Kate - Cover

Kate

Copyright© 2013 by Kaffir

Chapter 15

They spent a quiet, happy Wednesday basking in each other's love for the other. Katrina received an outpatient's appointment for the Friday week to have her plaster removed. She also gave her notice for the flat. In the evening Andrew read to her.

Andrew was all for going out to find things for her for lunch on Thursday, Friday and Saturday but Katrina would not hear of it.

"There's a Tesco just round the corner," she said, "and with soon no rent to pay plus saving on petrol while my arm's in plaster I can afford to buy myself a snack lunch."

Sunday lunch was a very happy occasion. Edwina had persuaded Nigel to bring his family and there was much handshaking, hugs and kisses. Petra wanted to know whether she and Ned could call Andrew Uncle Andrew and jigged about in happy excitement when told they could. Both had been practising their headstands and had to show him how good they had become. He set them a new goal by walking on his hands. They also agitated to go and ride the alpacas but Edwina held that off until after lunch.

Andrew had got to know Tamsin quite well the previous weekend and had liked her very much. This Sunday he and Nigel got to know each other properly. They had similar sporting interests and they enjoyed each other's sense of humour. Katrina was thrilled that they got on so well together.

When they got home Andrew took her hands and smiled at her. "Now I know why I got such short shrift when I called you Kate," he said softly.

Katrina looked down and blushed.

"And I completely understand why," he went on.

She looked up at him again almost timidly.

"I'm not going to trespass on either of your feelings," he continued, "because you are my Katrina, my one and only and best loved Katrina.

He kissed her forehead, then the tip of her nose before tilting her head back and gently kissing her lips.

"My special, darling Katrina."

Her arms went round him and she buried her face in his chest. He was surprised at the strength of her hug. At length she released him and looked up, her eyes shining with tears and happiness.

"I love you too, my Andrew," she whispered, "with all my heart, with all my mind and with all my strength."

He smiled. "We've just had a demonstration of that. I don't think you broke any ribs but jolly nearly."

She bumped his chest with her forehead. "I've said it before but I'll say it again: you are a very cheeky man."

"Hmm," mused Andrew and gently squeezed her bottom. He swept her up and, carrying her to the sofa, sat down with her on his knee. "Time, I suggest, to kiss and make up."

He suited the action to the words and she responded enthusiastically. They were never more than two inches apart for the rest of the evening.

It was not until the following Friday that a reply to Katrina's letter arrived. She read it and handed it to Andrew without a word. It read:

My dearest Katherine,

It was a happy surprise to hear from you after so long and to learn your wonderful news. I am delighted for you and your husband to be and wish you both every happiness.

I'm sad to say that your father does not share my feelings. He still feels strongly that you and Nigel sinned grievously and that we were right to 'excommunicate' you. I no longer do. It is better to forgive and to leave the final judgement to God. The Friends agree with me and I have quoted 'Judge not that ye be not judged' to him to no avail. He argues that the RC belief is that a sinful daughter should be expelled from the family and that we were extremely tolerant to ensure that your baby was safely delivered and to complete your schooling up to A Level.

I should love to come to your wedding but I cannot come without him. It would be deeply disloyal. However, I plan to write to the Abbot at Ampleforth in the hope that he might be prepared to intervene. Please pray for us.

Please also keep in touch with me. I would love to have a photo of you both if nothing else.

Please forgive us for the way we treated you.

Your loving mother.

Andrew handed the latter back and met her eyes. "That's so sad," he said gently.

Katrina nodded. What do we do? What can we do?"

"Certainly not drive a wedge between them."

She nodded again.

"Send her a photo of us and pray for them as she asked."

"What if Father sees it?"

"I imagine she'll take good care that he doesn't until she may decide to use it as a persuader."

"Ouch!"

"Ouch indeed but she knows better than anyone whether it might work or not or what his reaction might be. Getting the abbot involved is quite an idea."

Katrina nodded once more. "It might well work but on the other hand he can be a complete mule."

Andrew smiled wryly. "Clearly. Darling, write to her and tomorrow we'll take a photo and post it to her."

"Will you help me again?"

"Of course I will, you silly girl."

She smiled for the first time since the letter arrived. "I love you."

"Same to you with brass knobs on! Cheer up, my sweet love. You've lived without them for the last fifteen years so you can go on living without them."

"It's all very well for you to say that. You were the one that suggested trying for a reconciliation and persuaded me to write in the first place."

"Guilty but you have already achieved a partial reconciliation and the abbot or your mother's persistence may yet win a total reconciliation."

"Bloomin' barrister and don't you dare say 'we're usually right'."

"Wouldn't dream of it."

She snorted. Andrew was delighted.

"And don't attempt to biff me with your armour-plated arm."

"I wouldn't dream of it, you insufferable man."

"Giss a kiss."

She growled and then launched herself into his arms. "You are impossible," she spat.

"And irresistible."

"Ooh!" She kissed him fiercely.

After changing out of their office clothes into dressing-gowns, which took them rather longer than expected, they sat down at the kitchen table with a drink and Andrew's laptop. After two drinks and some interruptions to get supper on the go they produced the following:

Dearest Mother,

It was both a joy and a disappointment to receive your letter, a joy to hear from you and a disappointment that Father does not share your views. We both hope very much that you can bring him round or indeed that the Abbot of Ampleforth can. That is a brilliant idea. We will hold off fixing a date in the meanwhile. As you may have gathered from the address at the top of both letters I am living at Andrew's house so a little delay in being formally joined together is not a worry.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.