A Kingdom Lost - Cover

A Kingdom Lost

Copyright© 2014 by Alexander Avarice

Part 12: Breath

(date ref june 13th vol21)

(INSERT SELDON)

(date ref june 14th vol 2)

EDWIN

The young lord was moping in his quarters, after witnessing Armand's re-enactment he had fled back to the bed, pretending to be still firmly asleep. The secret door had clicked open and closed again barely minutes later. Edwin had jumped apprehensively at the slight noise of his king's return, his body remembering the pain keenly, though his mind was over it. The king had walked over to Edwin's still form. Looking down on him from above for what seemed like an eternity, Edwin's heart pounding, fear and desire tight in his chest.

"leave. I have no use for you now" he said finally, his majestic voice quietly cold and imperious. Edwin had remained motionless, not sure that Armand knew he was awake "NOW" that time Armand's voice had left no room for questions or delay. In an instant Edwin was out of the bed and on his feet, he had stooped momentarily to grab his clothes and boots, then fled the king's rooms

Back in his barely used rooms they seemed cramped and dowdy when compared to the wealth of Armand's, though even these rooms told of a greater wealth than the marble palace of Surrendia. The room seemed hollow and empty, the air at once thick and non existent. Still undressed – he had fled through the Stronghold still unclothed, clutching his things to his chest – he sat on the bed. There was, he noticed, signs that someone had slept on the bed. He felt a twinge of painful emotion as he realised that Silk had, at least once, waited in these rooms for his return. Edwin cried for a moment, the pain of his lost love weighing down on him in a flood of emotion. Once cleansed, he lay on the bed dimly staring through a beam of light. His eyes focused of their own accord on the dust motes disturbed by his entrance as they floated through the radiance, his mind though was blank, spent.

Edwin had always been stormy, prone to climatic mood swings, one moment near euphoria, the next trawling through the depths of his own personal demons. Silk had been such a ray of light and joy, that he had kept these pessimistic urges to a minimum, now without his cheering influence Edwin felt them returning.

Armand's abrupt, uncaring dismissal had torn something vital inside the lad. Edwin did not know exactly what had changed, but it hurt. Silently he prayed to the protective goddess that Armand's words had not meant that their affair was over, they certainly could be read that way. He had obviously stumbled on to Armand's biggest secret, he realised now exactly how dangerous the Carthian king actually was. Still though Edwin knew that he could not live apart from this man, his king. And if Armand decided to kill him too for learning his secret, at least it would be death by his hand and not some nameless guard.

(date ref: june 16th vol2)

ARMAND

It was with no little satisfaction that Armand watched Edwin flee. The look on the Lord's face when he had ordered him away, it was exquisite agony. With cold glee he watched his still naked form scurry back to his own quarters, Armand knew for certain that he would not go to Silk's rooms. Their partnership had been irrevocably smashed. For certain the lord would go to his own rooms and mope there until called for. The Carthian king laughed out loud, and strode to his favourite chair, sleep forgotten. Facing the balcony the king sat awaiting morning, pacing himself with the bottle of laudanum which always seemed to await him these days.

Even when the sun rose, Armand had several hours to brood before his valet arrived, of course he could have sent for the lad, but preferred to keep to his usual timetable, and the sun was well risen by the time Leander knocked on the door. The lad cautiously peered round the door, almost comically, the boy was quick to realise that a hasty entrance might well intrude upon ... royal affairs.

"Leander! Good. Do come in, I have been awake for some time" the king surprised himself at his own good humour, but put it down to the laudanum. The valet looked relieved "Your highness" he said, bowing respectfully, then he efficiently began his tasks. The proceedings were interrupted by a knock at the door. Leander left to deal with it, while Armand soaked languidly in hot perfumed waters

"your highness" Leander had returned, his voice tinged with slight apprehension, the king raised an eyebrow as a signal to impart the news "highness, the knight, Sir Ethelridge wishes an audience with you – he seems somewhat ... anxious. I have shown him to your day room"

"Good, good" Armand replied offhandedly "do continue" the servant hesitated, obviously the knight had been impatient as well as anxious. Armand however, not caring about what other people thought of him or his actions – only that he should be perfect in his own eyes was not to be rushed "well, I'm not seeing him like this!"

