Through a Glass Dimly, Book 3 - Cover

Through a Glass Dimly, Book 3

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

Chapter 14

We left Saturday morning for the airport. Suddenly, I felt terrible. Lisa gasped. Karen screamed, "No!" I pulled over on the side of the road. Stargazer came into our minds actively and said, "Brightshine is gone. Jack and Emily's plane went down and he is gone with them." We were all sobbing with the pain of the loss. Karen lost her parents. She had talked to them Friday afternoon. She and John were looking forward to seeing them. Lisa and I realized that we had lost two good friends. We were still there when my phone rang. It was the airline telling me as the emergency contact that the plane had gone down over the Gulf. The airline person knew nothing more than that but suggested that we continue to the airport to quickly get all information as soon as it was available. I thanked the woman and hung up.

The car was well off the road and Lisa and I piled out to join the teens in the back and hug them. Both of them were sobbing and I held Karen and Lisa held John as they held each other. After many, many minutes and things had quieted down, I said, "Lisa, stay back here. I'm going to drive to the airport." I got out and sat in the driver's seat and got my emotions under control. I drove us to the airport and let the three of them out. I told Lisa I would park and meet them inside.

When I met them inside, I could tell that the airline confirmed what we already knew. Karen's parents were dead. The plane had lost power to its engines and the pilot announced he was diving to try to restart. All the while, he was calling "Mayday." He came in low and a U.S. Navy ship saw the jet hit the water and rushed boats and helicopters there but there were no survivors. The Transportation Board would investigate but it wouldn't bring back the lives lost.

I had Karen call her grandparents and let Lisa talk to them. Lisa told them that we were taking her back to our home where she had been. Jack's parents would drive down today. Emily's parents would have to fly. Lisa gave them her number and mine. She told them that we would have them picked up at the airport. I called Frank and told him the news. He and Pam knew something terrible had happened but not what. He said, "You know you are the executor and trustee with you and Lisa as Karen's guardians?"

"Yes, I will need your help."

"Of course, the three of us will be at your house when you get there." I found out later that Pam made calls to Lisa's parents, the church, and people at CIC and CME. They had a key and Frank left them to pick up some food. He told me later that Pam was in a "tell you what to do" mood and he did as he was told.

Paul and Linda made calls, also. We pulled into the driveway to many, many cars and trucks there. Jack and Emily were popular people and well known in our town. Stan was there and made a call. He quickly had two policemen directing traffic. Pastor Jim and his wife arrived at the same time as Jenna and Brian. Lisa and Jenna took Karen into the room she had been using after sending John to get their suitcases. He brought them in and put his in the adjacent room and handed Karen's through to Jenna.

John was coming down the hall and I saw him. "John, change into your Sunday clothes. You have one job today. When Karen comes out, you stay with her and be there for her. That's a tough job but you love her. You have to be her rock through this. Karen will be staying with us. You are also welcome to stay as long as the two of you want. I'll talk to your parents." He nodded and went back to change. I stopped by my room to quickly change into more formal clothing because shorts, sandals, and a casual shirt were no longer appropriate.

When I came out, I began to talk to people. The first four I saw were Pam and Frank and Red and Annie. The ladies hugged me and the men shook my hand. Both ladies had been crying. There were many more who were tearful that day.

Lisa and Jenna came out with Karen wearing a dress of Lisa's that looked comparatively formal but she seemed to be composed. The first two she saw were John and I. She went to John who embraced her and kissed her gently. She released him and came to me. She said, "Al, you're my dad now. What do I do?"

I said, "There will be many people here who loved your parents. They will want to speak to you. Let them. Stay with John. He has a job and that is to be by your side and love you. Lisa and I will be here and we love you, too. It's going to be a tough day. When you need to, tell John and he will take you back to your room for a while. You don't have to come out until you want to do so. Lisa and I will handle everything."

I hugged her and handed her back to John who was standing beside her. John never left her side all day.

Pastor Jim came to Karen and prayed with her and for her. He embraced her and kissed her forehead.

John's parents came over and talked to them both and hugged them crying together. I asked Stan and Brian if they would help John watch over Karen. They nodded and were never more than ten feet away. Karen knew them both fairly well as did John.

