Lady in Red: Book 2 (The Rise of the Warrior)
Chapter 22

Copyright© 2014 by Harddaysknight

After the broadcast, Paula asked everyone to head to Marsh's for a celebration. "It's taken seven years for Steve to pop the question and we're going to make sure he knows how pleased we all are!"

Ted took the floor of the private room once family and friends were all gathered. "Steve asked me a few days back for permission to ask Gwen to marry him. I told him at the time that Paula and I couldn't be happier. I'm not fooling myself about who the head of this family is. I appreciate that you all defer to me as much as you do, but Steve and Gwen are the forces that hold us together and create so many opportunities for us all. As Jordan stated at the end of the show, Valhalla now has its king and queen, and the rest of us are fine with that.

"Gwen was the 'Lady in Red' that night she went on her first date with Steve. He was the one that requested that song. It began quite innocently, but look where it's taken all of us. Paula and I are very proud of our daughters, including Jordan, and the men they've selected. We've been blessed. We formally welcome Steve into our family, although he's been a part of us since that first dance, and we look forward to the wedding and more grandchildren. Congratulations to the loving couple!"

Everyone raised their drink in toast to the beaming Gwen and grinning Steve. Gwen spent the next ten minutes showing her ring to all of the other ladies. Steve shook hands and listened to the usual warnings about giving up the single life. He simply smiled a lot and kept his eyes on Gwen. He was pleased to hear her tell everyone how happy she was with her ring.

"Steve could have gotten me some huge diamond, but he didn't. He gave me something far more meaningful. His grandmother and his mother wore this ring. Can you imagine the significance it must have to him? He must really, really love me to trust me with something so dear to his heart. Someday our son will give it to the woman he loves. I get goose bumps just thinking about it!"

That night, Gwen was extremely passionate as she and Steve made love. "This is my first night sleeping with my fiancé and I want to make sure that you don't change your mind. I love you so much!"

The next day was Christmas and everyone gathered at Ted and Paula's for breakfast and the exchange of gifts. Ted and Paula beamed as they looked over their growing family. Jordan and Lisa had babies and Gwen was engaged to be married.

"So, Sis, did you get anything special for Christmas?" teased Kate as Gwen immediately held her hand up to show everyone her ring. "Remember the first Christmas Steve came to our house? He got all melancholy and left the room, and you had to go try to cheer him up? It seems like you did a pretty good job."

A short time later, Jordan and Charlie found an opportunity to speak to the happy couple. Jordan began, "The other day, when Steve asked Ted for permission to ask you to marry him, Kate wondered how super stars got married. Charlie and I have been talking it over and have an idea, but it'll need your cooperation and approval."

"This sounds interesting," smiled Gwen. "What did you two dream up?"

Jordan nodded to Charlie as he took over the conversation. "We think it would be fitting for two incredible talents to have a wedding so unique, that it could be both a movie and a stage show in the future. Jordan and I want to write and produce a musical. It would star you both and would be performed live as a prelude to the wedding ceremony."

"Are you serious?" asked a stunned Gwen. "You and Jordan would do all of that work for our wedding? I've never heard of a musical production as part of a wedding, but it sounds pretty exciting. What do you think, Steve?"

"Wow! I don't know what to say. The thought of something like that has never crossed my mind. How would it work and what would Gwen and I have to do?"asked Steve.

"You'd have to sing and dance and then march up and get married like normal couples do, except you'd have to sing a song at the ceremony," replied Jordan with excitement. "Charlie and I would write a special song for that, but the rest would be a musical recap of your courtship and lives over the almost eight years that you've known each other."

"Would that seem pretentious, or vain?" asked Gwen with some concern. "We don't want everyone to think we're bragging, or showing off."

The rest of the family had been silent as they listened to the conversation. Paula decided to voice her opinion.

"That sounds like an incredible idea! It wouldn't be pretentious for you two. Everyone knows how genuine and grounded you are. It would be a great treat for your guests and would be a wedding to remember. That's for sure."

"Mom's right," added Lisa. "You have the talent and the wherewithal to pull it off. How many guests will you invite?"

"I think we'll just place an announcement in the newspaper and on the web inviting anyone that wants to come. We have so many friends, fans, and business associates that I'd hate to slight anyone," worried Gwen.

