The Spirit of Poland - Cover

The Spirit of Poland

Copyright© 2014 by Invid Fan

Chapter 19

Felek blinked, trying to get his bearings.

He was not in the tower.

Why he was not in the tower, or even what had happened there, was unclear. His head was a foggy mess. The brightness of the day was not helping. He brought his hand up, forefinger and thumb rubbing his eyes.

"Felek!"

Anelie's voice startled his eyes back open. She stood before him, shock on her face. For a brief moment, he thought she was going to hug him. Her bearing seemed to show she was considering it, but Felek fully realized he was in no shape to make judgments like that. He did find himself disappointed when she just grabbed both his shoulders.

"What the hell happened in there?" she asked. Damned if he knew. Before he could communicate that helpful information, her eyes shifted to his left. "Bogdi!"

She left him, going to her brother. His family looked like Felek felt, confused, uncertain. That was somewhat comforting.

"Felek!"

This time the owner of the voice did hug him, Ruta's slender form crushing his. He tried to free his arms, but she kept them pinned to his side. The mild pain did serve to wake him more. Shifting his body, as well as hers as she stuck to him like a leach, he glanced around the hilltop.

A familiar city lined the lake shore.

Felek's mind came fully awake. He peeled Ruta's arms from him, as gently as he could.

"Anelie!" She looked at him, one hand on little James' head. "What the hell happened out here? Are we home?"

"No idea!" She shook her head. "There was fog, a flash, then you guys just appeared!"

The sound of bells registered in his mind. He had heard them all this time, only now recognizing what they were. He stepped towards the lake.

"The capital is on alert! Soldiers will be coming!" He glanced down the hill. "And we have Elves with us." He shook his head. This wasn't how he wanted to come home, if home they in fact were. "Anelie, get the Royal Banner! Raise it on the shore down there!" He turned. The tower was still there. Part of him had not expected that. Moving to the wall, he placed his hand where the door had been.

It was solid stone.

"Bach! Kazik!" Anelie's voice rang out. "Get to the other side of the island. Meet anyone who lands there! Klocia, tell those blasted Elves to disarm completely! Armor, too! Get them away from the shore!"

Felek saw two patrol boats coming towards them, the oar-men on the long, low craft propelling them swiftly. He made his way down the hill, Lewy and Klocia already halfway down, the girl yelling out orders in Elvish. Lewy planted the flag at the base of the hill. Then, thinking better of it, Lewy raised the pike on which it flew upward, waving the banner back and forth.

"They're not yet in hailing distance," Issa said, joining Felek on the shore. "They're making good time, though."

"Must have been out training or something." Felek shook his head. "What the hell happened, Issa? Did we ... did she help the kids?"

"Don't know. We may not know until they don't get sick again."

"The King is going to love having to explain all this to the people."

Issa laughed.

"He has a good selection of people he can blame it on. I'll take some, if it will help. Everyone loves Chief Ajani, so if he forgives my 'crime' of bringing the island here the matter will be settled."

"Heh. I'll recommend it to His Grace." A soldier stood in one of the boats, his hail almost coherent. James readied himself. "OK, let's see if anyone buys our story."


Anelie was worried most about the horses.

They had been left on the island. With no dock, nor any way to get large vessels close enough to the shore to use a ramp, there had been no choice. Men of the local garrison had agreed to stay with them, see to their needs. Well, that, and keep curious locals from invading the place. She sighed. Her poor Toria, in the hands of strangers. It wasn't right.

A Kikker cargo ship which had been passing nearby had been commandeered for the short trip from the island to the dock. Issa apparently knew the captain, easing matters. All her men were aboard, as were the Elves. A dozen of His Grace's finest stood watch over them. Anelie thought the green creatures were having second and third thoughts about following the Poles to the island now. As well they should.

Soldiers lined the dock as they approached, keeping the crowds back. Glancing up, she saw archers on two rooftops. What they were expecting, she didn't know, but given that magic was obviously involved here, the idea that she and Felek were not who they appeared to be must have occurred to His Grace. They would, rightly, be treated with suspicion.