(date ref June 18th vol. 2)

SIR Ethelridge

The knight had strode confidently to his kings apartments. His mind focused, ready to challenge the monarch about his indolent method of ruling the country. He had not expected to be kept waiting so long. Although, as he paced Armand's day room, in retrospect it was obvious.

The doors to Armand's apartments had greeted him like two black voids. The wood heavy and ancient. Once, a long time ago they had been carved by an expert hand, the outline of the Stronghold's core mountain still clearly visible, but all other details blurred by time and the wear of countless hands. The servant had responded swiftly to his knock

"I am here to speak with the king" the knight announced with some gusto, hoping that Armand would hear him.

"His Royal Highness-" the servant said, voice full of self-importance far beyond his few years "-is indisposed at this time. You may await him in the day room if you wish, but I know not how long he'll be"

The knight had only seen this young servant a couple of times before; he disliked his confident manner, and distrusted his youth. Surely a clever ambitious young man would only be trouble as the kings personal servant. As much as he disliked that Painton, at least he was spineless enough to know his place. Ethelridge glanced testily at the boy before gruffly striding past him "I'll wait"

Like everything about Armand, the knight found the kings rooms to be too pretty, to pleasing to the eye. The old war-knight glared at the furniture in general, as if the lifeless artefacts could yield clues about their owner. Uncomfortably the knight tried sitting in first one chair, then another, they were just too comfortable. He squirmed irritably for a few moments, trying to sit on the edge of the chair before giving up and pacing the room instead.

He felt that the king had kept him waiting an inordinate length of time, but eventually the king strode in, as dollified as ever. Inwardly Ethelridge scowled; it was not seemly for a man, and the King of Carthia to be be-decked like some lady of the night. Externally he kept a respectful expression, Armand was difficult at the best of times, and he had no wish to make his mission harder than it already was. Bowing low he said "Your Highness. Thank you for your time"

"Not at all Sir Ethelridge – please, do sit" the young king was smiling now, revealing a row of unnaturally white teeth. The knight sat, amusing himself with the thought that whatever made his teeth so white would probably make them fall out prematurely also. Ethelridge sat tentatively on a straight backed chair, trying to remain on edge, and inwardly scowled again as Armand sat sideways in a padded chair, a leg casually thrown over one arm

"So, my good Knight, what urgencies bring you here?" Armand asked

"Your Highness" the knight began, a little more stiffly than he had intended, he tried to sound a little more friendly, or at least respectful "with all due respect, there are a number of duties that have been somewhat ... neglected as of late. Of course with the recent turmoil within the castle it was inevitable, and the ... distractions, of the Surrendians arrival. But it is, or has been in the past, my duty to bring more mundane matters to your attention. Perhaps now the time has come for these matters to be addressed?"

"Such as?" the king batted his eyelids suggestively, though Ethelridge could hardly fathom just what they might be suggesting, but he blushed indignantly none the less.

"There are documents to be signed, troops to be inspected, villains to be sentenced ... a hundred little things your highness"

In an offhand manner that grated against the knight Armand waved his words away "of course Ethelridge. Thank you for bringing this urgency to my attention. I have all of this currently under consideration" the king rose to leave "- I will inspect the troops this very afternoon, I'm sure you will have them in good order" he took a step towards the door then added "anything else urgent?"

The knight flinched at the kings tone of voice, full of barely disguised mockery. Red with anger he muttered "no Sire" and strode from the kings apartments.

(date ref june vol 2)

ALEXANDRA

KTARTH AND ARIA

(DATE REF JUNE 25TH VOL 2)

ARMAND

The faultless smile dropped from the kings face the instant Ethelridge left, as if it had never been there. Truculently Armand scowled at the closing door. He had never liked that knight. Even as a carefree boy Armand had found him to be stuffy and stuck on regulations – too like his father. The young king sighed, despite their differences the knight was right, it took some effort to keep a kingdom the size of Carthia running smoothly – even in peacetime, and currently they were preparing for war. He had never been one for the petty issues, and even now found it hard to address them. The idea of inspecting His army though, a chance for some gloating in front of the Surrendian's, was too good an opportunity to pass over. The Army needed to be sure of it's king, Armand had attended enough classes to know that much.

