Through a Glass Dimly, Book 3 - Cover

Through a Glass Dimly, Book 3

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

Chapter 15

Karen said, "He shouldn't try to treat me like a baby. I'm not and I'm old enough to know what I want. They have had nothing to do with us not even sending Christmas or birthday presents or cards consistently."

Lisa looked at me and I looked at the time. Frank would be going into church. I called him. "Frank, Al here. I may have an issue. Jack's parents are making sounds like they are going to remove Karen from my home. Can we get something fast from the court to give me some paper rights?"

"Yes. I'll leave Pam and Frankie to get to church, print out a TRO and find Judge Benson. Are you all there at home?"

"Yes."

"Good. Keep your phone handy. You may have to go before the judge. I have a copy of the will but he will probably want to talk to Karen, too."

"That will be fine. Thanks, Frank."

I thought for an instant. "Lisa, here's my phone. If Frank calls, we will do what he says. Why don't you call Stan and Irene to get some outside help here just in case. I'm going to clean up and dress."

I did quickly. Lisa got hold of Stan. He had to report in but Irene could come by and stay. The department had split them up. It was policy. Members of the same family couldn't be partners. By the time I was dressed and ready for anything, Irene had arrived wearing her pistol and badge outside her slacks. I gave her hug and said, "How's the hottest detective on the force?"

She smiled and said, "You say that to all the female detectives." We chuckled. "Lisa told me what is going on. Let's hope he's smart. If he's not, you're my backup."

We waited. Karen said, "Have you ever shot anyone, Missus Irene?"

"No. I have bruised a few. I'm not in Al's league but the average wrong-doer finds me more than a match quickly."

My phone rang. Frank said, "Judge Benson wants both of you and Karen at his home right now. I'm on my way. I'll pick up Pam and Frankie on the way." He gave me the address. Lisa and I left with both teenagers. Irene was more than capable of holding down the fort.

We pulled up at the front of the Judge's home as Frank pulled up with Pam and Frankie. All of us went inside and met with the judge. Frank introduced us. The judge was a member of Optimist's and I had met him once before. He said, "Young lady, this is about you. I'm sorry for your loss. That is tragic and then having to go through this doesn't help.

"Frank, I have a recorder going. Please run through the facts again."

"Yes, your honor. I am Frank Lauder and represent Al and Lisa Chambers. They were entrusted with the care of the minor child of Jack and Emily Edwards for the last two weeks. Mister and Missus Edwards were due back by plane yesterday. That plane is reported to have crashed into the Gulf of Mexico. No one is known to have survived the crash.

"In addition to having custody of the minor, Karen Edwards, Mister Chambers is named as Executor and Trustee, and both are named as Guardians. The will is self-probating. As soon as we can procure death certificates, we will submit the wills of Jack and Emily Edwards for probate. This TRO is filed to evidence the preferred custodial persons for Miss Karen Edwards until the matter may be decided at a later hearing. We have reason to believe that a disgruntled relative may make some attempt to remove her person from the jurisdiction of this court.

"I have Mister and Missus Chambers and the minor, Karen Edwards, here for any questions the court might have."

The judge looked at Lisa. "Are you capable of handling custody of a fourteen year old?"

Lisa smiled gently. "Yes, your honor. Karen is a pleasure to have around. We have very much enjoyed her everyday presence these last two weeks."

"Thank you, Missus Chambers. Miss Edwards, where do you want to live?"

"I want to live with Mister Al and Missus Lisa. They see me a lot and know my needs, my likes and dislikes. I haven't seen my grandparents on my father's side but four or five times in my life. They had almost no contact with me or with my parents."

"Thank you." He looked at John and said, "Who are you, young man?"

"I am John Long. I am Karen's boyfriend. I listened to her grandfather talk to her. It was demeaning and he just wanted to boss her around and wouldn't listen to her at all. Karen is an honors student at school taking all advanced placement classes."

The judge said, "Very well, Mister Lauder. If you have an Order, I will sign it. I want everything filed first thing Monday morning. If there are interested parties like grandparents, I want them served and a hearing set for this week."

"Yes, sir. Here is the Order. I intend to make a copy for the Chambers if they need to show it to anyone until I can get a stamped one Monday morning. I'm not sure about brothers and sisters of the deceased but the grandparents are in town. I will coordinate a hearing with your secretary as quickly as people can be notified."

