The Investigators
Chapter 10

Copyright© 2014 by carniegirl

Day 9 Part 1

May: You know I hate this Café.

Mike: It's where the breakfast voucher is accepted. You got to relax and just go with the flow. You fight the flow you will wear yourself out and still not get anywhere.

May: It that more of Wes' bullshit Zen.

Mike: When you hitchhike on the waves of contentment, you get to the same place refreshed and ready to fight the good fight. It is Wes' own version of Zen. So let's go inside and just go with it.

May: What an ass.

Once inside they were assaulted with the smell of burning pig flesh and bird embryos.

Waitress: I see the lawyer and the bitch boy are back. What y'all want this morning?

Mike: Two specials and some information. What the hell is the Village, some kind of resort community?

Waitress laughing: Not hardly honey. It's some kind of hippy nostalgia place out on the back road to College Hill. It you drive out there, you will see a sign that says festival park, follow those signs to the office of sorts. You will recognize it for what it is.

May: These eggs are much better than those cooking in my egg cooker, but I bet I have lost a few months off my life eating here.

Mike: All lost years come off the end of your natural life. Do you really want to be in a hospital bed hooked to tubes for a few more months? Or would you rather have good eggs now.

May: Shit that actually makes sense. That's one scary thought. It means the government is fucking with us with all these health warnings.

Mike: Yeah, the trick is to eat so that you can enjoy the good years. I have not done that, but now I am trying to do it. You know I miss my bicycle. Wes has me riding every day before work. It clears my mind just like he said it would. It, along with the shower after, and the white pill helps me think. The pills do nothing on their own. I have tried.

May: You seem to have made a lot changes in just two weeks.

Mike: Time is not measured by the passing of daylight. It is measured by what we overcome on our journey, and by the distance we travel.

May: You know it's a good thing I wasn't issued a weapon for this trip. I think I would shoot you.

Mike: You do not want to do that it would only add to the burden your soul must carry on its journey to the light. (He knew that he was fucking with her and he enjoyed it.)

May: That's it. One more of those little wisdoms and I'm going to stab you with this butter knife.

They finished their breakfast in silence. The waitress had hovered to listen to Mike/Wes' philosophy.

Waitress handing them their receipt and taking the voucher: You talk real nice. What your real name?

Mike: Michael, but Mike is ok.

Waitress: If you can get away from the lawyer bitch, call me. (She wrote her number on the receipt.)

May: (once they were outside) Shit, how often does that happen?

Mike: Er, never. And you wondered why I think so much of Wes.

May: Getting laid isn't everything.

Mike: Getting me laid may be the only thing worthwhile we do today.

May: You may never get laid by anything other than a skanky crack whore.

Mike: (with good humor) Killer of dreams, thy name is May May.

May: Bitch boy.


Salina had a bowl of oatmeal then went to the office to check on the others. She was determined to keep them safe. It was what she had always done, keep people safe.


Eddie and Wes went to breakfast at the Dairy Queen. They had an ID picture of Rose Seabold from her pot business application. They began with the waitress behind the counter.

Eddie: Do you know this woman.

The shift manager pushed by her to look at the picture.

Shift manager: We all started here a few weeks ago, and I ain't never seen her. Sorry, now you are holding up the line.

Wes looked upset but Eddie shook his head.

Eddie: How about two of your big bacon egg and cheese sandwiches and two coffees?

The bacon egg and cheese came on a sour dough role.

Wes: No wonder this was her favorite breakfast place. That is a really good sandwich.

Eddie: Too much bread.

Eddie picked at his with a plastic fork taken from the coffee bar. They were quite the odd couple. Eddie picking at his sandwich as if he was having high tea at the White House, while Wes tore into his like a stray dog.

Wes: So we going to the tea plant next?

Eddie: It would be the next logical stop. Maybe her buddy Bart can help us locate her.

Wes: Oh I'm sure he can. The real question is will he? They are all connected but we have to find the threads. I don't think they are going to hand them to us.

Eddie: Stop with that Zen shit, just say it.

Wes: You know what I meant. The common thread is Swamp Dog and the first rule of Swamp Dog is?

Eddie: The first rule of Swamp Dog, is never talk about Swamp Dog no matter how insignificant the question seems.

Wes: Right, the Evil Mercenary. He stands alone on the scorched battleground asking help from no one, and giving free help to no one.

Eddie: You don't believe that shit do you.

Wes: (With a shrug) Don't matter what I believe. It only matters what they believe.

They left the restaurant and drove to the downtown of Mossberg. They parked the rental car across from the factory. It was impossible not to notice that the whole block had been restored. It had the look of old New York style condominiums.

Wes: I'll bet you ten bucks Rose has a hand in those.

Eddie: No bet, I read the file about her real estate developments as well as you.

The only empty parking space in that block of Main Street was in front of a fenced in, very small private park at the very end of the block. It had probably been a parking lot for the original retail stores predating the condos.

After entering the unsecured front door they found Bart inside the plant mixing ingredients for his special herb tea. He was wearing a white lab coat and one of those silly looking hairnets.

Eddie: Bart my name is Eddie. I work for the Senate Committee investigating Swamp Dog. I would like to ask you some questions.

Bart: Yeah I thought so. I got a call from the manager of the DQ and one from the owner of the fish camp.

Wes: Nothing goes unnoticed in a small town.

Bart: Some things do. They didn't tell me about you. So are you that guy.

Wes: It's not me.

Eddie: (confused) You two know each other.

Bart: No I thought he was someone else. So what do you want to know?

Eddie: Well are you, or have you ever been an employee of Swamp Dog.

Bart: (without any hesitation) I make herbal tea, nothing more.

Eddie: I have it on good authority that you worked for the Swamp Dog at one time.

Bart: I make herbal tea, nothing more.

Eddie: Then before you made Herbal tea.

Bart: We have reached the point where I must talk with my lawyer before I say anything else.

Eddie: I believe your girlfriend is the lawyer for Swamp Dog. She your lawyer too?

Bart: Sorry I'm going to answer no more questions without consulting with my lawyer.

Eddie: Just one more question. Where is Rose Seabold?

Bart: I have no idea.

Eddie: We are going to find her. You could make it easier on yourself.

Bart: I make herbal tea, nothing else.

Eddie: From what I hear you froze Iris Martin out of her own plant. If I were you I would be worried.

Bart: I make herbal tea, nothing else.

The two of them left. They crossed the street and looked at the plate glass windows on the renovated building. They each had a name from the building's past. They both realized what a great view of Main Street those buildings had.

Eddie: How did he know you.

Wes: He doesn't know me. Trust me he has never met me, nor I him. He was just reminding me that we are all connected. Some in different ways, but we are all connected.

Eddie: Guys with your background have always been a mystery to me. I just need to know, can I trust you?

Wes: My background is why I was chosen. Yours is also why you were chosen. Just like Bart back there knows. We are all connected. Some connections are stronger than others.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.