Aging Well - Cover

Aging Well

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 20 [Sandy writes]

I was only a little surprised at Jack’s quick decisions and fast timetable. He knew that I wanted us married very soon. We now had a wedding date and an appointment for counseling on Tuesday. I figured that Monday would see us at the courthouse getting a marriage license. I wasn’t sure what I would need but knew where all the information about Mike’s death was filed in my condo. I had planned to keep it for five years at least. We went to the same restaurant for lunch as last week. Jack would have taken me anywhere but the food was good and it was not out of the way.

While we were there, John said, “I hope I didn’t embarrass either of you earlier. I’m very excited for both of you.

“Pray for me tomorrow. I’m going to work and quit without notice if they won’t give me an immediate leave. I’m also putting the house on the market. We stretched to buy it and Pam never liked it or the neighborhood. I have a realtor coming over around four with a listing contract. I think Pam will sign it if I do. If we don’t get back together, my new position probably won’t be able to pay for it.

“The important thing tomorrow is lunch with Pam. I’m going to show her what I’m doing and why. I hope it’s enough to get us on the road to healing our relationship.” His eyes had tears in them. Sandy reached over and patted his hand.

Becky said, “I had a request yesterday that I didn’t know how to address.” We all nodded at her to go ahead. She continued, “I went to the hospital and visited mom. She is feeling much better. She was talking about selling the house. She asked me to go by and check on it which I did. The house looked okay. I cleaned up a few things. It looks like no one had been there which is good.

“That’s good but that’s not the request issue. Dad, she still wants to see you. She won’t say why though I have told her that you are getting married to a wonderful person. I think she knows that you two are over. I just don’t know what to tell her.”

Jack looked troubled. I said, “He will visit her. I will go with him though I will wait outside.” I could tell Jack was not happy with that plan. “Jack, give her closure. I trust you and have no worries about our love for each other. We can go tomorrow when we go for our license.” He looked unhappy but nodded.

We finished our meal. John left for his house and the meeting with the real estate agent. We took Becky back with us to the complex. Becky went to Jack’s condo and we went into mine. We sat down on the couch.

Jack said, “I’m not sure about seeing my ex. I have closure and thought she did, too. I really don’t have anything to say to her, Sandy.”

“I understand, dear. However, she might have something to say to you that she needs to say. Regardless of what she says, I love you and know you love me.”

“Okay. I’ll do it. I really have no desire for a relationship with her. There is too much that has flowed down that river.”

I hugged him and kissed him. I said, “We have another duty. We need to go see your parents and siblings. We need to call them today and tell them the news and our wedding date. We could go over there, leaving Tuesday and coming back Thursday. That would still give us two days to prepare for our wedding.

“Jack, we might have a little church reception on an informal basis. Reverend Robert can probably help with that. I would like to join that church at the service. We can talk to him about that on Tuesday, too.”

“I would like to move my letter to this church, too. An informal reception would be okay but I don’t want a big one for two reasons. First, someone will have to really bust their ass to make it happen whereas a small one can be done fairly easily. Second is that fact that I want to take you away on a honeymoon.”

“Jack, I hadn’t thought of that. Where do you want to go and do?”

“How about a two-week camping trip?” He said that in a low voice.

“Perfect! Do you want to go to one place or a few?”

“I was scared that you wouldn’t want to camp on your honeymoon. I was prepared for a negative explosion.”

“Jack, I love that trailer! The first time we made love was in that trailer. You proposed to me in that trailer. We will be together and outdoors.” She looked at me very firmly and lovingly. “I plan for us to be in that trailer more than our official home. When you told me where you were going that Monday, I knew that I wanted to be with you. That was more true as we went looking and then, when we ate and you prayed, I knew then I didn’t want you to get away.”

I grabbed him and kissed him for a year or two. By then, I was straddling him with my dress around my hips from both top and bottom. Jack was kneading my breasts and I was moaning when the doorbell rang!

We froze like two teenagers caught by a parent. It rang again. I got up. “Walk slowly, Jack. I need a second to put my clothes back together.” I had the skirt part back in place already and was pulling the top into place hurriedly and smoothing everything into place. Jack reached the door and looked at me. I nodded. He opened the door.

It was Stella and Don Emerson, the Sunday school teacher. Stella said, “May we come in?” I nodded and Jack let them inside. Stella continued, “We stopped at your place, Jack! Your daughter said you were here talking! We try to visit new people in the church and, especially, our class! Becky has nice things to say about you both! She said you will be married at the church next Sunday?”

I don’t know why but Stella makes me out of breath just listening to her talk. I smiled. “Yes, we talked with Reverend Robert and set a time of three in the afternoon.”

Stella took off again as I waved them to be seated. “That’s great! We can have a reception afterwards! That will be so good! Have you picked out a dress yet? You will make a beautiful bride! The class will be cheering the two of you on! It will be a real celebration of love!”

I realized that Stella talked in exclamation points. I said, “Slow down, Stella! We are planning a quiet little wedding. The church will be invited but we don’t want a big ‘to do’ to celebrate our nuptials. We considered a civil ceremony but we both want to be married in church. We don’t want anything big and fancy. Jack and I will just walk down the aisle together and present ourselves to God. We hadn’t planned any food or drink for a reception.”

She said, “That’s no problem! I’ll get some of the class to help! We’ll take care of the whole thing! You won’t have to do anything! It will be soo exciting!”

I could feel Jack next to me shaking with mirth. Don was looking at Stella and me smiling. I said, “Stella, we don’t want this to get blown out of proportion. It’s going to be a quiet event. We hadn’t even planned on having any music.”

That got Stella started again. “I will get Claudia to stay at the church and play! She’s in the class! It will be grand!”

I thought, “Shit!” I looked at my husband to-be. “Jack, you could help slow the onslaught!”

He began laughing and Don quickly joined in. I added to it. Stella looked at us and said, “What’s so funny? It will be a delightful wedding! Members will talk about it for years!”

I hugged Stella. “Stella, we are the only ones who need to remember it. Now, if you want to do something about a ‘small’ reception, I will permit it but clear it with me first. We don’t want some grand production. We’re just two older people getting married. We don’t need a grand production. Stella, we’re planning to go camping for our honeymoon. Low key, it all must be low key.”

Stella was reluctant but she said, “Okay! How about punch and some cookies and brownies? You will have guests who should have an opportunity to congratulate you both!”

I could see that she is a kindly soul. I just didn’t want things to get out of hand. “Stella, I will invite my next door neighbor. Jack’s kids will be there and he might have a very few other relatives come. That’s all the guests other than those in the church who can make it. Jack and I do not want a big production.

“Please understand our wishes in this matter!”

Stella said, “You don’t have any relatives! You poor baby! All the more reason for your church family to be at your wedding!”

Even subdued, Stella still talked in exclamations. I said, “I have some aunts and uncles but they don’t live close and I’m not close to them. We are not inviting the world to our wedding. It is what we want, Stella.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.