Blue Wave Healer - Cover

Blue Wave Healer

Copyright© 2015 by Radley Black

Chapter 1: Crucible

Fantasy Story: Chapter 1: Crucible - In a harsh land not on this Earth where daylight is deadly, and singing holds the power the unleash crystal magic, a young healer fights to protect her village despite unfair and cruel prejudice against her. Will she prevent the disaster that she foresees so clearly and others do not? Will she win acceptance from those that mistrust her?

Caution: This Fantasy Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Fa/Fa   Romantic   Magic   Lesbian   BiSexual   Heterosexual   Fiction   High Fantasy   Science Fiction   Extra Sensory Perception  

Location Lost Souls Day Nest, Battle Grounds
Time 11 Hundred-Days Previous

Maiho took the lead along with her ever present shield bearer Jep as they made their way down the endless white corridors of the day nest of the Village of Lost Souls. Only the shard hunters were in front of her. Part of the reason they were so far forward, was that no-one wanted to stand in front of the weapon she was carrying.

“How much farther to the food depot? This thing is heavy,” asked Maiho referring to the device of green crystal that the young Blue Wave tribe’s girl was carrying.

“It is not as heavy as lugging around this,” replied Jep indicating the large shield that would protect both the small Red Blade tribe’s boy and his blue companion if they ran into archers. “The depot should be three corridors further.”

“Last time there was only mouldy mana bread and some leftover dried meat in the cold boxes,” Maiho complained.

“Ma and Pa said might have to check several depots before we find any food at all.”

“Don’t call them that. It just encourages them. Rath and Illia are only one hundred-days older than we are.”

“A hundred-days older than you maybe,” Jep scoffed.

“Yes I can see you are very tall and wise,” returned Maiho patting the slightly shorter boys head. “We can’t check all the depots. The Reborn are going find us and kill us. We barely made it back to the traveling rooms last time,” complained Maiho. She stopped as Jep halted.

“I think the hunters have found something or someone,” remarked Jep setting down the shield and crouching behind it. The shard hunters were artifacts made of crystals. They were shaped roughly like night wolves and moved in a similar manner. Legend said that they were creation of a mysterious long dead people sometimes called the Old Ones and sometimes called the Eldar, as were as crystal devices like the weapon Maiho carried, and the Eldarholme corridors through which they travelled.

The hunters had stopped at a cross corridor. Maiho could hear singing from up ahead. It was the hunting song. The hunters, like all the Eldar’s gifts, were controlled by music. Someone was trying to steal their hunters.

A shiver of fear run though Maiho. The children had only survived because they had three strong singers, Illia, Kin and Maiho herself. She was confident she could handle any normal reborn warrior as long as she and Jep did not let the warrior get within sword to spear range. Reborn singers were another matter, they had only managed to survive by running from any singers they encountered.

Jep placed a hand her shoulder. “Rule One - Protect Our Singers. I will keep you safe.”

Rule Two was Kill the Enemy Singers First. Maiho started singing the activation song for her weapon. Behind her Illia and Kin started singing the hunting song striving to prevent the enemy singer from taking over the hunters.

Enemy hunters rushed out of the side corridor slamming into the childrens’ hunters. They went down in a tangle of crystal limbs. Loud chiming and clanging sounds rose from the melee as the hunters struggled and fought with hunters. The enemy hunters endeavouring to disengage from the friendly hunters in order to reach the children, the friendly hunters blocking, and holding the enemy hunters. The sound threatened to drown out Kin’s and Illia’s hunting song.

Maiho completed the activation song for the needle flinger as a reborn archer stepped out of the side corridor and loosed an arrow. Fine crystal needles splintered off from the end of the green crystal she was carrying, and flew toward the archer. The arrow sped towards Illia’s and Rath’s position. She had to trust Rath to use his shield to protect them both. She could see the puffs of dust as the needles hit the wall next to the archer. She repeated parts of her weapons control song and shifted her aim and the archer went down. Another archer loosed an arrow and stepped back behind cover before she could find him with her needles. A third stepped into the barrage of needles she was firing at the side corridor, collapsing, his arrow going wide.

One of the hunters detached itself from the melee and started towards them. In a panic she shifted needle fire towards the hunter. Jep placed his hand on her shoulder and yelled urgently. “Let Illia handle the hunter. Aim at the humans!”