"fetch me some armour Leander" he called, returning to his bed chamber "and tell the Surrendian's that they are invited to attend a muster" the servant disappeared with a smart bow and returned in due course with some heavily ornamented cream and gold armour with a helmet and long cloak to match.

Outside Armand found Edwin already waiting "Lord Edwin, good to see you – and where is King Silk, he will be joining us shortly I assume?" Edwin mumbled a reply, and Armand was pleased to see that the Lord had wit enough to chose a forest green suit to wear, the army would not take kindly to the Surrendian interloper wearing their king's colours. They – for the muster had attracted quite a turnout – made their way out to the stables, Armand shot Edwin a sidelong glance, he decided that the lad was probably too clever. If he were not so emotional he could have been a formidable opponent. Certainly if he were still on Silk's side recent events would have been very different. Armand entertained the idea that Edwin was just pretending to have fallen out with Silk, that they were toying with him, but dismissed the idea. The intimacies they had shared precluded that option, and besides Silk was too open, too childish to play such complicated games. That he had not attended Armand's muster was a serious flaw.

At the stables Armand had his fathers ageing war-horse Ignoble saddled. It was so old that too much excitement would probably kill it, but the army would respond well to the symbol. With a full honour guard the king rode out of the keep, Edwin and the gathered group of nobles- those who wanted to see and be seen rode a respectful distance behind. The large common fields where the army awaited inspection lay a good hundred feet below the inner keep and the party was afforded a generous view of the assembled ranks as they slowly descended. The king was impressed, he had never seen a massed army before, and had underestimated it's strength despite the many tales told him in his childhood. He estimated that there stood easily ten thousand men, all rigid to attention.

A lone trumpet sounded, the seemingly 'toy' soldiers stood even straighter, Armand's ears caught a faint vibration of the synchronised motion. A figure turned, looking up at the approaching party, then it turned and wheeled its mount, and cantered up to meet them. Armand scowled when he saw that it was Ethelridge who approached them, but had a pleasant expression by the time the knight reined in.

"your highness" he shouted into the wind "Your troops await your inspection"

Armand nodded the briefest of acknowledgements as he passed, and the knight fell in behind him. Eventually they had descended into the field, down so close to the Outer Wall they were sheltered from the wind, and could talk easily. Trumpets from each legion sounded, the army hailing their king as one, shouting allegiance. Even Armand, used to the adoration of those around him could not fail to be impressed by the sound. Thousands of voices shouting his name – he had no time to bask, for at the sound of the trumpets some distant memory had stirred in the beasts dusty old mind. His ears suddenly pricked, he reared, kicking out with his front feet, and neighing defiantly. Armand smiled and patted the animal, he felt a moment of respect for it. In the wars the horse had, with the aid of a deadly horn attached to his faceplate, killed as many Surrendians as any soldier. He had been a formidably enemy, and Armand respected that.

The army cheered for Ignoble, who snorted impatiently, his diminishing brain expecting the thrill of war, nostrils flared for the smell of fresh blood.

(date ref: june 29th vol 2)

EDWIN

The lords eyes never left Armand's figure. The spectacle of the Carthian army massed below was lost to him. He only had eyes for the king. He looked every bit the dashing young hero in armour with the long cloak that flowed out behind him. When the old nag had reared, Edwin's heart had leaped, lest Armand be thrown and disgraced in front of, well, everyone. But the Carthian King had sat easily, in no danger of being thrown.

It was only when the mass of people cheered that Edwin noticed the sheer size of the army. It easily outnumbered Silk's own paltry rabble. At the head of each legion seasoned leaders stood. Surrendia had no soldiers with proper battle experience, these men – and women before him had wiped them out, and no wonder. If Armand had yet more units he could call upon his homeland had no hope of victory, they would be annihilated in open conflict. Despite the lack of wind Edwin shivered.