The judge shook hands with everyone. He said, "Miss Edwards, I knew your father. He was a fine man. If you honor his memory, he will be proud and you will do well." Tears came to Karen's eyes as she nodded. "Young man, take good care of her. She's a beautiful young lady and needs you to stand beside her right now."

"Yes, sir. That's what Mister Al told me yesterday and that's what I will do."

Frank ushered us out. We went by his office and he made a copy of the Order and gave it to me. We then headed for home.

On the way, Irene called. I handed the phone to Lisa. "Hi, Irene. What's happening?"

Lisa put the phone on speaker. Irene said, "The grandfather is here. He has a rifle. I have informed him that you are all gone and I'm police. I have called for back up. Don't pull into your drive. Let us handle getting him disarmed."

I said, "Irene, do you want me to do anything?"

"No. Let me handle it with uniformed officers for my backup. I don't think he wants to shoot anyone but that rifle escalated things dangerously. We were on our road going slowly when two police cars passed us going toward the house rapidly.

I said, "You have two cars headed your way fast. We will wait on the street." Lisa thumbed the button. We all sat back as I pulled up on the road out front.

Lisa said, "Well, shit!"

I shut down the engine, waved Frank in behind me, and got out to listen. I heard, "Mister Edwards, this is the police. One of our officers is inside. You need to put down the gun, sir. Things will only go downhill unless you release the gun." There was a silence. "Do it now, sir!"

I heard Edward's voice. "I only want my granddaughter. I don't want to hurt anyone. She's my flesh and blood. Turn her over to me and I'll leave."

The same officer said, "Mister Edwards, you are making that impossible. We will not turn any person over to you while you are threatening people with a rifle. I am asking you one more time to put the rifle down and raise your hands. If you don't do that, sooner or later, we will shoot you. If you move the rifle toward one of us, we will shoot you.

At that moment, Irene came out the front door. I know because I had run up our driveway. I didn't have my pistol deciding to leave it in the car. There were enough guns around already. Irene had her pistol in the standard two-handed grip. Edwards saw her and realized that he didn't know her. He could see her badge. I could see her badge. She said, "Mister Edwards, the family is not here. They know you are here and will not return until after you're disarmed."

He shouted, "If you don't bring her here, I will shoot and keep shooting until I see her."

Irene said, "No, sir. We won't let her come here. We won't turn her over to you. We will shoot you if you start to shoot at us. This is not a game and you don't control the situation. You can't start to shoot any of us before we shoot you. Drop the rifle! Do it now!" She moved out to avoid a cross fire and then began walking toward him still holding her pistol at ready. He let the rifle fall and began to cry. Irene moved quickly to kick the rifle out of his reach. She held her pistol still at ready. "Cuff him!" One of the officers placed handcuffs on Edwards and hauled him into the back of the cruiser.

The other officer said, "Where are your cuffs, detective?"

She said, "Bill, I'm off-duty and only had my badge and gun as required." She grinned. "Besides the cuffs make such an unsightly bulge at my waist." She saw me and said, "Al, good to see you. It's all over. We'll take him downtown and hold him at least overnight before there is a bond hearing. We met at Edwards' truck. Opening the door, I said, "Missus Edwards, you husband is going to jail. What do you want to do?" I looked a second time. "Missus Edwards?" I reached out and checked her pulse. It was beating steadily but she was intoxicated in some way.

Irene said, "Bill, get an ambulance. This woman is on something and we need to get her medical assistance. Also impound the truck.

The police cruiser with Mister Edwards in it backed around and left. I went to the other officer. "Officer, if you would move the car that way a couple feet, we can get our cars in. We are expecting callers from the plane crash death of Jack and Emily Edwards. Their daughter is with us."

He nodded and I went to the road. I pulled in with Frank behind me. I parked in the garage and he parked directly behind. Everyone got out. I explained what had happened out on the road. We all went inside and Irene joined us half an hour later. She said, "Missus Edwards is drugged or something. She's on the way to the hospital without lights or siren. The truck is being hauled away to impound and we have a traffic patrolman directing traffic. There are a lot of cars coming this way."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.