed for them, but no one heard her. She screamed for Nancy. Still nothing. She fell over a root and her face scraped into the leaves and dirt. Her cheek burned and her hair had all kinds of sticks and dried leaves in it. She tried to brush it out, but there he was. So she ran.

She was barefoot now and her feet burned. They were bleeding. Her palms were bleeding, too. She cried. Where was Daddy? Why didn’t he find her and stop Grandpa Harold from chasing her? He swung up close to her left side. She screamed at him, “Go away!” and ran to her right. He’d swing up close to her right side, and she run to her left.

Would this ever end? She was going to die out here, alone and afraid. Grandpa Harold’s horse was going to stomp her into the ground and she’d be dead, cold, and alone.

Then she saw some lights and she heard adults talking on radios. She ran to them, screaming, “HELP ME! HE’S CHASING ME! MAKE HIM STOP!”

She ran across the Phantom Horse Bridge. It hurt her feet, they were already so sore. Her tears poured and slobber ran down her chin. She cried and cried.

Chapter 1 »

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.