Lady in Red: Book 2 (The Rise of the Warrior)
Chapter 20

Copyright© 2014 by Harddaysknight

The Lady in Red group was approaching Blakely early the following afternoon when Gwen tapped Steve on the shoulder and indicated that she wanted him to pull over. She was addressing her friends as soon as they turned their bikes off.

"This may be a little tense up ahead, so we need to be cautious," stated Gwen. "I don't have to tell any on you that our men are capable of handling almost anything if we stay out of their way. However, we need to be smart, not tough, when possible. We have to find the reasonable people in the town and work on them.

"I want to change places with Naomi and sit behind Jared. We're dealing with racial issues here and I think we need to show everyone that we don't subscribe to that type of stupidity. I'm as white as they come and Jared is pretty dark. Naomi is somewhere in between, but it'll be obvious to everyone that Jared and I are friends, as are Steve and Naomi. I hope that our friendship will help convince people to listen to us. Any ideas or suggestions?"

"How about I climb on back of Billy's bike and Charlotte rides with Jeff?" proposed Julie Wilson. "Jeff is dark and Charlotte is fair skinned. Billy will have to live with my chest pushed against his back the rest of the way. If he can deal with that, we should get going."

"The only thing better would be if you drove and I rode behind you," grinned Billy. "We'd both have our hands full."

"Dad! These awful men lust after your wife. You must feel terrible," pouted Naomi as she concealed her grin.

"Don't worry about me," deadpanned Jeff. "Charlotte, that's not the handlebar you're gripping so tight!"

"Sorry, Mr. Wilson!" laughed Charlotte as she went along with his joke. "I bet I can steer with it though. It feels like a big joystick!"

National Guard troops were in Blakely when Steve and Naomi led the group into town. Pedestrians recognized them within seconds. Steve rode toward the downtown area not far from where the property they intended to buy was located. As they approached, it became readily apparent that there were some angry people on the streets.

As planned, the group stopped at various points along the main street. People were gathered in groups and the tension was tangible. Guard troops patrolled the sidewalks. Many of the businesses had plywood over the windows, although the doors were still open for business. It would only take the owners a matter of minutes to seal off their business if need be.

Steve took Naomi's hand and walked into a small diner near where he had parked his bike. He saw that his friends were going into various businesses up and down the street as locals pointed at them and spoke excitedly to each other.

Steve led Naomi up to the counter and offered her a seat before taking one himself. At older black man watched him from behind the counter and nodded when Steve took his seat.

"We'd like to get something to eat," stated Steve calmly. "I understand there are some problems here. Do you have any trouble serving lunch to Naomi and me, Sir?"

"Are you kidding? I'd be proud as hell to serve you both. I was in the Navy in Vietnam and I appreciate what you folks are doing for veterans. What would you like?"

Steve and Naomi ordered, and as they waited for their lunch, they questioned the old man about the situation in the area. He was a fountain of information and wasn't shy about expressing his opinions.

"The real problem, as I see it, is no jobs and no real education for most of these young people. The Madison Plant shut down last year and things have been sliding downhill ever since. Now we have outsiders, white and black, coming to town to try to keep things stirred up so they can be on TV and write books about their experiences. They don't care about this town or its residents," insisted the old man.

"Our company is interested in buying that plant to make action figures. That shouldn't be too much different than the dolls and plastic figures Madison made. How would that be accepted here?" asked Steve. "We have no interest in pouring money down a rat hole. We need employees that show up every day and aren't risking their lives to do so. What are the chances we could be successful here?"

"I'd say they were good if you pay a decent wage and make it clear what you expect. If these folks had some money, they'd be a hell of a lot happier and much better citizens. That's assuming you'd hire locals and not have outsiders taking all of the jobs," replied the old man thoughtfully.

"We want to discuss this with people that are regarded as leaders of the community, from all backgrounds. We'll pay well over minimum wage. We'd donate to the local schools and a few other civic organizations, but we need to feel comfortable that it would be appreciated and we'd be welcome in this community," reasoned Naomi. "My father is retired Navy and he, along with my mother, are going to be in charge of production here, if my friends are convinced that it'll work."