From the group of hangers-on Edwin watched as Armand spoke to his head knight, their voices low and intent. He could not make out the words but guessed that the topic was logistics. Eventually though the King and his entourage took a slow walk round each of the units. Edwin found himself rapidly stunned into an open-mouthed silence. Not only from the sheer numbers, but from how well equipped each man was, every legion kitted out in brand new weapons and armour, for the horses too, no expense had been spared. Surely Carthia was even wealthier than Surrendia had expected. But then they had judged these people by their own standards, the conclusions wildly inaccurate. Edwin was glad he had chosen to be on Armand's side. Hannah and Silk were dammed.

Pennons fluttered from every cohort, with trumpet blasts announcing the king's progress. It took several hours to complete the tour, with Armand stopping at the head of each unit to address the men, cement loyalty. Edwin wished that Silk had the sense to accept Armand's invitation, surely he should have seen this for himself, perhaps then he would have reconsidered his position. They might have had their differences, but Edwin still had many friends back in Surrendia, many of whom would die in the pointless war which was now inevitable. They would be fighting a battle that would be lost before the very first battle was fought. A darker part of the lord would have liked to have observed the expression on Silk's face when he realised just how totally out classed he was, but his former friend had denied him this too.

The dutiful army had begun to sag visibly by the time Armand concluded his inspection. Even the hardened generals looked a little worse for wear. Edwin stretched and yawned in the saddle, his behind long since numbed. The commanders of each legion gathered round Armand for final orders and praise, they were all talking enthusiastically with much arm waving. Armand was managing to look both fresh and interested still, but Edwin had noticed him drinking from a hip flask, which no doubt contained Laudanum. Finally all seemed satisfied, the generals rode off, and the orderly army broke up into individuals again as they were dismissed.

Glad it was over the others in Edwin's group headed back for the Inner Keep, keen to get out of the saddle, and relieve their tired muscles. Edwin lingered. Hoping that Armand would favour him with a word or two

"Still here Lord Edwin?" a melodious voice said catching Edwin unaware, he had been watching the others winding their way up to the Keep. Delighted he turned, it was of course Armand

"I'm afraid so, Sire" he bowed smiling, careful to maintain some formality even though no one was with in earshot. Edwin never knew how to judge Armand, he was like a highly-strung horse, power and beauty bridled, but liable to break free without warning "I was very impressed by your army" he added. Armand gave him a sharp look "Indeed?" the single word asking a myriad of questions

"yes your Majesty. I have not seen such an assembly before. It out strips those I have seen in Surrendia."

"Quite" the king said in a tone that effectively ended the conversation. Armand gave Ignoble a sound kick in the ribs, unconcerned it resumed its slow plod back towards the Keep. Needing no bidding Edwin's mount followed, food and stables on it's mind.

QUEEN ALEXANDRA INSERT V 2

QUEEN ALEXANDRA

(JULY 4TH VOL 2)

morning dawned, and found Alexandra still in Louie's rooms. She stirred under the warming rays of the sunlight. The chambers felt empty, as if they were merely lodgings as some roadside tavern, not her lifelong home. For the first in weeks Alexandra felt awake, and alive – almost like her former self – the young warrior queen. She knew what had to be done, and that she had to act swiftly before all was lost.

The queen moved swiftly through the keep, ignoring the inevitable people she met along the way. She found that the whole Stronghold had the strange empty feel to it, but she was too preoccupied to really notice the change in atmosphere, her thought lay elsewhere. Her maid sprang up from a seat as she entered, evidently the girl had been awaiting her return

"Its time to sort this mess out. Summon the Barbarians, King Silk, Lady Morgan, Lord Blackbriar and the Knight Deerstone" she ordered "and be quick about it"

"And Sir Ethelridge, your Highness?" the maid queried, he had been Alexandra's most trusted advisor all her life

"No. it is imperative that he nor my son know about this" the maid bowed and ran off to fetch them.

