Pathways - Cover

Pathways

Copyright© 2014 by Coaster2

Chapter 10: My Own Little Bandbox circa 2002

Erotic Romance Story: Chapter 10: My Own Little Bandbox circa 2002 - Ian never had a girlfriend until his second year of college. Not by choice, but by circumstances. It was a tortuous trip from youth to adulthood and a career, but he persevered. This is the story of that journey.

Caution: This Erotic Romance Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   mt/ft   Consensual  

The rental market in Vancouver had always been very tight. Too few places for too many people. As a result, the prices were high because the demand was high. I had some money saved, but not enough to make a down payment on any kind of place that was within thirty miles of my job. It looked like staying at home and saving enough to get in on the bottom rung of the housing ladder was going to be my fate. Happily, I'd meet no resistance to that from my parents.

I went to work after a good ten-day rest and sat with Bob and Will O'Rourke, the current Vancouver manager. I knew Will quite well and we always got along. He was a savvy old veteran of the company and had contacts everywhere in the industry. I knew Will was nearing retirement in a few years, so I was lucky to be working with someone with his experience, one who was also willing to share it.

My first ten days would be to work with Will to learn just how this job was different from my Guelph experience. When he took his vacation or was away for any reason, I would be expected to step in and cover for him. I knew I had Bob as backup, so it wasn't a huge risk. My regular day-to-day job was to make sure the inventory was in good order (not too much, not too little, no deadwood), orders were being processed promptly, and the service department had a steady stream of work ahead of it. Our new computer programs were a big help in managing the business.

My work week was a conventional Monday thru Friday from eight to five plus every third Saturday morning. The fact that I was usually there by seven-thirty to avoid some of the morning rush hour was a given. We were open Saturday morning in the parts department and all day in the service department. I often dropped in to make sure there were no problems and I think that was appreciated by the guys who worked that day. The service department was our most profitable area and we were determined to offer the best and most complete service to our customers.

At one point, Bob considered going to a two-shift operation, but decided against it when he couldn't find enough qualified diesel mechanics to fill the shift. I knew he was once again considering it, and I would be involved with Will in determining if it was feasible. We certainly had enough opportunities to add to the business.

I spent the next six weeks learning how Will went about his job and what it would take for me to fill his shoes. It was an imposing task. Will introduced me to a number of people whom he considered friends as well as business associates, and it was there I saw just how much I had to learn. We weren't just selling parts and servicing equipment; we were finding out what our customers' needs were.

In the meantime, I struck it lucky finding a place to live. Out in Deep Cove, an old duplex was being refurbished and offered for rent. For most people, that was the back of beyond, located in Indian Arm, a genuine rain forest. For me, it was little more than twenty minutes to the shop. It wasn't cheap, but I saw it as a good solution for me for the present. It was a two bedroom, two bathroom unit with a small basement area for storage. There was a lean-to carport attached to the side.

The other side of the duplex had already been rented to two men whom I was pretty sure were gay. As long as they didn't hold noisy parties or failed to take care of the property, I was fine with that. When I told my parents about it, my mother was quite worried that the two neighbours would try and "convert me." Dad and I had a good laugh about that later, well out of Mom's hearing.

I scrounged enough furniture to have the basics, including a single bed for the second bedroom. I could see Kenny eyeballing it, thinking it would suit him, but I made sure he would be paying for the privilege. He was quite put out about that, but gave up the fight when I wouldn't bend. Mom and Dad supplied some spare furnishings, as did a couple of people at the shop, including Bob.

Mom insisted on buying the sheets and towels, as well as the kitchen utensils. By the time I moved in, I had everything I needed to live there comfortably. The first weekend after moving in I sat down and mailed a change of address to everyone I could think of, including Bernie and Deb. I also let them know my new phone number. I had a cell phone now, but I used it almost exclusively for work. It wasn't cheap, and neither were the usage charges.

Christmas was upon us almost immediately and I scrambled to find some presents for my parents and Kenny. I sent cards to Bernie and Deb, with my intention to call Deb between Christmas and New Year's to find out how her father was doing with his treatments.

"It's too early to tell, Ian," Deb said as we talked on the phone. "It takes a lot out of him. Twice we've had to stay overnight in Vancouver and drive home the next day. I hope we don't have to keep that up."

"What's the schedule for his treatments?" I asked.

"Every four weeks so far. They haven't suggested that he could reduce the frequency yet." I could hear the stress and worry in her voice.

"Do you drive him each time?" I asked, an idea beginning to form in my head.

"Yes. We get up very early to catch the first ferry from Langdale. That allows us to get to the hospital in plenty of time for his treatment. When it's over, I pick him up and we drive home if it's not too late for the last ferry. Otherwise we stay in a motel and catch a morning ferry when Dad's feeling up to it."

"That sounds really hard on you and your father," I said. "Can I make a suggestion?"

"Go ahead. What are you thinking?" she asked tentatively.

"Have him walk onto the ferry at Langdale and I'll pick him up and take him to the hospital. When he's done, I'll bring him to my place and he can rest up until he's ready to go home. It might mean he won't be back until the next day, but he'll have had a chance to recover."

"Oh, that's too much for you to do, Ian. You can't interrupt your life for us."

"Yes, I can. I want to. It's a small thing I can do for a friend. It's only once every month and I know it won't interfere with my job," I told her, crossing my fingers.

"There's a complication, Ian. Dad's too weak to walk very far after the treatments. I take a wheelchair with me when we go and we need it for his return trip."

"Not a problem," I said immediately. "Wheelchair passengers get priority, so if he uses the wheelchair to board in Langdale, I can pick him up in Horseshoe Bay. The same thing will work in reverse."

"I can't ask you to do this, Ian. It's too much." I could hear the indecision in her voice.

"Yes you can. I told you when you first mentioned your father's illness that anything I could do to help, I would do. This is the time to allow me to help."

I'd stated my case as forcefully as I could.

I was sure I could hear sniffles in the background before she said anything further.

"Very well. You are a special friend, Ian. I won't forget this and neither will my parents."

"Thank you for trusting me with this, Deb. I will take good care of him. I'm sure this will be better for both you and your father. Just call me and let me know when his next appointment is and I'll arrange everything."

"Thank you, Ian. Thank you so much. I'll fax you his schedule for the next three months. You'll know in advance when he will be coming your way."

I hung up the phone after some further talk, leaning back in my chair and wondering if I'd bitten off more than I could chew. I would need to talk to my boss about what I'd just agreed to. If I had to take my vacation a day at a time, I would do so. I wasn't going to let Deb or her parents down.


"So, as I understand it," William O'Rourke, my boss, summarized our discussion, "once every month, you have volunteered to drive this man from the ferry to the cancer clinic and back to the ferry when the treatment is concluded. On top of that, this man, whom you've only met once at your graduation, will be staying overnight in your home."

I nodded. "That's right. The Cummings family is stressed right now. If I can do a little bit to ease that stress, it will help all of them."

I was worried. This conversation wasn't going the way I had hoped, but before I had a chance of offer to use my vacation days, William continued.

"That's a pretty damn fine thing to do, Ian. Bob told me you were an exceptional young man, and I can see why he thinks so. You do what you have to do to help. Just let me know what days you won't be available. I'll make sure you don't have any obstacles."

I blinked in surprise. I wasn't expecting him to be so agreeable. He had a business to run. He was making allowances without even knowing Ralph Cummings, or his wife and daughter. It was another reason to feel good about working for this company.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.