A Glimpse Through the Mist of Time - Cover

A Glimpse Through the Mist of Time

Copyright© 2013 by Texrep

Chapter 13

I was always of the opinion that when you got people to work for you, and you were confident in their abilities you left them alone to get on with the job. Tina was constantly nagging me to go up and inspect the work. Her constant refrain was that Aleksy needed my approval for many things. I replied that Aleksy was competent and did not need my overseeing of his work. "Tina, it would seem as if I didn't trust him. You are up there every weekend. If there were problems you would let me know very quickly."

"I think you should come up one weekend, Boss. Aleksy would be happy and of course you can then take Annabel out for dinner as you promised."

"You're not going to let that go. Are you?"

"Nope! You are going to have a lovely home and you will need a lovely hostess for that home. Someone who knows the area and who knows the right people with whom to mix."

"Are you seeing yourself and Aleksy as part of the mixture?"

"Of course. If you are going to re-locate the office there then you need me around. I am hoping that the business will buy a nice house for Aleksy and me to rent."

"Oh? You have it all worked out."

"Well someone has to organize you."

Eventually I gave in and agreed to go up to Great Yeldham for the weekend. Tina booked me a room at the pub against her desperate pleading that I needed a good hotel, 'to complete your seduction of Annabel' as she put it. I needed a little more encouragement from Bella before I would attempt that. I phoned Bella and asked if she was free that Saturday. "I will be stopping over this weekend and hoped that you would join me for dinner."

"Why, Daniel. How good of you to ask." She chuckled. "I am free that evening and would be happy to accept your invitation."

"Is there a good restaurant you would recommend?"

"There is one in Tilbury. It's called the Bon Vivant." Annabel replied. "I am told it is very good."

"In that case we shall hopefully enjoy some of the good life." I returned.

"Oh! Touché." We laughed. She went on. "Shall I book a table for us?"

"That would be helpful, yes please."

"I'll do that and let you know when to pick me up. As you are here for the weekend, can I persuade you to call in at Meadowlea and spend a little time with my father? He is most anxious to meet you."

"Of course. When would be best?"

"Come on Sunday morning for coffee."

"Fine. I would like to meet your father."

Aleksy was quite happy to see me. He insisted on taking me around the house and pointing out various items. I was right to let him have some leeway. The work he and his crew put in was excellent. The doors were in place, the windows were being fixed and in the hall the half-landing was finished. Boxes of tiles were awaiting the tile layer. Out front one of his men had started paving. I watched for a while as Aleksy explained. "Base of gritty sand, levelled, tampered and slight slope away from house. Setts are tapped in position. When many down the gaps are filled with a dry sand and cement mixture. Spray lightly with water and let the mixture harden then point before it's set completely." The work must be back-breaking yet the man who was doing it seemed very happy.

I decided to broach a subject with Aleksy. "I am certain that Tina has told you that I intend to expand my business into this area. My interests in East London will carry on but I shall need someone with your expertise to carry out the day to day maintenance of my property in this area. I was hoping that you can cover both areas."

"Is good, Boss. Tina has told me what you are doing and she says that I should form a Company doing maintenance. I know men in East London who would work for me, good men. I am sure I can find good men in Colchester and Ipswich area."

"All Polish I imagine?"

"Probably. I have visited the Polish clubs here and have talk with many men who want to work and do good job."

"O.k., Aleksy. That has put my mind at rest. I am sure there will be quite a lot of work for you, when this is finished."

Later that evening at the pub, Tina tackled me. "Have you talked with Aleksy?"

"Tina you know full well I have talked with him. He has ideas of forming a Company, but you know that as it was you who put the idea into his head. It makes sense though. The turnover could be considerable. We should talk to Chad about it, why else do I pay an accountant if I cannot get advice from him?"

I could see from her expression that she had more to say. "If you move your business address to the Dower House, it would make sense for Aleksy to register his business there as well, then I can look after your admin and his. After all his business will depend upon you."

"Now why didn't I think of that?" I enquired sarcastically. "Of course as I will not get your attention full time then, I can reduce your salary."

"Daniel Chandler you are little more than a Scrooge. You get full value from my efforts and you will keep that full value. If needed I shall work on Aleksy's admin in my own time."

I had suspected this turn for quite some time. This didn't trouble me, if I bought property and had to wait for months for it to be brought up to standard then I lost money. With Aleksy and his Company doing this work I would always be a priority, Tina would see to that.

Saturday evening found me driving to pick up Bella. She had given me directions to Meadowlea and they were quite simple. Drive past the Dower House and continue down the lane for three miles. Turn right at the crossroads and I would find Meadowlea on the right after two hundred yards. A Drive of some fifty yard ended in a turning circle before the house. It was one of those houses that defied dating. It seemed to have its roots in Tudor architecture but it had grown various other styles as the years went by. Bella was waiting for me as I drove around the circle to the door. I had always seen her when she was wearing jodhpurs and a jacket. Dressed as she was now in a pretty dress and high heels she was a picture. "You found us." She smiled.

"Yes. Being a City boy I packed the boot with survival gear, just in case. May I say you look lovely" She beamed with pleasure. I walked round to open the passenger door. I assumed that I wouldn't be introduced to her father just now.

"Thank you." She slipped into the car easily. She had learned the lesson of how ladies got into a car without displaying their undergarments. When I got in the car she was leaning over presenting her lips for me to kiss. I did. "Good! We have established that we have got to the kissing stage."

"What other stages are there?" I asked mischievously.

"If you don't know, Mr. Chandler, then I shall have to work very hard for us to get there. But it's going to be a lot of fun finding out."

"Do you know, I think it will be."

"Turn right at the bottom of the Drive." She turned slightly in her seat and looked at me quizzically. "Daniel, I have a feeling that you are not quite the innocent you portray."

"I didn't think that it was innocence."

"What was it then?"

I thought for a moment. "Diffidence is the word I would use."

"Interesting. Why do you think that?"

I took my time gathering thoughts. Bella gave me directions which I followed. Finally I had found the words to answer. "I suppose it is a question of geography. I am a city boy. Raised in the city, I learned the lessons of the city and found my place in the city. I could wheel and deal with the best and survived whilst I learned my business. It would be untrue to say it was a man's world, but women were few and far between in that environment. Those women I would meet were professional. Professional businesswomen and professional arm candy who seem to have a nose for a healthy bank balance. I had no need to flirt or woo. There was an understanding, it was an exchange of assets. So those talents are not part of my armoury. I am now in a completely different situation, so whilst it may come across as innocence it is really diffidence. The manners of the metropolis are very different to those in the country. I am learning."

"I think I shall have to question you more about your professional women, but for the moment I will accept diffidence."

Bella gave me directions as I drove and I was surprised as the restaurant, when we arrived, appeared not to be a restaurant but someone's home. Bella was unconcerned as she took my hand and led me to the door. It was not locked and we simply walked in to be greeted by a woman in her thirties wearing chef's whites and blue and white checked trousers. "Hello Bella, it's good to see you again. I imagine this must be Mr. Chandler." She and Bella kissed cheeks and she offered her hand to me to shake.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.