"And that's one reason you guys are so loved," beamed Paula's mother. "What other famous couple invites the world to their wedding, and then supplies the entertainment themselves? Most of them sneak off to some exotic location and have guards keep people and photographers away. You're going to invite them!"

"This is going to be such a great wedding!" exclaimed Naomi. "With Jordan and Charlie putting it together and writing a new song, and you two performing, it'll be one for the ages."

"When will you be getting married?" asked Charlie. "I need to know how long I have to get this all planned and rehearsed.

"Steve and I were thinking about July 4th," answered Gwen with a smile. "That way Steve would be able to remember our anniversary. It's a Saturday this year. We'd get married here at the center and invite anyone that cared to come. We'd have dozens of vendors hired to keep the food and drink coming.

"Charlotte and I will be spending most of May and June on a hospital ship in the South Pacific and Indian Ocean, but we'll come home by July 1st, if not sooner. We graduate in early May and a week later, we set sail. It'll be part of our residency and a great experience."

"That would be perfect, as long as you can learn your songs and lines in a couple of days," responded Charlie. "I think you'll have a wedding like no other, and way better!"

Since it was the weekend of the premier of Gwen and Steve's latest movie, the Christmas celebration was over by noon. Everyone had to prepare for the belated premier at Lady in Red Center in Sparta. In an innovative move, Stephanie had suggested that rather than walk the red carpet, the actors would be at the entrance of the center and greet the movie goers as they made their way inside. It would take some time as most people would want to chat with the cast, or ask for autographs and pictures, so there would be a large buffet available for the movie goers as they waited for the lines to end and the center to fill up.

Diane was becoming very nervous as the premier got closer. "Don't worry about it," assured Will. "The movie opened last night all over the world and probably millions of people have seen these beauties by now. What's a few more?"

"These people are my friends and neighbors," explained Diane. "What if they think I'm an awful person for showing my breasts, especially at my age? I'm a wife and mother. That's the other thing. My daughter shows her breasts, too. What kind of family are we?"

"Sexy? Well-built? Adventurous? Is that a trick question?" asked Will with a big smile. "I know my friends will be jealous as hell that you're my wife and I get to sleep with you, so I'm good. If someone says that they don't like how beautiful and sexy you are in the movie, it'll just mean that they're jealous. You're a beautiful woman and I'm proud of you. Look how well Gwen, Jordan, and the other girls are doing and they've been topless several times in movies."

"Yes, but they aren't in their forties and mothers, well, except for Jordan and Lisa now being mothers," responded Diane. "You just stay very close to me and act very proud, okay? Your approval will help me a lot."

"You've got it!"promised Will.

Movie goers were delighted with the new concept where they actually walked in on a red carpet while the cast members greeted them and posed for pictures and signed playbills made especially for the occasion. The buffet was greatly enjoyed as fans waited patiently for the center to reach capacity. Even before the movie was shown, fans had a very favorable opinion of it.

Later, when the movie finished and the credits began rolling across the screen, the applause and cheers were long and loud. It was quite evident that the audience had enjoyed the movie tremendously. Once again the cast mingled with the movie-goers and this time they had praise heaped upon them.

Two of Will's golf buddies rushed up to Diane and Will with their wives in tow. It was obvious that they had enjoyed the movie.

"Diane! You were incredible! That love scene was one of the hottest I've ever seen," gushed one of the wives. "I never realized what a wonderful figure you have. Was Will okay with you spending time in the arms of Steve Hammer like that? I don't know if my husband could have handled it."

"Thank you," beamed Diane. "Will knows it was acting, although it sure didn't feel like work. Steve's incredible. He made me look better than I really am. He was really kind to an older woman."

"Are you kidding? He enjoyed every second of it!" insisted the second wife. "He'd have to be the best actor in the world if he didn't absolutely love that scene. Are his muscles and everything as impressive in real life as they look on the screen?"

"Exactly what do you mean by 'everything'?" laughed one of Will's golf buddies. "Look how everyone wants to talk to Will and Diane and we're holding them up. We'd better move on, but I'll repeat that we think that may well have been the best movie we've ever seen, and Diane was incredible in it."

