The Investigators - Cover

The Investigators

Copyright© 2014 by carniegirl

Chapter 6

Weekend 1

Eddie was up at 6 AM which was his usual time. He read the local paper on line with a cup of coffee made the night before. While he did that fresh coffee brewed in the drip machine. The machine was one of the old style Mr. Coffee knock offs sold in Walmart. It might be a knock off, but it made good coffee. Eddie joked that it should have been called Mr. China.

As was usual he ate a bowl of custom cereal which he mixed himself. It was a blend of cheap cereals bought at the dollar store. The kitchen cabinet that served as his pantry was filled with many food items from that particular store.

Since it was the weekend he would be making a list and going to both the dollar store and the grocery section of the Walmart later that day. Between the two he could find all he needed. The two cheapest places in town were still way too expensive in his opinion.

After the coffee and the morning update of the news, Eddie took a shower and dressed for the wait. He had no idea how long it would take the Home Depot installer to arrive. They were seldom early, almost always late.


Mike was up at 10 AM more or less. Like all young people he could never seem to get enough sleep. Most likely because he stayed up until well after 1 AM. Unlike his usual habit he used the time to compile information on the mysterious blond. He had an advantage the others who looked for her over the years lacked. He had access to many terabytes of information gleaned from the archives of the NSA.

Tracking the mysterious blonde would have been hard, maybe even impossible without that information. It might have been done previously if those archived files could have been accessed in real time. In other words if there had been a system that could process all the data he had available, the mysterious blonde could have been identified before she did her killing thing. At least she could have been brought to justice somewhere along the way.

Mike knew it was just a matter of time till he could identify her. Courtroom style evidence was for the others to worry about. His job was to identify her. He hadn't been officially told that, but in his mind the priority was to put a name to the gorgeous blonde's always hidden face.

He lacked that one piece of information to nail her ass. He needed something from the early days. So far she was just the mysterious blonde, or possibly Rose Seabold, who at best was a ghost, or at worst no longer existed. He knew that at present the ID was so murky that it made the investigation a complete cluster fuck.

Mike loved puzzles, which was why he was so good with a computer. He was preparing to hunker down with his cup of coffee and power bar. He was determined to learn to like black coffee. Sure he knew it was just so that he would get to run with the big boys. So what, he thought.

As he filled the coffee cup a stranger entered the kitchen. The man looked terribly embarrassed. Mike could see the indecision on his face. He was trying to decide if he should back out or try to bluff his way through.

Stranger (extending his hand): Hello, you must be Michael. Your mother has told me all about you.

Mike (Ignoring the hand): And you are?

Stranger: I'm Simon and I have to go. I just thought I would introduce myself. I didn't want to sneak off like a thief now that you are some kind of super cop.

Mike: That's not really what you thought. You though oh shit busted. And it was not alright to sneak around when I was Sarah's son Michael the computer nerd either.

Simon: That's not what I meant, but I really should go.

Simon was obviously very uncomfortable as he left the room. Mike returned to the basement with a power bar and his coffee cup. He stayed with his computers until 2 PM when he took a break. He rode the bike ten miles before he returned home to shower.

When he found his mother in the kitchen with a smile on her face, he knew he shouldn't but he just couldn't help himself.

Mike: So Mom did you get your itch scratched?

Sarah: Michael that is rude. I suppose I have your new friends to thank for that kind of comment. (She paused then smiled) Yes Simon stayed over and if you must know, we had sex. This is still my house and I can do what or whoever I want.

Mike: Yes you can.

He said that as he walked to the basement door. Then descended the steps into the artificially dark room.


Salina had a steady stream of sick and injured people at her door. She cleaned wounds and dispensed aspirin all day. She also referred people to the free clinic if they were in serious trouble. The poor, who could, made donations for bandages and antiseptics.

The local Catholic Church brought aspirin and other mild pain meds over in huge bottles. Those were donated by manufacturers or drugstore chains. Many were nearing their expiration dates, but they were still effective.

She often had to ask a patient to bite down on a towel, while she stitched a knife wound. The gang bangers couldn't go to the hospital emergency room, or the free clinic, since they were forced to report the wound.

In exchange for her treatment of the gang bangers, she got protection and a few dollars for supplies from them. Her apartment was declared a safe zone.

When the gang wars ravaged the neighborhood armed men from different gangs had stood by the entrance to her apartment to make sure she was safe. She asked them to leave as it discouraged the poor illegals from seeking help. Such was Salina's life in those days.

She often had dreams of her former lives. Those dreams were filled with fear and agony. She described herself as the junkie whore nurse, because it was accurate. At least it had been accurate at one time.

She found a day old pastry in her refrigerator and had that for breakfast along with a cup of strong coffee. She was allowed out of her home only to work or go to the store. She had to explain any deviation from her approved schedule. So she stayed home and watched TV while she waited for the next crying child or injured worker who had no insurance and a fear of the system.


Wes was either hung over, drinking, or having really horrendous dreams all weekend. He tried not to sleep since all sleep brought to him was a long line of victims, victims of his former employment. He was in fact the personification of the evil men that do, in the name of the greater good.


May woke up Saturday in her own bed with a young attorney. She had met him as she left the Senator's office. He was one of the multitude of young lawyers who worked in the Senate office building.

He was probably a good judge of character as he recognized her available look. He took her to dinner, then she took him to her bed. After she dressed for the day, they caught a cab to his apartment so that he could shower and change. May found his wife waiting. She tried to think of some excuse for being there other than the truth but just stared at the woman stupidly.

She and the man's wife had an awkward conversation while he showered. He was planning to dress for a day in the park with May.

Tommy's wife: So you are Tommy's latest whore.

May: Would you rather I left?

Edith: Why bother, we both know what the two of you have been doing.

May: I didn't know he was married. I would never have come here if I did. What is he some kind of sadist rubbing your nose in his affairs?

Edith: It is some of that and some just plain insensitivity. When he gets dressed, he is going to take us both to lunch. We will sit and try to be polite.

May: I have no idea how you can do this. I mean you are so gracious.

Edith: I do it because I love him. Why did you do it?

May: I guess because he was charming and swore he was great in bed.

Edith: Oh he is both of those. He is also a narcissistic sociopath. But I have to admit he is lovable. (she was smiling)

May (trying to decide whether or not to run like hell): This is a little strange. I have never met anyone so understanding.

Edith: I would expect that is true. I know it's very strange but honey it's our life. You might enjoy it if you try just going with it. (She smiled brightly)

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.