Autumn Duet - Cover

Autumn Duet

Copyright© 2014 by Kaffir

Chapter 2

It was a month before Nell rang. Ralph was delighted to hear her voice and said so.

"Nell! How nice to hear you! Are you well?"

"Yes thanks, fine. And you?"

"Also, thanks."

"How's your wife?"

"No change really. The odd moment of lucidity but the gaps between are getting a bit longer."

"Oh, Ralph, that's miserable for you both."

"C'est la vie. Have you been up to anything exciting? Has your choir started to practise for your Christmas concert?"

"Not yet. Next month and we're doing 'Creation' so I'll have a head start on 'The Heavens Are Telling'."

"Won't you just! When's the performance?"

"December 15th."

"I'll put it in my diary. Will you come and have supper with me somewhere afterwards?"

"I'd love to but it might be a bit too late for restaurants and pubs."

"Let me know nearer the time what time it starts and I'll try and work something."

"OK. What's your lot doing?"

"Bits and pieces from Messiah. Not very imaginative."

"But fun! You ought to come and join us."

"Much too grand for me."

"Rubbish! In any case, you'd be lost among fifteen or sixteen other basso profundos."

"Not with a keen eared conductor."

"Pish and tush!

Ralph laughed, loudly and happily.

"Anyway, Ralph, I must go or your wife's carer will think I'm after you."

Ralph chuckled again. They said goodbye and rung off.

Enid did eye him somewhat coldly but Ralph merely smiled inwardly. "Poor old biddy," he thought and then kicked himself for being uncharitable to a spinster who had possibly never had a man make a pass at her.

It was Ralph who made the next contact as a result of which he and Nell went to the Welsh National Opera doing Rigoletto at Southampton. The restaurants near the theatre knew of the trade they could expect afterwards and they had no trouble finding a delicious meal at an Italian one.

They had a happy time chatting, discussing the performance and gently teasing each other. They had become friends at Marlborough. Now that friendship was becoming more relaxed and therefore warmer. They laughed more easily and revealed more of their feelings about their offspring and their families. Ralph told her of his younger daughter's successful birth after a miscarriage and IVF. Nell was sympathetic and happy for the younger couple.

It was mid-October before they next contacted each other when Nell rang Ralph. A younger female voice answered the telephone.

"Oh!" said Nell. "That doesn't sound like Enid. Have I got the wrong number?"

"No, I imagine you want to talk to Dad. I'm his daughter, Jenny. I-I'm afraid he's not really up to talking to you at the moment. Our mother died last night."

"Oh, Jenny, I'm so sorry. My name's Nell Kirkby and your father and I met at Marlborough Summer School. He can't be in any shape at the moment. Will you tell him how sorry I am? His love for her despite her illness was wonderful. You must be very proud of him."

"Thank you Mrs Kirkby. We are and we love him to bits."

"I'm sure you do. I'll be in touch when things are getting back to normal. Goodbye, Jenny."

"Goodbye, Mrs Kirkby."

Jenny reported the call to Ralph who merely nodded but nevertheless took it in.

Enid was of course no longer necessary but Ralph nevertheless gave her a fortnight's notice. She was grateful. Although she could go and stay with her sister it gave her a breathing space to find a new appointment. There were no calls from Nell during that time and Enid did have the grace to admit to herself that there was nothing going on between Ralph and Mrs Kirkby.

Ralph did go to 'Creation', enjoyed it and, having talked to the landlady, managed to get him and Nell a late dinner at his local pub.

She did not overdo the sympathy.

"I was sorry to hear of Nessa's death," she said, "but in some ways, despite your love for each other, it must have been a relief to both of you."

Ralph nodded. "Nessa chiefly, I think. In her few moments of lucidity she was aware of the burden she was being and I have to admit that I also feel a certain amount of relief. All the same, despite her illness she remained the love of my life and I miss her. I suppose I missed her while she was so ill."

"I'm sure you do and, Ralph, your love for each other must have been something special that you never gave up on her."

Ralph merely nodded.

Nell decided to change the subject and to do so flippantly to disperse the emotion.

"So Messiah microbytes on Friday?"

"Cheeky woman!"

Nell was delighted. "I thought I might deign to come."

"Oh you did, did you, musical snob?"

She grinned. "Even 'Messiah' in small doses is good. I just hope your choir can do it justice!"

"Evil woman! We may be small and we may not have pretensions of grandeur like some quite good choirs I know but what we do sing is sung bloody well."

"Ooh, language!"

They both laughed.

"And will you come and have supper with me afterwards?"

"No! You will come and have pot luck with me."

"Thank you, Nell. I'd like that."

She smiled warmly and delightedly.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.