A Glimpse Through the Mist of Time
Chapter 8

Copyright© 2013 by Texrep

Authors note: In the description later in this chapter I use British terms for the floor plan, i.e. Ground floor and first floor. American usage would have those as first and second floor.

Whatever I wondered it seemed that Aleksy was very happy with Tina. I knew when he arrived as I heard the door, yet there was quite a few minutes before Tina, blushing profusely brought him into my office. "I'll make some coffee." She said.

"And wipe your face." I told her.

"Why?"

I delivered my punch-line. "You have a big smile on it." "Oh you!" She blushed a little more and left.

Aleksy seemed to be confused by this exchange. "Don't worry, Aleksy. It's just our banter." I told him. "Tina will explain it later."

He nodded accepting my explanation. "Is good house." He started. "Walls strong and no damp. Roof o.k., needs some new slates and ridge tiles re-setting. Most Roof timbers good a couple need re-placing. Floors upstairs good, just needing sanding and staining. Stairs have rot, need replacing."

"Why is that?" I interrupted him. "If the floors upstairs are o.k., why just the stairs?"

"I think robbers caused that. They ripped out the water pipes without turning off water. Pipes were all Lead. Water cascaded down stairs, I think reason why the hall tiles have lifted. Same with electrics, all Copper when they were installed."

"I see."

"Windows, doors all gone. They would be good seasoned timber. If you restore old house somewhere else, better to take doors and windows and not pay. Good timber and right style. Probably bloody Rumanians."

"You don't like the Rumanians?"

"No. Poles come to work. Rumanians and Albanians come to thieve."

So much for our wonderful European Union. How can you make a union of people who in essence distrust other nationalities and in some cases actually hate. Bureaucrats molly-coddled and wrapped in cotton wool in Brussels or Strasbourg need to get out and see the damage their ill-thought policies create. However I did not believe that Rumanians and Albanians are more criminally inclined than any other nationality. Tina came in with the coffee taking my mind away from the idiocy of the E.U. "You have started without me." She accused.

"No. Not really. Aleksy was reminding me of what he said when I came down on Friday."

"Yes, I am sure." She accepted my explanation with some doubt. "I've been thinking."

I groaned. "Tracey! It's my business. I do the thinking and when I have thought you make it happen."

"Yes I do. Even when your thinking is total rubbish."

"You're fired."

"Ok. Now you won't find out what I was thinking."

"Tell me then, and if it is a silly idea I shall fire you after I have heard it."

She turned to Aleksy. "See what I have to put up with. He is the most obstinate and rude dirty old man. Why I stay here I do not know." Aleksy wisely said nothing.

Tina raised her cup to her lips all the time giving me a look that should have shrivelled me. However I was used to those looks and just smiled. "It could be a lovely house, Daniel." She was in mollifying mood. "When Aleksy has done, I don't think you should sell or rent the house. I think we should move the business there. You can live in the house and Aleksy and I will find somewhere near to live. There is so much room in the place that you can have a really good office and still have plenty of room to rattle around. If needed we can get back down here in about an hour and a half."

I sat back in my chair and sipped at my coffee making her think I was ruminating on her idea. Actually the same thought had occurred to me over the weekend. I was thirty-two and it was time I put down roots somewhere. The Chetford estate would be ideal. Eventually I put her out of her misery. "I do believe that your thought has some merit." The smile on her face was instant. "But before I make that decision I shall have to see if I can operate in that area as well as here."

Tina nodded her head wisely. "Good thought. I shall do some research and see what property prices are like in places like Chelmsford, Colchester and Ipswich. Also what kind of rents you can get." She stopped and smiled. "I take it I am not fired then?"

"Not this time." I turned to Aleksy. "Right, Aleksy. You have done the survey, tell me what the bottom line is. What will it cost me and can you do the work?"

"I can do work, Mr. Chandler. Estimate for making the place structurally sound ... in region of fifty thousand. That's all exterior and interior work. New doors and windows included."

I saw Tina's face of thunder. "Aleksy. I am a businessman. You should be a businessman also. Tina told me that you would under-estimate. If I accept that I will have a secretary who hates me. Now tell me the true price."

"Is good price. I will have work for three months. You good boss. I am happy."

"I'm not. If you re-submit an estimate of seventy thousand I would accept that. Aleksy, when I negotiate I always leave something on the table for the other man. You never know when you will want a favour from him." I glanced at Tina from the corner of my eyes. She was happy.

Many businessmen, more hard-headed than I would say I was stupid but in my mind I had budgeted for seventy thousand. Perhaps later I may regret my attitude. The important thing for me was that I had already made my mind up to live in the Dower House. I will let Tina believe she planted the idea. The Chetford estate was my heritage. My family hitherto had been just my mother and a father who I had never known. People who had known both parents, their grandparents and even possibly their great grandparents would have little idea of the importance kids like me set upon finding the family they had never known. I was not just conjured out of thin air, I had suddenly found this heritage and I would cherish that heritage. Luckily I was able to spend the money to bring it back to life. I could and I would bring that house back to life.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.