the queen paced the room impatiently while she waited. Nervous of being uncovered, of what she would propose, and scared of being betrayed. Surely it would mean her life. She hoped that the few people she still trusted were worthy of her trust still. The maid returned swiftly, reporting that they were all on their way, she had brought some food, realising a little of what was to come. Bethany had not been Alexandra's maid for several years without learning how her mind worked. Lady Morgan was the first to arrive. With a deep breath she bade her sit down

"Lady Morgan, I am pleased to see you"

"and I you your Highness" Morgan said sitting down

"I fear though that very shortly you may not be so pleased. We spoke recently, I asked if you would do something for me"

"Yes?" the girl sounded more serious now. The queen looked her in the eye earnestly, and took hold of her hand

"time is running out, I will go into details soon – when the others arrive, but I have to tell you that the time has come for you to serve your country. Try and accept your fate with good nature, the fate of our land lies in your hands, it demands your co-operation."

"I will do whatever you command your Highness" they were interrupted by a knocking at the door- the summoned men had arrived. They all took places round the table, and sat in silence eyeing each other – and Silk with some suspicion.

"I have called you all here, in the strictest of confidence. Not a word of what I am about to say must be repeated outside of this circle. If you are unwilling to agree to this I must ask you to leave now" no one moved, though Silk looked somewhat nervous. Morgan was deathly pale, Alexandra sympathised for her, she sat rigid as if awaiting her death sentence. The Queen hoped that it would not be "good. The current political climate is somewhat volatile at present. Perhaps more so than any of you realise. The Great War that barely a lifetime ago ripped through both Carthia and Surrendia was a great blow to us both. I fought out there on that bloody battlefield. Killing alongside my husband, and many other great people – I include your father in that Silk. For he was a great man. I fought for peace, for prosperity, fought for life. Times were very different back then. It seemed that open conflict was the only solution. I can not sit by and allow things to escalate to another war. It must be stopped. Now. It is true, as we all know, that Armand is my son, my only son. But I feel that it is obvious to all of you that he is not fit to rule our land. True he has had scant time to adjust to the rigors of kingship. But I feel that he will never be fit to rule, I think also that if he is not removed from the throne with all due haste he will lead us into another conflict. I am not willing to sit by and allow innocent people to be slain to satisfy his thirsts, be they Carthian or Surrendian" she paused for a moment, allowing them to digest that bombshell before dropping another " also, I must tell you something which will shock you all greatly, but for its outrageousness it is none the less true. It was Armand who killed my beloved Louie" the room erupted into voices, she held up her hands for silence "who else could have done it? Who else could have entered his rooms undetected, and who else could have out duelled Louie, for his sword was with him" they seemed to accept her evidence, so she continued, with a bracing deep breath.

"Armand must be removed from the throne"

"You mean to assassinate him?" Lord Blackbriar asked, his voice aghast, the revelations had horrified him, shaking his beliefs to the very root, he was looking at her as if she had gone mad

"no. that would never work, his treachery must be exposed. This truth that I have shared with you would never be believed unless exposed. I am still a woman of honour. I have a plan. I propose a new way forward. A union between our two countries" she gestured at Silk and Morgan, praying that she had not gone too far, placed her trust in the wrong places But there was no time for hesitation, for tiptoeing.

"you want to give Carthia to the Surrendians?" this time it was Sir Deerstone who spoke "your Highness, I will do as you command, but surely this is madness – I beg you pardon – but what did our fathers fight and die for in the Great War of which you just moments ago spoke so nobly of? Surely not for this"

"I would remind you, Sir, that too fought out there on the field. I still carry the scars. I would not 'just' hand over the crown and our country so flippantly, and nor would I expect anyone else to agree to that. I spoke of a union, a marriage. I would also remind you all that the honourable Lady Morgan carries closely royal blood. Her father is Louie's own brother. If she had been born a male she would be automatically next in line. As it is custom dictates that she cannot rule. But surely, in the future her son can take his place on our throne. But the details of the crown can be finalised at a later date. There is much to do before that eventuality arises. We are all agreed that Armand is unfit to rule, thereby we must take the first steps to exposing that inadequacy. The first step is Midian. It is there that we will make our stand – we will be safe there"

