Darsonus and Ree'al - Cover

Darsonus and Ree'al

Copyright© 2014 by novascriptus

Chapter 8

Two months later Darsonus and Ree'al found themselves south in the sparse grasslands of Amanora. They were presented with a 't' in the road. To the west were mountains, green in the distance. To the east was more of the flat rocky grasslands.

"Do you have a preference?" Ree'al asked.

"The mountains are prettier."

"They're also a pain to walk up and down," Ree'al remarked. "Oh well, mountains it is."

A day's walk brought the mountains only a little closer as did the next day. On the third day the grasslands began to climb and a tree line was visible ahead.

"Dar, stop." Something in Ree'al's voice made Darsonus look towards Ree'al instead of scanning for danger. Ree'al's face was emotionless, gone was his ubiquitous grin. Dar followed Ree'al's gaze but saw nothing other than the road disappearing into red pines a half-a-mile ahead.

"What is it, Ree'al? I don't see anything but the road and the trees."

"Look to the right of the road. Do you see the small device?"

"I see something red, but I can't make out. Ree'al, what is it? What has you so worried?"

"It's my death," Ree'al's voice was flat without emotion. "And I don't expect my after-life to be enjoyable."

Darsonus was shocked as Ree'al knelt and placed his head on the large man's foot. "Darsonus, I apologize for getting you involved in this. I did not believe that I would be followed. Although our Law allows an honor-less man to be hunted down, most believe it is beneath them. I beg of you, turn around and walk away. It is not your fight."

"How can you say such a thing to me?" Darsonus yanked his foot away. "Stand-up. I would no more leave you to fight alone than you would leave me."

"Dar, however many there are, they will be the best. They are better than you are. We will both be killed if you join me. If you walk away they will leave you unharmed."

"If they can kill me and you," Darsonus said. "Then you don't stand a chance alone."

A sinking feeling in his stomach was so strong that for a moment Ree'al couldn't speak. Then with his head on the ground in complete submission he spoke. "Darsonus I am so very sorry. I should never have let you follow me. It is my dishonor alone, let me fight it alone."

"Get up off your knees and be a man. I'm a man. If I am killed, then it was meant to be. Dieing beside my friend Ree'al is a good death."

"You were never very smart Dar." Ree'al spoke as he stood up.

"When you are as handsome as me, you don't need to be smart." With a chuckle, Ree'al embraced his friend. After a moment he relaxed. He turned and walked towards the pines.

"Who are they, Ree'al? Why do they hunt you?"

It was a moment before Ree'al spoke. He was luxuriating in being alive. He walked through grasslands, probably for the last time. The answer to Darsonus' question was not something he wanted to think about in his last hours, but the man who would die beside him deserved an answer.

"I awoke in the palace as assassins stormed in. I was able to defend myself from them, even though 4 were sent to kill me." He glanced towards Darsonus. "At that time I practiced daily, religiously. Having survived, I ran towards my father's room. I knew that he would be the main target."

"When I passed my young brother's room," Ree'al continued. "I saw that he was hard pressed by three men. A fourth man lay bleeding on the floor. It is still so clear to me. The injured man was holding his stomach, trying to keep his intestines in. He had a look of intense concentration on his face. He was paying no attention to what went on around him." Ree'al gave a quiet chuckle. "You notice the strangest thing in battle and you sometimes you miss the obvious. I had been cut on my left arm and could hardly raise it, but I didn't notice until I tried to join the fight. Still I moved to engage the assassins, I stabbed one in the back. My heart lightened, one-on-one brother is a very dangerous man and I was well practiced at fighting with one weapon. I held my opponent at bay until Naroso, my brother, killed his man and then mine."

Ree'al shook his head. "We were so caught up in our victory that we didn't notice the assassin whose belly was slashed. He must have decided that he couldn't kill Naroso or me and so he moved to kill Issyl. He was too far away for us to stop him in time to save Issyl. I still don't know why I did it, but suddenly my tanja was flying through the air. I must have thrown it although I don't remember doing it or even thinking about it."

After a long pause Darsonus asked, "And Issyl?"

"She was saved. The tanja went straight into the assassin's throat."

"You loved her didn't you?" Darsonus asked. Ree'al looked at him in surprise.

"You are always the romantic," Darsonus said. "And your eyes changed when you said her name."

"It doesn't matter," Ree'al said softly. "She is my brother's wife."

"So you threw your weapon, others have broken the taboo. You sacrificed yourself for someone you loved," Darsonus said as he laid his hand on Ree'al's shoulder. "There is no dishonor in that act."

"Perhaps not in your land, but certainly mine." Ree'al could not bring himself to tell the rest of the tale to Darsonus.

The two men walked towards the pines. Each wrapped in his own thoughts as they drew closer.

"You were in a palace, you said."

"Yes." Ree'al's answer was short and sharp.

"What is you rank or title? Your real one?" Darsonus asked.

"I really was a prince, but not anymore."

"Did you have more brothers?"

"No, just one."

"You gave away a kingdom to save your younger brother's wife?" Darsonus said in awe. "Can I lie and say it was my deed?"

Ree'al only nodded.

"Now we have something to live for," Darsonus said with a smile. "Thousands of women will spread their legs for me when I tell your saga."

Ree'al spoke sadly. "We have to live for the story to help you fuck every woman in the Eastern world."

"Then let's win! How will they attack us?"

"If they have honor, they will make a formal declaration of intent. That is when you can leave." Darsonus scowled at Ree'al's remark.

Ree'al sighed, then continued, "one will say that he intends to kill me. The other will have two choices, he can declare his intention to kill you or to kill me. One more time I ask you, if both declare against me, do nothing. If they kill me, you can walk away with honor."

"As for walking away with honor, I don't believe it. If you kill the first," Darsonus asked. "Can we both attack the second?"

"No!" Ree'al said will surprise. "It will be an honor fight, I would be forced to kill you."

Darsonus shook his head. "You are fucked in the head, my small friend."

"And so are you if you follow me."

"Stop trying, Ree'al. You are beginning to piss-me-off and you keep saying I need a clear head to fight."

Ree'al thought about the situation. Something didn't feel right. Why was the flag at the edge of the woods?

"Dar, listen closely to my next words. We will stop short of the trees. If more than two warriors appear, run as if all the husbands in the world were after you. You will need all your speed to keep up with me. Drop your pack and all that might slow you down."

"Why?" Darsonus was puzzled.

"Because they'd have no honor if they brought more and we wouldn't need to fight them. If we must fight use your reach. Don't let your opponent get close to you. Your strength will be a surprise, don't waste it."

"I don't run from a fight."

"Learn!"


They stopped about a 100 yard short of the pines. Ree'al recognized the device. Crossed swords, white on a blood red background. In Ree'al's mind, the flag answered the question of why two would travel so far to kill him. It was the flag of the Valnessa clan. Ree'al had made blood enemies of several Valnessa warriors.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.