Paula and Ted were greeting fans as well. Paula received more than a few compliments about her performance, but most of her friends and neighbors felt compelled to talk about just how beautiful and sexy Diane looked in the movie.

Lisa and Kate were standing a short distance away and noticed Paula's body language. Even as she smiled and agreed that her sister was beautiful and her daughter was incredible, she appeared to be struggling to maintain the smile.

"I think Mom's heard enough about how sexy and amazing Diane was," observed Kate. "I think she wishes that she had the nerve to do what Diane did. She's torn between being a proper mother and businesswoman and being more daring."

"It certainly hasn't hurt Gwen, Jordan, or the rest of us. Look how Diane is positively beaming. Uncle Will is the only person with a bigger smile. He's really proud of Aunt Diane and how great she looks. What would Dad do if Mom did that in a movie?" wondered Lisa. "She looks great, but just doesn't quite have the nerve to let it all hang out. Plus she's confused about her feelings for Steve. She believes a lady should behave a certain way with her daughter's fiancé, but would really like to get naked with the guy. He's the only one she'd ever do a love scene with, but her moral compass won't allow it. It isn't easy when you're so conflicted."

Meanwhile, Gwen and Steve were surrounded by enthusiastic fans of all ages. The couple smiled and constantly posed for pictures with everyone that asked.

"That was the best movie I've ever seen!" came a familiar voice behind Gwen. She turned to find Ms. Walker smiling like the cat that got the canary.

"Congratulations on your pending nuptials, as well as the performances you both had in the movie."

"Thanks so much, Ms. Walker!" replied Gwen as she gently hugged her old English teacher. "We worked really hard on the dance scenes. Steve is a natural, but I struggle to keep up with him."

"Ha!" laughed Steve. "We all saw the same movie. Gwen was amazing. I just tried to keep up. Why do you think the movie was titled 'Billie Jean'? Gwen was Billie Jean and she made the movie. It was pretty good though, wasn't it? It really makes us feel good when we do something that you're proud of, Ms. Walker. Your opinion means a lot to us. It did from the first day I met you and it always will."

"That's exactly why you two are so successful," responded a smiling Ms. Walker. "You work so hard to always give your best effort. You outdid yourselves with 'Billie Jean'. It'll win every award possible. I'm very proud of you both."

After Ms. Walker drifted away to speak to other cast members, Steve led Gwen over to Stephanie. She was holding on the arm of a tall, well dressed man. He turned as Steve and Gwen approached. Steve recognized him as James Hawthorne, the Englishman they had met the previous summer.

"Steph, is this guy bothering you?" joked Steve as he offered a smile and his hand to Hawthorne.

"He flew in from England today just to be my escort tonight," beamed Stephanie. "I was a little embarrassed when he saw our love scene, but James said he thought it was pretty hot. He thought you looked a little soft and pasty, but I carried the scene."

"I saw a couple of good reasons why he may have enjoyed that scene," deadpanned Steve just before Stephanie punched him in the chest.

"I think that the movie made me look better than I normally do because I sure looked pretty big on screen, didn't I? Of course Gwen and Mom were both amazing. James can't believe that Mom is my mother. He says we look more like sisters," added Stephanie.

"It's a pleasure to see you both again. May I also state that the WHO greatly appreciated your efforts at the concert last summer. It was a huge success and you were the reason why," stated Hawthorne sincerely.

"Mr. Hawthorne, did you fly all the way here from England on Christmas Day just to see my little cousin?" asked Gwen as she looked from Hawthorne to Stephanie. "Have I missed something?"

"I have no idea what you may have missed or not, but I most certainly flew here to see Stephanie, at her invitation. Did I make a mistake or something?" asked the Englishman with concern.

"Not at all," chuckled Steve before adding more. "That is unless you break her heart or harm her in some way. Stephanie is extremely important to us. I'll be quite upset if I ever found out that you didn't treat her properly."

"Steve! That's Uncle Will's job," cautioned Gwen as she took Stephanie's arm in hers. "Let's stroll over and talk to him right now."

