Return to Eden - Cover

Return to Eden

Copyright© 2014 by Colin Barrett

Chapter 7

"Sir, I'm really sorry, none of that should have happened."

Zo was visiting again, this time all but abasing himself in shame for having, he felt, inadvertently exposed Igwanda to the risk the colonel had undergone. For a moment he continued to stumble on until Igwanda stopped him.

"It is quite all right, Sergeant. I am, as you see, unharmed by my small ... adventure. A slight bruise, perhaps, nothing more."

That was a far cry from how he'd described the incident to Meiersdottir. "Amanda, I am sorry to say it but the man is quite vicious," he'd told her. "He sought to do me serious injury, and would have done so had he not been prevented. I think he is one of those who rejoice in others' misfortunes, especially if he has himself inflicted those misfortunes. It is highly regrettable that he was assigned to this mission, and it would be best to keep him from any contact at all with the Edenites."

"I think I can handle it, Carlos," she'd replied. "Shouldn't really be all that hard. But thanks for the head's-up."

To Zo, though, military protocol demanded a completely different response.

"Your major is quite an able fighter," he said. "There is much to learn from him."

"I guess," said the sergeant dourly. "I think I told you, Colonel, he does that hand-to-hand real good. But I don't see how that's much use where we're going, the way I remember it—"

"I share the recollection," Igwanda cut him off. "Even so, whether it is of value here or in later life, he offers skills that may well be of use, even to the point of saving your life at some time. Attend what he teaches, and encourage your soldiers to do likewise."

"Well, OK, sir, the skill part," said Zo. "I can see that. But the rest of it—I mean, he could've killed you, Colonel, if he'd connected with that heel stomp."

"But he did not," Igwanda said smoothly. "And with you and the others to restrain him I cannot feel that I was ever in serious danger. Further, he is correct in one regard: the fact than an enemy has fallen at your hands does not necessarily render him out of the fight. One must disable him before it is safe to move on."

"I guess," the sergeant said. "I mean, you're right, I know it. But this is just training, and you aren't even in his command, you're retired and out of practice..." He trailed off, giving Igwanda a speculative look.

"Very much out of practice, Sergeant," the colonel said, ignoring the look. "And he is of course younger, and quite able."

"Yes, sir," said Zo absently, maintaining his scrutiny. He shook his head sharply. "Even so, I still wanted to apologize to you for what happened. And to ask you, too, since you've seen him in action now, how you feel—"

"It is not my place to criticize your superior, Sergeant," Igwanda interrupted. "Had anyone in my command sought out second opinions on my own practices, I would not have regarded it well if those from whom such opinions were sought had deemed it proper to criticize me, as you may well imagine."

Zo nodded. "Yes, sir," he said again.

"Discipline must be maintained, Sergeant," the colonel continued. "Each officer has his—or her—own methods, and they are all deserving of respect. Breaches in the chain of command are never desirable, and can lead to— well, I think you are aware of their potentially disastrous effect."

"Thank you, sir."

As the sergeant turned to leave, Igwanda again stopped him. "Your thinking, Zo"—it was the first time he'd used the sergeant's name—"is nevertheless commendable. It is well that you employ your mind independently. Do not lose that capacity. If you have not considered OTS" (Officer Training School) "you might begin to consider it now, for when we return. I believe you might make an excellent candidate."

Zo left with a good feeling.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.