She shifted her aim back to the side corridor. She knew he was right. Her needles could not harm Artificia like the shard hunter. Still, it took all her will power to ignore the rapidly approaching shard hunter: to avoid thinking about its crystal claws slashing her; its crystal teeth rending her.

An archer loosed an arrow this time toward Jep and Maiho. She dodged half behind the shield, trying to protect her face and body, while keeping the needle-flinger and the hand holding it, clear of the shield, as she continued to fire needles towards the enemy.

The arrow passed over the shield and Maiho heard it clatter against the wall behind them. When she poked her head around the shield, fear gripped her as she saw how close the approaching hunter was. Illia’s voice rang out, the hunting song filling the passageway. Maiho’s mouth went dry as the crystal creature kept on advancing. She was about to break and run when the Artificia stopped, its whirling eyes focused on Illia. It made a bow of acquiescence to Illia and relief flooded though Maiho.

A strange song rang out from the side corridor and a reborn singer stepped into view, something red glowing in his hand.

“Light spear!” yelled Rath.

Maiho half dodged behind the shield, trying to find the enemy singer with her needles, while protecting herself. Red light scattered off their surroundings until the light beam from weapon found its target on Jep’s shield. The metal of the shield grew hot while the wood started to smoke, giving off an acrid smell. Jep screamed as the metal handle of the shield burned his arm. Then fire washed over Maiho’s hand, she opened her mouth wide and the song she was using to control her weapon wavered and modulated into a half shout, half scream. Yellow light flared, the needle-flinger bucked and twisted in her hand. The crystal device clattered to the ground. Her damaged hand could no longer hold it.

“You got him, he’s down, they’re all down,” shouted Kin’s shield bearer Pas from behind them.

Maiho panted and gasped, breathing in and out raggedly as she tried to ignore the pain in her hand. The smell of burnt flesh and wood smoke assaulted her nostrils. Gritting her teeth Maiho poked her head around the shield. There were now fist sized holes in the walls, floor and ceiling around the enemy’s position.

She picked up the green crystal needle-flinger with her good hand. It seemed half the size of what it was before.

“You need to heal that hand now,” commanded Jep.

“No! I am fine. I need to heal your arm. Dret, Farn, Quan help me get his arm out of the shield,” she shouted. She glanced at her hand and a sick feeling formed in the pit of her stomach. She tore her eyes away from her hand and concentrated on Jep’s arm. The three red blade boys rushed from their position in the rear. They had been brought along to help carry the loot back, but since none of them were singers or singers’ shield bearers they were of limited value in a fight.

“Maiho, you need to heal yourself first. The others need you to help keep them alive. You are more important than me.” Jep argued.

“Dret, cover them with your shield. Let Farn and Quan help Maiho. There could still be more of the Reborn,” shouted Rath.

Maiho placed what remained of the needle-flinger into her bag and removed the White healing crystal from its pouch.

Farn and Quan used their carry bags to protect their hands from the hot metal of the shield. They gingerly removed Jep’s arm from the shield. Maiho sang the healing song and applied the healing crystal to his arm. He tensed his body, gritting his teeth. Quan fished a piece of dried meat out of his bag, placing it between Jep’s teeth for him to clamp down on.

She glanced at Jep’s shield as she sang. It was now face up on the ground. A scorch mark ran diagonally across the shield. The thin metal facing was warped and partially melted. The fire resistant fibre wood backing layer was still smoking.

She looked over at Dret and the shield he was carrying. If the Reborn attacked now they would be in trouble, as there was no way a single shield could provide cover for all five of them.

The intense pain made it difficult to ignore her own wounds. Reluctantly she stopped healing Jep’s arm and examined her hand more closely. It was bad, she would be lucky not to lose at least two fingers. Jep had been right when he insisted that she should take care of herself first. She really needed a healing altar, the small healing crystal was not going to be enough. Unfortunately even though they had found an altar down in the lower levels, Maiho did not know the first half of the healing prayer used to activate the altar. She only knew the less secret second half, that most blue healers’ patients had heard. A further disappointment was that despite the fact, as a half trained archivist, Illia seemed to know everything about almost anything, Illia did not know the healing prayer either.

She recommenced singing the healing song, and applied the crystal to her own burnt hand. Her hand exploded in agony. She had thought the pain couldn’t get worse, but she was wrong. Only hundred-days of training kept her voice approximately in tune, as she healed her hand. The pain overwhelmed everything. The universe narrowed to the pain in her hand, and the song she needed to sing. The healing song seemed to stretch forever. Time seemed to stand still.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.