Gwen practically dragged Stephanie over to where Will and Diane were speaking with Ted, Paula, Lisa, and Jason. "Uncle Will, this James Hawthorne fellow seems to be hanging around Stephanie quite closely. Is there anything you want to say to him?"

Ted and Paula immediately broke into big smiles while Will simply looked confused. Ted moved closer to Will and spoke quietly into his ear and then stepped back.

"Yes, there is something I want to tell you, Young Man," began Will. "You will treat my daughter with respect at all times. You will not use tobacco in any form, and only use alcohol in moderation, if at all. You will protect her with your life, if need be. You will drive carefully and never do anything to harm her reputation or self-respect. If this is asking too much, then I suggest you bid her farewell right now."

Hawthorne noticed that everyone within hearing had gone silent and Stephanie's cousins had begun to move closer as Will spoke. It appeared to be an important moment from the way everyone waited for his response.

"Sir, I would have it no other way," assured Hawthorne as he extended his hand to Will. "You daughter is a lady. I will always treat her as such and her safety and well-being will always be my first concern when I am with her."

"Great answer!" blurted Stephanie as she threw her arms around the surprised man and kissed him soundly on the lips.

Once Stephanie moved back a little Hawthorne saw the smiles of approval on the faces of her family members. "We have a bit of a tradition in the family that gentleman callers are informed by the father, or father figure, on how he is expected to conduct himself," explained Paula. "Ted started it with Steve years ago and has given 'the talk' to all of the girls' suitors since then. I believe that was Will's first talk, wasn't it?"

"Yes. I almost missed the hints that Gwen hit me over the head with. I was just beginning to figure it out when Ted reminded me," admitted Will. "His daughters have all found very dependable, honorable men and I would hope that you, Mr. Hawthorne are cast from the same mold."

"Stephanie, you need to tell us how long you and James have been an item," insisted Jordan. "I knew you got along great with him in England, but I had no idea you two were dating."

"We're not really dating. Well, maybe we are, if emails, texting, and phone calls count. We just hit it off when we were in England. I've seen him once since, and that was when we were in Moscow. I asked if he'd like to visit over the Christmas holidays and here he is!"

"Welcome to America!" greeted Gwen as she hugged Hawthorne. "I trust that Stephanie has invited you to spend New Year's with us in Maui. We're doing a TV show from the beach to welcome in the New Year. It's a lot of fun and we get to spend a lot of time in the sun and surf."

"I did invite him already," admitted Stephanie. "I didn't think anyone would object. I hate being the odd-man-out all of the time. I'm not saying James is my boyfriend or anything, but he'll be with me and I won't be all lonely, and envious of my cousins and friends."

"I think you had a great idea with this premiere party," stated Jordan. "Everyone loved the movie and the food and drinks seem to be going over very well. 'Singlehandedly' did real well, 'Jurisprudence' has been successful beyond my dreams, but 'Billie Jean' is going to be a real blockbuster. The reviewers are all raving about how good it is and what great dancers Gwen and Steve are."

"Which reminds me; tomorrow morning we're having a working brunch at Billy's restaurant at eleven," announced Stephanie. "There are a few things we need to go over as a group. It's still the holiday season, so we'll get it over with quickly and just enjoy the company when it's finished."

The next morning, the reserved room at Marsh's had a long table filled with all sorts of delicious foods when Steve and Gwen arrived. As usual, they had been greeted by many friends and neighbors as they walked through the main dining room. As was their custom, the famous couple spent time at each table, chatting casually with the delighted diners.

Steve noticed that Janice and Sybil had just sat down at a table in the main room. "What are you two doing? We're not going to leave you out of our little meeting and brunch party. Come on with Gwen and me."

"I thought the brunch was for friends and relatives," replied a surprised Sybil. "We'll be right here if you need us."

Steve took Sybil's hand and gently pulled her to her feet and then he pulled her into warm embrace as he spoke gently. "Are you saying that you two are not our friends? That we shouldn't trust you? Don't you like us at least a little?"

Sybil glanced at Gwen and saw her big smile before she returned her attention to Steve. "I think I like you too much already. Of course you can trust us and I hope that we're friends. It would be an honor to join you and Gwen this morning."

