Welcome to Brownwood

by DFWBeast

Copyright© 2014 by DFWBeast

Fiction Story: This is a short detailed description of Brownwood. It's intended to be used as a supplement or prelude to any of the Brownwood Collection stories. It is NOT a story in itself, so voting has been turned off.

Tags: Fiction  

Author's Note: This is not a complete story and is intended as supplement for stories that are part of the Brownwood Collection. Hopefully it will give readers a more detailed description of the Brownwood setting. Since this isn't an actual story, scoring has been turned off.

The following excerpts were taken from a business relocation scouting report from Meyer, Jameson and Associates to an undisclosed client.

Updated: August 2014

General City Overview

Brownwood is a small Midwestern city of about 100,000 people located about an hour to an hour and a half north of a major metropolitan city known locally as "The City." It is the county seat and thus houses the Johnson County Courthouse and correctional facility. Crystal Lake State Park, located five miles to the northwest, is also economically and socially tied to Brownwood.

Logistical Makeup

Brownwood has two main thoroughfares; Interstate 45 is the primary north-south avenue while State Highway 10 provides east-west access. Railroad tracks that run NNW-SSE mark the eastern most edge of the city. State Park Road provides the western border. Main Street located just west of Interstate 45, runs north and south and is an integral business thoroughfare.

Additional east-west access in Brownwood is provided by North Precinct Line and Southtown Road. These also indicate the northern and southern boundaries of the city.

Historical Landmarks and Local Flavor

Brownwood has several historical landmarks that add to the personality of this city. The Hawthorne Hotel was once one of the premier hotels in the state and the Collins Feed Mill is still the largest grain mill in the state. Both have been in operation since the 1950's.

The most identifiable landmark is the Town Square. It consists of a large city park that splits Main Street in the heart of downtown Brownwood. It is surrounded by a multitude of businesses including the First Bank of Brownwood, the Hawthorne Hotel on the north side and City Hall and the Johnson County Courthouse on the south.

One of the more colorful examples of local folklore revolves around the term, Johnson County Princess, or JCP. Multiple generations ago, a family with five daughters moved to Brownwood. They were exceptionally beautiful. Their beauty became so widely known that their female descendants were highly prized and referred to as Johnson County Princesses.

These physical traits have been passed down through the generations and are still very noticeable. A typical JCP is around five feet tall, very petite, round face, small upturned nose with a childlike voice. They are also very well endowed, to the point that it looks almost abnormal on their small frames. They're best described by the locals as ''the result of one of Santa's elves mating with a Barbie doll!"

Economics

There are three principal economic centers in Brownwood. The first is in the northeast corner of the city where you find the Mid-State Battery plant and the Collins Feed Mill. The second is Main Street and the Town Square which is the heart of the city. Finally to the southeast is the Brownwood Industrial Park and Lakewood Mall.

Besides these business centers, one can easily identify the economic layout of Brownwood by observing its housing additions. The larger more expensive homes being in the north while the low income housing and mobile home parks being off of Southtown Road.

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.