Mind the Time - Cover

Mind the Time

Copyright© 2014 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 17

"A GREEN CARD?!?" Gary exclaimed. "She RENTED you out as indigent labor?"

"Something like that ... except I paid for the privilege," Vee said. "Don't get your knickers in a wad ... I learned to fly everything Franklin Aviation had."

"Everything?" Gary snorted.

"Yup ... even the top-secret spy planes and their latest fighter."

"What was that doing at Franklin's?"

"Ham fisted military pilots. The problem with the FedA? They give the sons of the politicians all the important jobs."

"How did you get away with it?" Gary asked. "Didn't anybody say anything?"

"Last year, I discovered men think I'm beautiful," Vee grinned, "I don't mind telling you, that was a shock.

"So here's this 24 year old FedA pilot drooling after the little girl. Ben told him I was sweeping for lessons and I was getting to be a decent pilot. I looked all impressed by him and his plane. He asked if I'd like to sit in it."

She smiled. "I climbed in the cockpit and the pilot followed me up, Don't touch anything, he said. And I said, pointing at a switch, What does this do? ... one after another the guy told me what every switch did, what every gauge was for, how to start it, what weirdnesses it had ... everything. Then he got to the place where he said, Let me show you and he started it. I just took off."

Vee said. "He was jumping up and down and Franklin went over and calmed him down. I flew around the field twice, landed, and acted scared. Then the pilot was worried that he'd frightened me ... the little girl ... with the advanced license.

"Harold and Ben got the biggest kick out of it. You know they do all the restoration work for the Princessapality. Our S&S planes are better. Lighter, faster, more range and more maneuverability. Ever since '16 we consistently kick their asses during the NATO Summer Games."

"Did your mother know?"

"Heck no!" Vee exclaimed. "I did tell the General Admiral about it ... and everything. She was impressed."

"You know what would have happened if the SS had caught you?"

"Harm the heir apparent? Don't be silly ... If the UN didn't, NATO would."

"You think? How about if you just never came back? Or your trainer crashed? You have consistently refused the watch..."

"Grannie..."

"If they know you're dead..."

"Oooo ... I forgot about that."

"If you weren't an only child..."

"Ok, ok, ok ... I won't do it again. Grandmother is going to school with me."

"Junior?"

"The Wanzor ... That grandmother."

"Ah ... that's a load off..."

"Mr. Commissioner ... you worry about me ... why?"

"Your mother ... as long as she has the watch ... and she's not making you take it ... she's running the nation."

"It doesn't work for her ... not since I turned twelve." Vee confessed. "And don't spread that, please. I'm not supposed to tell."

"The country is defenseless and you don't want me to tell?"

"Junior doesn't need the watch."

That stopped him.

"When Too was murdered, Junior inherited the 'No Watch Powers'." Vee said, "The Powers that Be were really pissed about Too. But, if you know they're dead..." She shrugged.

"So ... we're safe?"

"As safe as we can make it. Everyday has decisions and the choice one makes can disrupt the strands of time. After a while it's impossible to just stay put because that's a decision too. Can we talk about something else?"

"Where is this aircraft? At Franklin's, I mean."

"Hanging from the ceiling of the big hangar." Vee suggested, "Why don't you pad him?"

There's quite a rigamarole in calling from one country to another ... even when the place you want to reach is a hop, skip and a jump away... 20 miles qualifies, doesn't it?

"Franklin's Aviation, Ben here."

"Access Commissioner Zalewski, the Princessapalia here. This is one of those pesky official calls."

"Commissioner Zalewski? How can I help?"

"You have an aircraft hanging from the ceiling of your big hangar."

"We do... she wants to buy it?"

"Yes, SHE does. Invoice it 90 please."

"Certainly. How is she?"

"Evidently she is going to college and soon. Sooner than she suspects, I expect."

"I know she will do well, she is an excellent student. I'll send the aircraft as soon as I can ... politics ... you know. Export duties, escorts, spies ... all that crap. They'll be flying it up." Ben said, "I can tell you the name of the pilot.

"Captain David James Austin." A pregnant pause, "The pilot of the fighter was quite taken with her."

"She's standing right here ... the blush clashes with her hair."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.