Early in the evening, Jack's parents came in. Karen introduced them to John who they had met but had never talked to him much before. The grandparents wanted her to go to Jack and Emily's house but Lisa was there with Paul and Linda. Lisa said, "No. She's been staying here and will continue to do so until she desires to go somewhere else." Karen was clinging to John tightly.

Jack's father said, "Missus Chambers, she's our grandchild. She should be with us."

Lisa said, "No."

I was across the room and started that way but Paul and Linda there and moved in on the senior Edwards. I heard Paul say, "Mister Edwards, you need to understand my daughter and her husband are Karen's guardians. This is a battle you shouldn't fight and won't win. The only thing trying to insist would do is to hurt your granddaughter. We will be glad to have you and Emily's parents stay with us. This is not the time to force Karen to enter that house. There is a lot to this situation that you will have to understand. You need to understand all the issues before you make any decisions or claims."

Paul and Linda were not two people I would want to argue with and the Edwards seemed to get the message particularly when Stan and Brian came to stand by the young couple. They weren't happy but subsided. During all this, Karen was clinging to John like he was her anchor in a storm. The kid did a marvelous job of keeping quiet but holding to Karen and doing his best to be her rock.

I went over to Ted and Alice. "You two should be proud of your son. He is doing what she needs right now. They are fine kids." Alice hugged me.

Ted said, "They've been with you. John may stay with her as long as she needs him. Right now, she needs a rock or two to cling to while she sorts her life out. Jack and Emily had told us that they have a will naming you two as guardians. You will do fine and will continue raising her to be a beautiful and fine young woman.

"Let us know what we can do. We're here for her just like you are. John may stay with her as long as she wants him to. She is welcome in our home any time."

I said, "Thank you and thank you for your understanding."

Lisa received a call from Emily's parents that they would arrive in the middle of the evening. She came to me. She said, "Do you want to pick them up or should I put Frank to work?"

"If Frank is willing, I will send him." He was walking toward us. I said, "Frank, would you pick up Emily's parents from the airport?"

"Sure. I will tell Pam where I'm going. May Frankie use a spare bedroom if he needs to lie down?"

"Of course. Karen is in the one next to ours. John is in the next one. Use it or use one of the others as suits you."

"Thanks, I'll tell her and hit the road. What are their names?"

I looked blank and Lisa said, "They are the Stevenson's."

Frank went to Pam and left.

He returned an hour and a half later with Emily's parents. Lisa and I were standing with Karen and John. Mister and Missus Stevenson came to her and hugged her tightly. Mister Stevenson shook John's hand. He said, "Thank you for standing with her, John. That's important." He looked at us and said, "You must be Lisa and Al Chambers. Jack and Emily thought highly of you. I can see why. Emily was so proud of Jack's job and part ownership. It fulfilled a dream that they had from early in their marriage."

Lisa said, "This isn't a good situation but I am glad to meet you. We're going to have you stay with my parents, Paul and Linda Goodbody. They have plenty of room and it won't be as hectic as this place is going to be for a few days. Karen has been with us and will continue to stay here as long as she wants. We're keeping John here, too. Please have some food. I know airlines don't feed people any more. There are a lot of people here who knew and loved your daughter and son in-law. They will want to speak with you. Jack and Emily will be sorely missed."

They went to get some food. Pastor Jim and Barbara came to us. Jim said, "It appears you are in charge, Al. I am presuming that you won't be in church tomorrow." I nodded. "I would like to schedule the memorial service for next Saturday pending anything different." I nodded again. "Lisa, I would like for you to speak at that service." He looked at John and said, "John, if you can do it, I would like you to speak also." He nodded. "There will be others but you two are important and important to Karen." Karen hugged onto John perhaps a little harder.

She lasted longer than I thought. Shortly after the Stevenson grandparents arrived, she had John take her to the bedroom. Stan and Brian stood guard at the door. Only the Edwards wanted to go in and disturb the young people. There was a short discussion but Stan finally pulled back his shirt to reveal his badge and pistol. I think that finally started to get through to them. Stan was polite but had to become firmer until he finally told Mister Edwards that an arrest was going to be the next step. Edwards actually said something and Stan said, "I can call over my chief who is here talking to Al and have him arrest you." They finally gave up. I felt badly for having foisted them off on Paul and Linda. They got a room at one of the motels instead. Linda said that she was glad.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.