The Farm Legacy - Cover

The Farm Legacy

Copyright© 2015 by Kaffir

Chapter 6

Nick mentioned Diana's unhappiness to Hal who nodded.

"Yes," he said. "I warned her yesterday and there were tears in her eyes. She ran off to her room for a while. I might have a word with her later."

"I wouldn't unless she brings it up," replied Nick gently. "It'll just make her unhappy again if she's trying to put it behind her."

Hal nodded thoughtfully. "Makes sense," he said.

Diana did cry again for a few minutes when she got back to the house and the privacy of her room but then resolutely put it behind her, washed her face and got on with her work.

It did not last. The next morning she heard and then saw the cattle trucks taking her bullocks away. She fled to her room and cried her heart out. When she emerged she went to the kitchen to make herself a mug of tea. Hal had realised that she would see the trucks and be upset again so had waited in the kitchen for her to emerge. He smiled gently and sympathetically at her.

That was too much for her and her eyes filled again. Almost without thinking Hal took her in his arms and held her gently as she sobbed wrackingly into his chest. She did not stay for long but pushed herself away, pulled a tissue from her sleeve and dabbed away the tears.

"Sorry for being such a baby," she whispered, "but ... but ... I really loved those boys. Thanks for being there for me."

Hal smiled at her again. "I hope it was a bit of a help," he said softly.

She nodded. "It was. I was going to have a cuppa. What about you?"

"Yes, please."

Making the tea helped her recover her composure. When it was ready they sat across the kitchen table from each other. They both looked at each other not knowing what to say. Hal was hoping he had not upset her and been forward in holding her. Diana was very aware that that was the first time since Gerry that she had been in a man's arms. She was not sure whether she felt guilty or happy.

"When will you be replacing them?" she asked.

"March-April. They're suckled for seven to ten months and then sold to the likes of us for finishing."

"How long does that last?"

"Eighteen to thirty months but we normally sell them after eighteen."

"Why?"

"A number of reasons. We've got plenty of good grazing for them and the sheep so they put on weight quite quickly. Their meat is tenderer at that age so we normally get a reasonable price for them and then it saves us the cost of supplementing their feed in the winter when the grass stops growing."

Diana nodded. "That all makes good sense," she said and thought for a moment. "Why don't you have two herds a year apart? They wouldn't overlap a winter."

Hal looked at her in admiration. "That's not a bad idea but even though I said we've plenty of grazing that might just be a bit too much. I'll see what Dad thinks. He won't want to cut back on his sheep particularly as we've been getting good prices for them."

"You're the experts," said Diana with a smile.

Hal was thrilled and smiled warmly at her. "Glad you recognise that," he teased and was even more delighted when she stuck the tip of her tongue out at him.

"All the same," he went on, his eyes dancing, "I realise that you're just angling to have some bullocks here the whole time so that you can go and pet them."

"The thought never crossed my mind," she grinned back.

"Don't give me that, Mrs Barton."

"Are you calling me a liar?"

"Me? Accuse a woman of lying 'specially when she's older than me? Never!"

That did the trick. Diana laughed and pointed a finger at him which made him laugh too.

Hal mentioned Diana's idea to Nick who smiled at him. "Don't let your heart get ahead of your brain but, Hal, that's not a bad idea. The trouble is that the lambs need valley grass to start with and so do the bullocks. Once they're weaned it's less of a problem apart from the Romneys being rather picky feeders. I'm not worried about the Mules. They'll eat anything."

"Yes, Dad, but we've had Romneys up in the top pastures."

"When they're lusher." He grinned at Hal. "You've got a soft spot for that girl, haven't you, son?"

Hal looked at his feet and Nick laughed. "So have I, son, but I'm a married man."

"Dad!"

Nick sucked his cheeks but his eyes were sparkling. Hal growled at him but gave him a shame-faced and shy smile.

That Friday evening as they all sat down to supper, cooked by Diana, Nick said, "Well, harvest in, and everything sold at a reasonable price, same with the livestock so I reckon we can take a break and let our hair down so pub supper tomorrow night and, Mum and I are going to take a week's break."

"When?" asked Helen.

"Sunday."

"Where?"

"Athens."

"I can't drop the shop at that short notice. Anyway, I need to get some appropriate clothes."

"Yes you can. Diana and Millie can more than hold the fort between them and you can buy some suitable and ethnic clothes in Athens."

Helen stared at him for a moment and then launched herself round the table. Having hugged him and plastered her lips to his she said, "Bloody man! But I love you. Thank you, my darling!"

"So you should!"

Helen tried to snort in derision but failed totally. Instead she hugged him tightly.

Hal waited until Helen returned to her seat. "And I'm supposed to manage the farm single-handed for a whole week in winter while you two go gallivanting off to foreign parts and blue the year's profits?"

"Yes, son," said Nick solemnly. "I have every confidence in you even though there's so much to be done."

Hal looked solemnly at his father and then his face broke into a huge smile. "Great!" he said. "You both deserve it. Have a really wonderful time. Diana and I will try to hold things together in the meanwhile."

Diana had not said a word throughout the conversation. She was slightly uncomfortable at the thought of being alone in the house with Hal for an entire week. It was not as though he had come onto her but she was aware that a strong friendship had developed and that he had taken her in his arms to comfort her. On the other hand she was pretty certain that he would never try to take advantage of her. All the same would there be gossip?

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.