Steve smiled and released Sybil so he could take Janice's hand and pull her to him for a hug as she admitted, "I'll go anywhere you want, anytime you want. I've never enjoyed a job more, nor met nicer people in my life."

Steve entered the private room with his arms around the two security women and a smiling Gwen on the other side of Sybil. Everyone smiled and greeted the two women. Steve saw Paula's eyebrows arch in a silent question.

"These two ladies have become more than employees as far as I'm concerned," stated Steve flatly as he looked directly at Paula. "They came through for me when I needed it. Does anyone object to them attending this meeting and any future ones?"

Everyone was quick to assure Steve that the Sybil and Janice were always welcome, but Steve remained still with his arms around the two women as he looked directly at Paula.

"Whatever you want, Steve. You know that no one will go against you," replied Paula as Gwen and Lisa exchanged glances at Paula's less than warm welcome.

Steve removed his arms from the two women and walked over to where Ted and Paula were standing. "Ted, would you mind if I had a few words in private with Paula? It'll only be a minute or so."

Ted could easily see that Paula was agitated. She had been out of sorts and cranky all morning and he had no clue why. When he asked her about it, she insisted that everything was fine. Slowly it dawned on Ted that the problem may involve Steve. With more than a little relief, Ted nodded his acceptance of Steve's request. If anyone could get Paula out of her funk, it would be him.

Steve took Paula's hand and tugged it gently. "Paula, come walk with me for a while. I'd like to talk to you about a few things."

Paula looked around and noticed that all three of her daughters were watching her closely. Reluctantly, she allowed Steve to lead her out of the room.

"What's with Mom?" wondered Kate. "She seemed pretty cold to Steve, Janice, and Sybil. "It's not like her, especially to Steve."

"She seemed kind of grouchy this morning when we picked her and Dad up to ride over with us," allowed Lisa. "I wonder if it bothers her that Diane did so well and looked so hot in the movie last night. Could she be jealous? Look at how happy Diane and Will are. They haven't stopped smiling since last night."

"Mom did really well in her part in the movie," pointed out Gwen. "Why would she be jealous of Diane?"

"Why?" repeated Kate. "Maybe because Diane took a chance and also took her top off and had an amazing love scene with Steve. Everyone was blown away by how good she looked. She really did look great topless, didn't she? So where does that leave Mom? Suddenly, she's the other sister while Diane is the hot babe that made love to Steve in the movie."

"Could that really be it?" asked a surprised Gwen. "Mom has been offered some juicier roles and refused them. It was her decision."

"But she had no idea how well Diane's part would be received. Even the critics think Diane was amazing. It's all over the web," offered Lisa. "I don't think she's envious of Diane. She's more upset with herself and how things seem to have passed her by because she's so conservative most of the time. Diane was the 'wild child' of the two."

"I've been working on a script that's kind of like 'The Graduate'. I think I'll go mention it to Dad and see if he'd be cool with Mom as the 'Mrs. Robinson' of the movie," stated Kate.

"I don't think I'll have the time for a movie next summer," worried Gwen. "I have that two month stint on the hospital ship and then the wedding and hopefully a honeymoon."

"That's okay because I was thinking that I could play the daughter," replied Kate immediately. "I've talked to Chip about it. He doesn't feel comfortable in front of the camera like Steve does. He'd be willing to have a smaller, less demanding role. He's also fine with me doing a love scene or two with Steve. I guess I need to ask you if you'd be okay with that."

"You and Steve? Does that mean that Mom would be doing the dirty with Steve, too?" asked Gwen.

"It sure does, if she'll agree to it. She showed that she can act in 'Billie Jean'. Now we need to convince her to go for that brass ring and let her hair down, along with her clothes," answered Kate.

"That could be my wedding gift to Steve!" laughed Gwen. "He'll be all over me every time he thinks about doing love scenes with you and Mom. We'd be playing into his fantasies. I hope Mom agrees to do it."

At that moment, Steve led Paula into Billy's office and closed the door before turning back to face Paula. "What's wrong, Paula? Have I done something to upset you?"

"It's just that you and Gwen are going to be married soon. You really don't need to introduce more beautiful women into our group, do you? Are you trying for a harem? How do you think Gwen feels about this? Think about her feelings for a change."

