The Farm Legacy - Cover

The Farm Legacy

Copyright© 2015 by Kaffir

Chapter 5

Despite Mr Morris's promising prognosis the excitement the next morning was tempered with some apprehension but at three o'clock Helen fairly bounded into the house.

"His head's not bandaged and he's got colour in his cheeks. Oh, Diana, I'm so relieved."

"Is he cheerful?"

"Ish. The painkillers are doing their job but he says his whole body aches and he's pretty drowsy."

"Not surprising really."

"No. Mr Morris told him this morning that that would be the first thing to fade and that they will be monitoring the painkiller drip and won't release him until he can make do with tablets which will probably be the day after tomorrow. His head will be the next thing to heal and then it will only really be his pelvis that will give him some pain."

"Good news."

"So what have you been up to?" asked Nick.

"I visited the lambs and the bullocks and all seems well there. Do you want some help with the rest of the bales?"

Nick smiled. "No, Diana dear, I'm not going to put you at risk too and your priority is to nurse Hal when we get him home."

Diana smiled back. "Yessir!"

"On the other hand I'd better give you a hand getting his bed down into the dining room."

"Thanks."

They did that and then she and Helen brought other things from his room and the upstairs bathroom down for him.

"You mentioned a walker yesterday," said Diana. "Does the hospital provide one or are you going to have to get one for him?"

"Oh golly! I don't know. Thanks for reminding me. I'll find out tomorrow when we visit."

The hospital did provide and two mornings later Hall arrived home in an ambulance. He had been instructed to remain in bed for the next three days when an ambulance would collect him for an outpatient appointment. The district nurse would visit tomorrow and give him a bed bath and one of the household instructions on how to do it thereafter. The ambulance crew also gave Helen and Diana instructions on how to use a bedpan and a urine bottle.

Hal was exhausted and Helen and Diana left him to sleep. Helen went back to the shop and Diana got on with her housework but avoiding using the vacuum cleaner in case it disturbed him. She prepared lunch as usual.

Helen came in at half past twelve and she and Dina helped Hal sit up a bit with cushions and pillows supporting him. Helen sat with him while he ate until Nick came in, said hello to Hal and then went to eat. She went with him. Diana joined Hal.

"I'm so glad you're back in one piece and not permanently injured," she said gently.

"Me too," replied Hal with a smile.

"Do you remember how it happened?"

"Yes! Plain bloody carelessness! Without bothering to look I stepped backwards into space."

"That must have been terrifying."

"Yeah but only for about a second because that's when I hit the ground and knocked myself out."

"Not nice! Did you remember as soon as you woke up?"

"No not until doctor's rounds the next morning when Mr Morris started asking me questions."

"Am I tiring you?"

"No." He grinned. "When you do I'll probably just gonk out."

Diana chuckled. "Without even saying goodnight? Very rude."

That made Hal laugh and she was overjoyed. She knew nothing of nursing as such but felt sure that a happy patient would get better quicker than an unhappy one. She found to her surprise that she wanted to squeeze his hand but fought the impulse. That might upset undemonstrative Hal and embarrass him.

She proudly told him that Nick had made her responsible for the bullocks and the lambs and that she had moved among the bullocks on her own and how gentle and friendly they were to her.

"It's all your teaching," she finished with a smile.

He smiled back. "That might have helped but, as I said, you're a natural with animals."

"Oh, I don't know."

"I do. One of these days I'm going to have to get myself my own pair of sheepdogs so that I can take over from Dad when his get too old. If you're still with us we could work them together."

Diana looked doubtful. "I always thought they only worked properly to one person."

"Well that's the accepted practice. We'll set a new one."

"Hmm."

"If it doesn't look like working I'll just have to give you the sack."

"Just as well you're injured or I might have had to give you a smack."

Hal laughed again. Diana was delighted.

She did not prolong the visit but told Hal to give her a shout if he wanted anything. He nodded his acceptance and was asleep again two minutes after she left him.

Diana was worried about Nick running the farm single-handed but he reassured her.

"I've asked Mike to give me a hand. He used to work here while Hal was still at school. He knows his stuff and may not be as nimble or strong as he was but we'll get by."

"Please, Nick, let me help where I can as long as I'm not away when Helen can't be there for Hal."

"Thanks, Diana. Hal's your top priority but if you can keep an eye on the livestock, Mike and I will cope with the winter crops and the finishing feeds for the bullocks and lambs. If I need you I promise I'll shout. Thanks, Diana." His smile was warm and genuine.

A fortnight later Hal was mobile with his walker and Diana went virtually everywhere with him. Helen would take him down to the shop but that was not really something that interested him so Diana would help him into the pickup and take him to check on the livestock. They would drive slowly round among the sheep and the lambs and Hal's advice on how much longer a particular pasture would be suitable for grazing was invaluable. Nick appreciated their efforts.

As far as the bullocks were concerned Hal gave advice on the grazing but left Diana to move among them and check them. He was amazed at her affinity for them and the affection in which they held her. She was quick to spot anything slightly wrong with any of them and Nick was equally quick to respond, relying on Diana to keep the animal calm while he examined it not to mention the interested bystanders. She was a natural and both he and Hal told her so. She was thrilled but merely smiled self-effacingly and said nothing more than 'Thanks'.

Her relationship with Hal developed too. They no longer talked merely about farming but began to move towards the personal.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.