"Your parents are black, right?" asked the old man before he smiled when Naomi grinned and nodded. "There may be a few skinheads that won't work for a black boss, but most of these people really don't care as long as they can feed their families. We don't have a race problem, although you wouldn't know it from the media coverage. We have a survival problem. We need to be able to pay our bills and support our families. If the folks around here can do that, there won't be any race issues. I'm pretty sure of that!"

An hour later the group gathered near Charlie's bike as agreed upon earlier. They quickly discussed what they had learned.

"It seems to be the opinion of most of the business people that the real issue here is poverty and crime," summed up Jeff Wilson. "The race thing is a result of too many dogs fighting over the few scraps left in this town. They're desperate people and they're doing desperate things."

"The teenage boys kept asking about Steve and Jared," revealed Charlotte. "They wanted to know if you guys would talk football with them. For some reason, Billy's exploits at state went unmentioned by these uninformed fans."

"All I heard about was how beautiful Gwen, Jordan, Naomi, and the rest of the women are," responded Julia Wilson. "A few even mentioned they thought I looked pretty hot. I think you ladies could give these local girls some fashion tips and somehow bring in how important education is to them."

"You know what? Julia hit the nail on the head!" exclaimed Lisa. "We can't make people like or respect each other by telling them to do so. We need to change the atmosphere here. We should stay a few days and have the guys do some sports stuff while impressing upon the young men how important education, discipline, honor, and pride are. We ladies, especially the more famous ones, need to do the same about clothes, music, movies and fashion with the young women while explaining how education, self esteem, discipline, and honor are important in their lives."

"Let's turn this into a holiday sort of thing rather than some sort of riot," suggested Charlie. "Let's offer to pay the businesses to provide services for the locals. Let's make it a big block party with lots of food and non-alcoholic drinks."

"We need to get things rolling then. The cable news networks are all over the place, just waiting for some violence to breakout," observed Gwen. "Let's start doing some interviews. We'll tell them we want to meet with local leaders about possibly opening the factory, helping the school district, and the police department. We want to create good jobs, improve education, and lower crime. Sounds like a political speech, doesn't it?"

"It does, except we intend to carry through and make it work," insisted Jordan. "Let's find some of those news people and get the word out."

Two hours later, Steve and Gwen and their entourage were seated at the front of the meeting room at city hall. The place was packed to overflowing once the interviews had been broadcast. News crews and cameramen lined the walls.

The mayor, a distinguished looking older man asked for quiet and then stated the purpose of the gathering. "We have the owners of a large company with us here today. They want to talk to us about the possibility of opening the Madison Plant again. They can tell us a little about their plans and then we'll be able to ask questions. I'll turn the floor over to them."

Lisa had been designated as the point person for the group. She stepped up to the podium and gave a brief introduction. "Lady in Red Productions has an option to purchase the Madison Plant. We'd like to retool it and get it in production as soon as possible. We plan to make action figures, mostly of Jordan, Charlie, Steve, and my sister Gwen. We also expect a big demand for Naomi's figure."

Lisa stopped speaking. She laughed as many members in the audience, including her husband and his friends, all began agreeing quite vocally with her last sentence.

"Okay, maybe that was a poor choice of words, but it appears they were pretty accurate," continued Lisa as she selected her words more carefully. "We'll have little plastic objects that resemble many of the rest of us, too.

"The only thing holding us back is the civil unrest here in Blakely. We're willing to invest substantial sums if we feel comfortable with the workforce, the work environment, and the safety of our people. We need your local civic leaders to convince us that we're wanted here. We need to know there won't be riots, arsons, murders, and general mayhem when we take over the plant. Does anyone care to comment?"

"These people need guarantees that they'll be treated fairly and not..."

"Please identify yourself, Sir," interrupted Lisa. "Who are you and where do you live?"