"Your Highness" it was Aria who spoke, her voice calm and authoritative. The years of subjugation, stripped of her native titles had not removed the obvious nobility within her – albeit a nobility alien to the Carthian way of life "- Armand has assembled the bulk of his armies already. He will take Carthia to was against Surrendia soon, in a matter of days the men will be ready to march, they all but await his orders"

"What do you make of all this Silk?" The lad jumped at the mention of his name, Alexandra hoped that the others had not noticed. Perhaps this boy was no more fit to rule than Armand, though he would certainly be easier to control than Armand. That in itself would be a bonus. As the Surrendian stood he managed some semblance of authority, and when he spoke, he spoke with a kings voice. Proving he did indeed have a little of what it took to be a good ruler

"As would be expected, history, as I was taught it varies somewhat from your own. But as the gracious Alexandra has said, times were different back then. My people, as your do, wish only for peace and prosperity. I have no wish to send my fellow citizens to their deaths, nor would I wish to simply hand over my crown to a foreign force. But I believe in Alexandra. I have come here and found people not dissimilar to the friends I left at home. Despite Alexandra's participation in the war, I have also found her to be a kind and discerning woman. The union of which she speaks seems a peaceful and logical way forward for our nations. I have no designs on your crown, I would however be most honoured to wed the Lady Morgan she is both beautiful and quick-witted, and if the union brings our two nations closer together it can not be a bad thing. As Alexandra has said the details of rulership can be finalised later. It is clear that Armand threatens all of us equally. Let us deal with one problem at a time. The solutions will become apparent in due course. I for one will support your efforts Queen Alexandra"

"so" Alexandra asked as Silk sat back down "will you follow me once more into the fray?" there were mumbled agreements from the assembled knights and nobility. Satisfied with that small victory, the queen got down to business "Lord Blackbriar, Sir Deerstone, you are both to leave the Stronghold as soon as possible, summon men loyal to them, and march for Midian. We will meet you there shortly"

"Why Midian?" asked Sir Deerstalker "why not bring him down here?"

"There is more at stake than you obviously realise, good Knight" Alexandra answered cuttingly "Midian will be our standing. All will become obvious in due course. I hope you are not having second thoughts?"

"No ... of course not Ladyship ... are you sure this is what you want. I must say this. Are you really willing to give up your lineage?"

"I realise that most of the court consider Midian to be inhabited by only insects and to be useless, if not backwards, but I for one see the fen-lands as they are, a wondrous, bountiful vista full of wealth and rich culture, the forces of Midian were our backbone in the last war, without them the outcome could have been very different. I would be proud for Carthia's royal line to be carried on by Morgan"

"I meant no disrespect, your Highness, Lady Morgan"

(date ref july 28th vol 2)

LORD BLACKBRIAR

Lord Blackbriar strode happily away from the meeting with Alexandra, a new sense of purpose in his stride. It would feel good to be on a mission, after all that is what he had trained all his life for. He had joined the army as soon as he was old enough, after the finale of the Great war though. He had requested positions on Carthia's furthest borders, defending her territories from the barbarians, and other primitive cultures, but his duties had seemed paltry, and perhaps mundane when compared to the heroic battles of the Great War. In his chest beat the heart of a general, one keen to fight and die for his country.

He returned to his quarters only briefly. His set of rooms were small when compared to others of his status, but Blackbriar had spent much of his life out on manoeuvres, and so needed very little to be comfortable. Indeed, even now he took only the most hard wearing clothes and a spare pair of boots – save of course for his armour and weapons. What good are material possessions he had often remarked – will a fine carving save your life? Can fine clothes help when you lie mortally wounded on some foreign battlefield? No? then to hell with all of them! With a final glance around his recent home Lord Blackbriar strode away.

The Lord circled round the army's encampment to a legion who would favour the Queen over Armand. He knew that Alexandra had specified that their discussion was to be kept secret, but he had fought alongside many of the generals and knew where their allegiances would lye. Reining in his mount at a guard post he ordered "Fetch me General Banbury – on the double" he did not really have the authority to summon the general so curtly, but felt that he did not have the time for ceremony.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.