Third Time's the Charm - Cover

Third Time's the Charm

Copyright© 2014 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 5

"Mr. Austin?" Charles was just about to step off the boat. There was a plane to catch and he had appointments he had had to cancel.

The lawyer looked up, "Miss Te Wherowhero?"

"Hineahuone, please."

"What can I do for you, Hineahuone?"

She handed him a New Zealand dollar, "I need you to represent me."

"I'm not qualified to practice here."

"That doesn't matter. I want you to speak to your children."

"What's this about?"

"I know they have to go home ... I don't want them to sail. It would have been alright if they kept on ... instead they had to come back and I don't want them to die in the coming storm ... and they will if they sail the boat."

"You sound certain."

"I am ... I knew who they were before my father did."

"DAVID! ... GRACE!"

The clatter on the deck let him know they were coming.

"Daddy?"

"Ship your boat ... you're coming home with me."

"Yes, Sir," David said. He looked at Hineahuone, "If we fly are you staying?"

"As much as I don't want to stay I will if I know you two are safe."

"What about Geordie?"

"He still has two years before he can resign. The Navy recommends that junior officers not marry ... they insist on married captains. In two years Geordie will know. He does or he doesn't. I love him enough to let him go." Hineahuone added, "It's a Maori thing, David ... you, of all people, should understand. Just don't go home by the K5. Not even by the Migrant ship."

The Marina had phones on every pier, Grace called the airport, "I need six first class on ... hold it a second." She cupped the mouthpiece to her breast. In a kind of aside, she said, "Fuck ... that's cold. Charles ... what's your flight number?"

Council for the County Austin checked his ticket and passed on the information. Grace in turn, gave the numbers to the airport.

"Flight desk? Three of those tickets are diplomatic passports ... and they don't like to wait.

"Charge the tickets to David Anderson." She rapid fired the numbers into the phone.

David looked hurt. Mr. Austin laughed.

"Two hours? We'll be there." She hung up. "Pack ... light ... we'll buy everything we need when we get to the states. Hineahuone? Chop Chop ... now."

"David ... I'll pack, you arrange the boat. Go go go."

She tore a hundred pound note in half.

"Charles, go tell your taxi driver he'll get the other half when we get to the airport in time.

"Well ... what are you waiting for? Scoot!"

They looked like a family of mice surprised by the cat. Charles had the easiest task. The driver waited.

Mr. Austin asked, "Diplomats?"

Grace grinned, "The cats."

Charles looked shocked.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.