"I'm Reverend Big Bill Bendix! You must have seen me on TV. I have my own cable news show," blustered the large man as he glared at Lisa.

"Sir, we have no interest in what you have to say. We're asking for input from local leaders, not TV personalities looking for ratings," stated Lisa firmly. "Are there any local leaders that would like to comment?"

"You can't do that!" complained Big Bill. "I have a lot of viewers and..."

By the time he managed to say that much, Jared and Chip moved in front of him. Jared spoke softly, but his voice carried across the room.

"Your choices are to either remain quiet, or leave the room. It's that simple."

Big Bill quickly sat back down, but his anger was evident. Another man stood and spoke to Lisa.

"I'm Harvey Wingate. I own the gas station on the corner of Main and 2nd Street. This area needs jobs bad. The unrest we've been going through is mostly about despair and lost hope. We need you to open that plant, especially if you'll pay a decent wage. Most of the people that live in the area are honest, hard working folks, if they just get the chance."

"How many black employees will you have?" asked a tall black man in the first row. "I'm James Hardy and I'm on the school board at Central High.

"Good question," responded Lisa. "We won't have black employees."

Lisa's statement set off a loud round of indignant reactions from the blacks in attendance and many of the whites. Lisa let the complaining continue for a short while before getting the crowd to quiet down.

"We won't have white employees, either. We won't have gay employees. We won't even have male or female employees," added Lisa. "We want dependable, honest, capable employees. When we hire people, we will not designate race, religion, gender, ethnicity, or sexual preferences in our files. If the Feds decide that they need the information for their records, they can gather it themselves.

"I'd like to introduce the team that will manage this plant, if we decide to proceed with the purchase. They'll give you an idea of what we're expecting to accomplish. Will Jeff and Julie Wilson please come up?" requested Lisa.

As the couple made their way to stand next to Lisa, she began the introductions. "Jeff spent 30 years in the Navy. He retired as master chief petty officer, which he tells us means simply that he worked for a living. Julie Wilson has an extensive background in education and her most recent position was principal of Sherman Central High School.

"This couple has agreed, after numerous pleadings from Lady in Red Productions, to manage the plant, if we go through with the purchase. Make no mistake about this. We have complete and total confidence in these two. Their decisions will be supported without question by the owners. They will be in complete control of this plant."

It did not go unnoticed that Lady in Red Productions was placing a black couple to head up the new project. Even more impressive to those in attendance was the unequivocal support they received from the owners.

More citizens joined in the discussion. Lisa asked Jeff and Julie to respond to most of the questions regarding the plant, production, the workforce, pay and benefits. When Jeff stated the starting wage, everyone sat up straighter and paid closer attention. When he added the benefit package, even bigger smiles broke out all over the room.

"There are a few more things we want you to consider," summarized Lisa once it appeared that Jeff and Julie had answered most of the questions about the plant. "Our company will offer a grant to the local police department. We will guarantee two million dollars a year for at least ten years if certain reasonable conditions are met. Half the monies each year will be spent on training and equipment, like vests and body cameras for local law enforcement. The other half will be used to hire new officers each year. These new hires will be military veterans, when possible. They will also be local. They will be hired based on qualifications, but we expect these new recruits to be a rather diverse group, if you understand what I'm saying. We've spoken to the police chief and mayor and they're onboard with this.

"We'll donate new computers, teaching aides, and other equipment to both of the local high schools. We'll set up scholarships for those that are accepted to college and can't afford to go. We'll also help those students that feel a trade school would suit their talents and skills more closely. We'll support and encourage the study of music and the other arts at these schools.

"In short, we want this community to thrive and to carry our production facility along with it. We feel it's a win/win situation, if this community can overcome whatever distrust, fear, ignorance, and hatred its citizens may harbor," finished Lisa.

"There are a few more items we'd like to share," stated Stephanie as she finished conferring with Steve, Gwen, Jordan, and Charlie. "Jordan, Gwen, Naomi, and some of the rest of us women will be available to discuss all sorts of things that might interest teenage girls and young women. We'll be meandering down Main Street this evening and tomorrow. People, especially young women, are encouraged to ask us about making movies, music, fashion, and educational opportunities.