It was going to be a long day.

"We're going to keep the Elves down below," Felek said, coming up to stand beside her. "Bring them out at night. It may take that long to figure out a good place to put them."

She glanced up at the Royal Hill, flags flying above the Palace.

"You've managed to get some messages out already?"

"Nope. Didn't think to bring signal flags in the wagons. His Grace will know it's us when we land."

"I'm sure he likes surprises."

"Loves them." He paused. Anelie felt his hand take her shoulder. "This didn't turn out like we expected, did it?"

"Nope," she replied, laughing. "I don't even know what happened. You actually saw a God?"

"Well, something I can believe was one. It's not like I've seen many I could compare her to."

"Why couldn't I see her?" Some of her anger entered her voice. Felek's hand tightened on her shoulder.

"Ruta, Issa, Ofure and I were needed to heal the kids, apparently. One from each gender and race. You could have replaced Ruta, but given she had the vision..."

"Stupid logic."

"If you want to see her, maybe later..."

"Naw. I'm just being bitchy." The seamen called out, lines tossed to those on the dock. The ship rocked as it was brought to a stop. The gangplank was run out, a soldier running up before it could even be secured. Anelie straightened, Felek doing the same.

"Sargeant!" The man whirled at her call. A half dozen other soldiers were now coming onto the ship. Anelie saluted. "Anelie of the Black Hussars. This is Felek, brother to Her Grace." The soldier's expression was priceless. He came to instant attention.

"Sir!"

"Send a runner to the Palace," Felek ordered. He held out a rolled sheet of paper. "Deliver this to Chamberlain Ola, for King James' eyes only. We will then need an escort to the Palace."


The journey had not even taken a month, yet Felek felt he had been away for a year.

They marched down the wood paneled hall, travel stained clothing out of place among the relative finery of the Palace staff. Anelie's soldiers had been left behind, sent to some barracks or other. He hoped there would not be much of a problem regarding the four women. Yes, all here knew Shanna, but there was a reason all girls who volunteered were sent to her distant outpost. Many in Nowy Warsaw were still not that ... enlightened.

"Wow!" Zuza exclaimed, stopping beside a tapestry. "Who's that?"

"Something to look at later," her mother said, getting the girl moving again. Felek chuckled. He wasn't sure the kids had ever been to the Palace, let alone seen some of the more interesting art His Grace had commissioned. Lady Liberty had always fascinated him as well. In fact ... he glanced back. Remove the robe, and it could easily be the Goddess Zywie. More of her influence? Could be.

The doors to the King's office opened. His Grace stood as they entered, smiling.

"This is more than unexpected!" He came around the desk. Felek stopped where he was, bowing.

"Your Grace."

The others stopped and bowed or curtsied as well. Felek heard the doors close and latch behind them.

"Bogdi. Adanya." The King went to the two, eyes on their children. "Did it go well?"

"We ... do not know, Your Grace," Bogdi said, bowing again. "Something happened, but..."

"Only time will tell," Adanya said. "But, we thank you with all our heart." She bowed low. "We are forever in your debt."

"As we are to your Father. Friends help friends." His eyes looked at Ofure. The Kikker girl was looking around in awe. "And who is this?"

"Ofure, Your Grace," Ruta said, taking the girl's hand. "She had a vision like mine, joining us as we passed through her town. Zywie could not have helped us without her!"

King James gave the two a long look. With a sigh, he retreated to his desk, leaning back against it.

"OK. Tell me what the hell happened."


"Goddesses ... Elves ... magic roads and towers..."

Anelie could not help but smile at the King's comment. It sounded silly, when you told the tale. What made perfect sense in the moment became a child's tale when given serious thought. If any but Felek had been telling the story, she was not sure His Grace would have believed it.

"Zywie was pretty!" Zuza said, helpfully. "Huge! And nude!"

"So I understand," King James replied, amused. He looked beyond them. "Duda, please inform Her Grace that Lady Adanya and her family are here. The kids look like they could use some food, and playmates."

"Playmates?" Young James looked up, hopefully. The King smiled.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.