Through a Glass Dimly, Book 3 - Cover

Through a Glass Dimly, Book 3

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

Chapter 1

We're into the New Year. Pam is in her and Frank's new home with their new baby taking some time off. They report that Frank, Junior, or Frankie does not cry much because Starcheer is in touch with him and let's them know his needs. Pam and Frank are two very happy people. It's obvious to everyone who sees them together. The kids in our Sunday school class all love Frankie and he doesn't go to the nursery but has plenty of holders in the class, even the guys.

Brian continues to come to church and pay attention to Jenna. She tells us that she still hasn't gone out with him though his persistence is wearing her down. They have had some lunches together but he has gone to CME and lunched in our break room, too. She asked Coolbeam to look into his mind and he reported that Brian is a changed man. Jack and Red Fred agree. I think Jenna is scared that he has because she likes him.

Whatever caused her to avoid men romantically is deep and will take time to be cured. Coolbeam has helped her but eventually a man will have to break through to her. I'm sort of cheering for Brian. He was man enough to examine things and change wrong thinking. Lisa and I have talked two different times about a partner for him without a conclusion. As a junior professor, he gets the crappy schedule and teaches morning and evening with time during the day for office hours and labs. It also means getting away for lunch is easy for him.

He came to CME one day when I was there and we caught him before he went out back. He makes it a point to say hello to Lisa before joining the guys in back. Lisa said, "We're going to talk to him today." Out loud to Brian, she said, "Brian, it's good to see you. Would you eat with us today?"

"Sure," he answered, "I am just brown bagging."

Lisa said, "That's fine. Al brought in sandwiches for us. Food is not that important. We would like to talk to you."

He looked a little worried but came in joining us at the small conference table in our office. I asked a blessing on our meal and we dug in.

Over bites, I started, "I don't know if you have noticed but some people here and at church are different including Jenna."

"Different, how?"

"It's more and less than being Christians. We have presences in our heads. Most couples that have one who they share. Ours is called Stargazer. He has been with us for a while. He has peers or friends who have joined with other people. Jenna's partner is called Coolbeam.

"Stargazer is here. Greet Brian, Stargazer."

A small light appeared and Stargazer said, "Hello, Brian. I am Stargazer. Lisa and Al have thought of you a lot lately. Your first meeting wasn't very auspicious, was it?" Brian shook his head. "You seem changed and more willing to listen to others."

He swallowed and said, "Yes, I was mad at myself for being a fool. Al humiliated me by effortlessly controlling me though I deserved it. I have the feeling that arguing with Al could be bad for a person's health."

Lisa smiled and said, "It would be if you did it physically. After Al earned his engineering degree, he went to work for the government and was taught how to protect himself and others. He saved my life with those abilities allowing him and Stargazer to heal my injuries from the shooting before I died."

Brian said, "You were the couple! I should have made the connection. I read that you were wounded but went home."

Lisa said, "I should have died in that hall. After Al dispatched Andrews, he came to me. I was shot in the stomach and was dying. Stargazer healed me using Al's strength to sustain me as I healed. I don't even have a scar. My heart is always cheered to know that they care as much as they do."

She smiled at me gently. She said, "That's not why we asked you to join us. We would like you to talk to us and to Stargazer about having an alien partner for yourself."

Brian looked surprised. "What is it like?"

I said, "You will never be alone again. Stargazer is always with each of us. Because of the healing and use of my strength in Lisa, we have an additional bond beyond even that. Stargazer can manipulate our bodies to some extent. Healing Lisa's injuries took a lot of his strength and used a fair bit of mine. It was worth it. We care for each other even more than before if that's possible."

"Will I be able to read minds?" We shook our heads. "Will I have super powers?" We shook our heads.

I chuckled and said, "You might be able to bear the pain of resisting me but things would still be broken and mangled."

"What do I get out of it then?"

I said, "For starters, you will never be alone like we said. You will have friend who understands you completely like no one else can. Your body will be the best it can be. I don't think you will ever be sick again. Stargazer is able to work with our automatic bodily systems to help us help ourselves be the best we can be. Persons have been cured of cancer by their partners."

He said, "What do they get out of this partnership?"

Lisa said, "They enjoy our emotions and lives. They live vicariously through us. They have no bodies and, though we give them masculine and feminine pronouns, I think that a sexual proclivity is irrelevant to them. It is a partnership. You don't mistreat them and they don't mistreat you."

Brian said, "I think I would like to have a friend. I think I'm a better person than a few months ago. At least, I feel that I'm more likeable. I like the feelings that I have. If your partners add to that, then I am all for it."

I said, "Stargazer, do you have a friend for Brian?"

Stargazer's voice spoke saying, "Yes, Radiantbeam would like a partner and is here with me. He likes Brian. Radiantbeam, please show yourself."

"Hello, Brian. I am Radiantbeam. I would like to partner with you." The light shown was a warm yellow glow with flicks of red.

Brian said, "Radiantbeam, I am glad to meet you. Let's be partners." The light winked out and Brian sat back in his chair suddenly. Tears came to his eyes. He said, "Radiantbeam, thank you. I feel wonderful and, uh, brighter." He looked at us and said, "Thank you, both of you. This is a wonderful gift you have bestowed. I will try to be wise and deserving of your trust and of Radiantbeam's presence in my life."

We finished our lunches with a glow surrounding us. Brian was just standing to leave when Ellen knocked on the door jam. "Missus Lisa, your one o'clock appointment is here."

Lisa nodded. "Thank you, Ellen. Please tell him I will be with him in a moment." She gave Brian a hug and said, "We enjoyed lunch with you. Maybe this Sunday, you and Jenna will join us for lunch after church?"

"It would be my pleasure. I will be sure to leave my idiot self at home this time." We all laughed and he and I shook hands as he left. His step was lighter and more confident when he left.

Lisa's appointment was with a potential vendor. Olsen's had sold us but not lately. Janet had referred them to Lisa to talk with them. We were met by three men. The salesman for us, Joe Manners, a nice middle-aged man, the sales manager, Ed Barfield, a little bit older and heavy set, and the president of Olsen's, Greg Thurman, a young man in his mid-thirties were each introduced to Lisa and me by Joe. We shook hands all around waving them into seats. Lisa sat at the table with them while I sat at our desk ostensibly working on some paperwork.

Lisa said, "Joe, you requested this meeting. Janet doesn't buy from you and you pressed her. Our problems with your company are getting what we order on time. Unless we can have some confidence those issues will be cured, we will not be ordering from you. CME is a very different company than McNamara. We have developed a reputation for a quality product delivered on time and at or better than specification. We expect our vendors to do the same. We pay our bills promptly. We have ordered from you twice. One order shipped late. The other order shipped late and included wrong items. Janet came to me and apologized for using your company. We had to rush in both instances to get the right materials in time to prevent us from shipping late. Angela tells me that, though we marked up the second order's bill of lading thoroughly and called requesting a corrected invoice, she was harassed by your collections people when we refused to pay without a corrected invoice because the pricing didn't match what we actually received.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.