"At the same time, and again on Main Street, Jared, Steve and their buddies will be available to discuss sports, especially playing football, as well as various career choices and educational opportunities both in and out of the military. They'll even talk about making music and movies if there's any interest.

"We've contracted with all of the restaurants and eateries in the area to provide food and non alcoholic drink to folks tonight, free of charge! We're also offering incentives to clothing stores to offer huge discounts on their inventories. The National Guard has already planned to close Main Street to vehicular traffic after dusk, so we're going to make it a big block party. We've decided that if we find the local citizens willing, and hopefully, eager to join our company workforce, we'll be buying the plant and begin production as fast as possible. It's now up to the good people of Blakely to determine their destiny."

When Stephanie finished speaking, those in attendance began clapping and cheering as they stood and prepared to leave the crowded meeting room. Smiles were seen on most of the faces as everyone discussed the events of the day and how it would benefit their town.

News stations had covered the meeting and reporters rushed to positions where they could broadcast back to their stations. All of the Lady in Red owners, along with Julie, Naomi, and Jeff Wilson were interviewed by various stations. Business owners and school students were asked for their opinions. It was soon obvious to the viewers across the nation that the anger, despair, and violence of the previous few days was rapidly giving way to hope and optimism.

That evening, cable news stations broadcast from Blakely, much like they had the previous three nights, but with one huge difference. While downtown was very crowded, there was very little animosity and only minor disputes. The people from Lady in Red Productions were shown interacting with the locals. Steve and Jared could be seen showing some older teens various football techniques and training methods. Steve entertained the crowd by throwing long passes to six different young men that played on the two local school teams. Jared spent time demonstrating different types of pass rushes and the basics of tackling.

Jason, Chip, Jeff, and Pete, spent a lot of time explaining what would be expected of military recruits and what the military offered that would benefit those recruits. Charlie worked mostly with kids interested in music, from playing instruments to composing. All of the men stressed how important degrees were, no matter what career the young people chose.

The women were besieged by girls wanting to know everything about careers in movies, modeling, and music. They devoted a great deal of time extolling the virtues of sound educations for the young women, regardless of what career track they pursued and how successful they were.

Gwen, Jordan, or some of the others were often seen taking a girl by the hand and heading into a boutique or clothing store to put together an outfit for them. No bill was ever presented to any of the young women being outfitted.

Just before eleven PM, Governor Fisher of Illinois arrived on Main Street. He made a point of thanking Steve, Gwen, Jordan, Charlie, the Wilsons and all of the others for the incredible turnaround in Blakely. He commented on how much the National Guard was now enjoying its assignment, and how they'd better enjoy it since it appeared that they would be going back home very soon.

Back in Washington, Vince and Cindy Rosen sat in their home watching the coverage with Senators Chatham and Mason. "Last night we saw cars overturned and burned on the streets of Blakely. Tonight, it's a block party!" observed an amazed Cindy Rosen.

"It's a remarkable turnaround," agreed Senator Chatham. "That group, especially Gwen and Steve, seems to have no limit. They transformed a highly volatile situation into a cause to celebrate. They'll keep their word about jobs and what they'll pay. I've never met more honest, sincere people in my life."

"This has never happened before that I know of," began Senator Mason, "And that has become a comment frequently used when speaking about those two. When I think about it, I've never seen a Navy Lieutenant and freshman congresswoman propel a candidate to win his party's nomination for the presidency of the United States before."

"They've made a huge difference," agreed Vince Rosen. "Cindy and I have discussed it until we're blue in the face. Will they call in their markers at some point? They've never hinted that they expect anything from me in return for their support. That's another thing that never happens in Washington."

"I've been wondering about that, too," stated Chatham. "What will they expect from you if they manage to help you get elected? My gut feeling is that they'll expect to have the chance to offer opinions on certain issues and perhaps ask you to exert some influence behind the scenes. They'll never ask you to betray your oath of office, or give them an unfair advantage. I'm sure of that."