"Excuse me? Did you just suggest that I don't consider Gwen's feelings?" demanded Steve. "That surprises me. I honestly thought that you, of all of our friends and relatives, understood how deeply I love Gwen and how her safety and happiness are the most important things in the world to me. Now I see that I misjudged you."

"No! I didn't really mean that, Steve! I do know how much you love Gwen. It fills my heart with happiness that you two have such depth of emotion for each other. I'm sorry I made that foolish statement. I certainly don't believe it.

"You're an extremely wealthy, handsome, famous, successful, charming man. Women are drawn to you. I can vouch for that! But you're already surrounded by so many beautiful women. Is it wise to bring more into our group? Doesn't it increase the opportunity for jealousy and discontent?"

"I'm not bringing them into our group. They pretty much accomplished that when they saved you, Theresa, little Billy, and Diane from those gunmen. Then they saved my life on that road in Pennsylvania. Am I wrong to have special feelings for them? Do you have any idea how badly I'd feel if something had happened to any of you?"

"Especially Diane," mumbled Paula as tears rolled down her cheeks.

"Especially Diane?" repeated a very surprised Steve. "What is that supposed to mean? Are you suggesting that I'd miss Diane more than I'd miss you? Is that what you're saying?"

"I saw you two when you filmed that movie and again last night on screen. You love her. I can tell. That love scene was not acting! Don't treat me like I'm stupid," sobbed Paula.

Steve was flabbergasted by Paula's pronouncement. He studied Paula's face as he considered her words. He realized that Paula was unusually emotional and wasn't quite certain why.

"Paula, you're right. I do love Diane. I've never denied it. She's beautiful, smart, generous, athletic, and devoted to her family. You're also right that I wasn't acting in that movie. I suspect that I'm not really a very good actor. I have loved every woman I've had those scenes with. Jordan, Naomi, Stephanie ... all of them, including Diane.

"I always thought that you knew that. I thought everyone knew it. Why does my scene with Diane upset you so much? What did I do wrong or differently with her? Help me understand so I can make it right. I never want you to be upset or unhappy with me."

"I don't even know why it upsets me so much," responded Paula. "I love her. She's my sister. But last night everyone was saying how sexy and beautiful she was in the movie. Then there was the way you made love to her. I could barely breathe when you held her breasts and kissed them. She's only a couple years younger than me, but she was unbelievably sexy. I guess it drove home how old I've gotten. I'm a grandmother! I love my kids, and Theresa is absolutely precious, but I feel like I've lost my identity while Diane has found hers.

"She's the sexy dance instructor with the gravity defying breasts, and I'm the grandmother. If Diane has a dozen grandkids, she'll always have that moment as the sexy woman that seduced Steve Hammer in one of the best movies ever made. I'll just be a mother and grandmother. You asked me, and I'm telling you that it bothers me. I feel old, unwanted, unappreciated, and left behind," admitted Paula as she began crying harder.

Steve was at a total loss. He had no idea that Paula was having esteem issues. In fact, he was stunned to hear it. He always thought of her as the perfect woman. She was a great mother, a devoted wife, a sexy, beautiful woman, and a wonderful person. How could any woman with all of that going for her feel so badly about herself?

Steve pulled Paula into his arms as he spoke. "I just realized that I owe you an apology. I have not been telling you the truth. Now I think it may have been a mistake to keep things from you."

"What do you mean? What have you been keeping from me? How old and wrinkled I am?" asked Paula as she continued to sob.

"The truth is that I have never met a more beautiful woman than you. I've never loved a woman like I do you. I've never felt about a woman the way I feel about you." whispered Steve.

"What are you saying? I know you love Gwen more than me. Everyone can tell that. Besides, I'm not trying to steal my daughter's future husband. I don't really know what I want," cried Paula into Steve's chest.

"Paula, I am not trying to tell you that I don't love Gwen more than I ever thought possible. She completes me. She's my life. I am telling you that you are so incredibly beautiful, so smart, so strong, so admired that I love you like no other woman I've ever met. I don't tell you often enough. I don't show you enough. Everyone always teases and makes a big deal about how I feel about you, so I tend to down play it. I'm not going to do that anymore. I love you very much and I want everyone to know it.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.