"Look at how the kids are flocking around them, hanging on every word they say," pointed out Cindy Rosen. "They're treating all the people very well, regardless of race, gender, or how they're dressed. What an example they're setting for the rest of the country. That's the strength of that group. They make us proud to be Americans, and that hasn't been happening a lot lately. We're watching history being made. Everything they do is bigger than life."

Steve had been tossing passes to some of the kids that played on the local school teams. One tall black kid caught his attention. He appeared to be extremely fast and quite talented. Steve held the ball as he gave the kid instructions.

"I want you to run straight down the street to that second light pole. Then cut left toward the barber shop door. I want you to look for the ball after you make the turn and expect it in your chest as soon as you turn to look. Now, let's clear the street down there and see what you can do."

"I'll catch it, if you can throw it that far," guaranteed the tall teen. "That's gotta be forty yards, at least.

"The ball will be there. Let's see what kind of speed you have, and if your hands are like a couple of bricks," responded Steve with a grin.

Billy and Jared quickly got people to clear the street so Steve could throw the pass to the kid. People stopped what they were doing to watch. It became rather quiet as Billy stepped over the ball to snap it to Steve. The kid lined up on the right side and waited for Billy to hike the ball.

Billy sent the ball backward to Steve as he stood in the shotgun position. Steve watched the kid fly down the street. Just before he made his turn by the light pole, Steve wired the ball. The kid made his cut and the ball hit him in the chest within two strides. Spectators were amazed at the velocity of Steve's pass, but even more stunned when the kid grabbed the ball as it hit his chest, seemingly with no effort.

"What kind of marks do you get in school?" asked Steve as the teen trotted back with the football. "What's your name? I think we need to introduce you to some college recruiters."

"My name's Rick Charles. I'm the guy with two first names," joked the talented teen. "I get mostly B's and some C's in school. I don't know if I'm smart enough to go to college. No one in my family ever has."

"That attitude is the first thing we have to change, Kid," declared Billy. "I only played division three football, but we never had a kid that could've made the catch you just made. You're obviously a smart kid. With some work on both your grades and your game, you could get a scholarship to a lot of different schools."

"Would you be interested in the Naval Academy?" questioned Steve. "The requirements are pretty strict, but they sure need a receiver with your speed and hands. If you tell me that you're willing to work your ass off, I'll promise to do my best to get you into Annapolis. If that doesn't work, we'll get you a scholarship to some lesser school, like Penn State."

"Hey! I heard that!" boomed Jared. "Penn State needs skilled players, so maybe he should forget about being a sissy Navy boy and shoot for the stars. He could go to Penn State and take ROTC and become an officer in the Army."

"You really think I could play for a major school?" asked the kid in amazement.

"I'm formulating a plan even as we speak," replied Steve. "Our company will get a few tutors lined up for the kids in your school that want to go to college and need to improve their grades. We'll hire a trainer to work with any guys that truly want to improve their mechanics, strength, and conditioning for football, or for any reason. What I'll need from you and a few others is your word that you'll do the absolute best you can in everything you try."

"I heard that idea! Let's include any girls that want to improve," insisted Jordan as she walked up to where Steve and the guys were talking. "There are more than a few girls here that want to further their education and need to bring their grades up. I'm sure there are some that could get athletic scholarships as well, if they really work at it. Let's set something up!"

The friends stayed out well past midnight, speaking to people individually and in groups. They answered questions about the opening of the plant, how they'd help the schools, and work with the high school kids to gain entrance into institutions of higher education.

Steve couldn't help but notice the negative attitudes and remarks of more than a few locals, especially young men about his age. He also noticed that race didn't seem to know any boundaries when it came to young men that had lost hope and direction. He knew changing the outlook and attitudes of these characters would be a very difficult task. The school age kids and those just out of school appeared much more interested in the possibility of college and good jobs. Steve feared that the twenty-something group would fall through the cracks. He wondered if there was a way to reach them to any measurable degree.

After the first peaceful night Blakely had experienced that week, Steve, Gwen and friends were up early. They enjoyed breakfast in the restaurant Steve and Naomi had first visited. By the time they had finished eating, they were surrounded by youth of various ages, races, and both genders.

Gwen and Naomi listened intently when a black teenage girl spoke quietly to Steve. "Do you think Naomi is as pretty as the white girls in your group, or do you think white girls are prettier?"

Steve looked at the girl as he formulated his response. "I honestly think that Naomi is beautiful. I've never seen a more beautiful woman. I've told her that quite a few times. You can ask her if you don't believe me. All of these women are beautiful, but none more so than Naomi. Look at her mother, sitting across the table from us. She's gorgeous, too.

"Are you really trying to ask me if black girls are as pretty as white girls? If so, let me say this. Skin color has no bearing on beauty. I've seen what appeared to be an attractive woman look really bad simply because of her attitude. If a woman is smart, active, capable, and sensitive to her friends and family's needs, men will find her attractive, regardless of the color of her skin.

"Beauty is also quite subjective. Some men prefer tall girls and some like shorter girls. Some like thin girls and some like more voluptuous types. But all men are attracted to women that are intelligent, honest, happy, and confident. You're a lovely young woman, but that isn't enough. You need to learn, to grow, to always be responsible for your actions, and to make good decisions. Naomi has done all of those things, and a great deal more. Her loyalty, discipline, and intelligence all make her beauty even more impressive. She's been blessed with a fantastic body and great looks, but she's worked hard to be way more than just a beautiful woman. She's a great person."

All of a sudden Naomi surprised Steve by dropping into his lap and planting a big kiss on his lips. "You say the nicest things! I have no idea what I did to get such wonderful friends, but I'm so happy that I have all of you. I heard what you told this young woman. You sure have a silver tongue."

As she finished speaking, Naomi noticed the girl was looking in shock at Naomi sitting on Steve's lap. Then she'd look at Gwen and Jared to see their reactions and then back at Naomi.

"Don't worry about Gwen and Jared being upset. They know I love this guy, but it's as very good friends and not as lovers. As Steve just told you, we value loyalty and honesty. Gwen loves Jared and I'm cool with it. You can see why we ladies would fall for these handsome guys, but you know what? These guys will only be with their own lady and never with anyone else, if you know what I mean. All of us women feel safe and loved when we're with them. They're like brothers to us, except I probably wouldn't be sitting on my brother's lap and kissing him. Do you understand what I'm telling you?"

"I think so. You and Steve like each other a lot, but you don't have sex with him, right?" asked the girl.

"That's the very short version. My friends and I respect each other far too much to ever betray that friendship," responded Naomi. "A true friend will never do something to hurt you and will do almost anything to help you."

"Were you a good friend to Steve and Gwen ever since you met them?" questioned the girl.

"I'm not very proud to admit that I wasn't," recalled Naomi. "I was a combination of an elitist, a racist, and a regular jerk. Gwen, Jordan, and Ashley pretty much set me straight, along with my parents. I couldn't wrap my head around Steve finding a black woman attractive and how well his friends, and not just his girlfriend, stuck up for him. I realized I was mostly insecure and jealous, which are not good traits in a friend. I came to realize that if I trusted them as friends, they would treat me the same way. I had to learn to have faith in people, and that race had nothing to do with character, respect, discipline, and friendship."

"That's right," agreed Gwen as she came over to join the conversation. "You have to become a friend before you can have a friend. Good friends are great to have. Jared saved my life by taking two bullets intended for me. Billy did the same for Charlotte. Pete was almost shot saving Becky and Ashley. Billy, Jason, and Chip each saved Steve's life at least once. Steve has returned the favor with Jason and Chip. Charlie was wounded helping us rescue Steve and Chip from terrorists in Iraq. Even my dad was wounded on that trip.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.