A Reluctant Hero - Cover

A Reluctant Hero

Copyright© 2013 by Douglas Fox

Chapter 7

November 24th, 11:30 pm, Dahlstrom House in Loomis, WA

"Grandma ... grandma ... we're back," a tall, slim teen announced as he burst in the front door of the house. He stopped short when he saw Josh and Molly sitting on the couch in the living room. "Where's my..." he stammered before Mrs. Dahlstrom appeared from the kitchen.

"I'm glad you got home safe and sound, Justin," Mrs. Dahlstrom announced as she gave the six foot tall, shaggy haired teen a hug.

"Who are... ?"

"These are our guests," Mrs. Dahlstrom as her grandson shut the front door. "I'd like to introduce you to Joshua Warner and Molly Lawrence."

"Nice to meet you," Josh and Molly chimed in unison.

"This is my grandson, Justin," Mrs. Dahlstrom explained.

"Why are they..." the teen protested.

"Shush!" Mrs. Dahlstrom insisted. "Get your snowy boots off and take off your coat. I'll make you some hot chocolate."

"But..."

"No buts!" Mrs. Dahlstrom insisted. "I'll explain about our visitors after your dad and Junior get back. Will they be long?"

"Shouldn't be, Grandma," Justin answered. "They want to mess up our tire tracks so the chinks don't know we put the livestock up in the hills. They were almost done when they sent me ahead."

Justin shed his hat and coat, took off his wet boots and followed his grandmother out to the kitchen, leaving Josh and Molly alone again. Grandmother and grandson were returning to the living room when the door opened again. A man in his mid-forties stepped inside, followed by a slightly taller, more filled out version of Justin Dahlstrom, sporting a few days' growth of whiskers. Justin, at thirteen, still had a baby-smooth face.

Mrs. Dahlstrom introduced Josh and Molly to her son, John, and her sixteen-year-old grandson, 'Junior, ' more properly John, Junior.

"Our visitors have traipsed the whole way over the Cascades from Sedro-Wooley," Mrs. Dahlstrom explained when all the introductions were completed. "Joshua is the hero they're going on about on the radio. He has been reporting about the chinamen's airplanes that fly over every day. He was the one who brought in our Air Force to shoot down those cargo planes a few days ago."

"That was very helpful to us," John Dahlstrom said.

"I'm really not a hero," Josh protested. "I'm just a soldier trying to do his duty and get back to safety."

"Anyone who allows our fliers to shoot down a couple thousand Chinese troops is a hero in my books," John said.

"You're really him?" Justin exclaimed. "You were calling in our pilots?" Junior added excitedly.

Josh patiently narrated the story of how he and Molly escaped Sedro-Wooley, trekked through the mountains, helped U. S. forces with their observations and made their way to the Dahlstrom homestead. Junior and Justin interrupted repeatedly with questions while Josh told their tale.

When he finished, Mrs. Dahlstrom announced, "John, I need you to drive these two down to Anna and Bob's house tonight while it is still dark. Molly needs to get back to her family. Joshua needs to get back to his army unit so he can help remove all these ... these ... damnable chinamen!"

"Grandma!" Justin teased. "Momma's gonna wash your mouth out with soap, if you're not careful."

"I DON'T like these chinamen!" Mrs. Dahlstrom snapped. "Not one bit! They can all just go back to China and let us in peace."

"I'll be happy to drive these two down to Anna's," John agreed. "Bob will take good care of them and get them across the river. He's got contacts with people with boats."

Josh and Molly loaded up everything while John walked back to the farm to get his pickup truck. Mrs. Dahlstrom insisted on sending them with venison sticks, venison jerky, crackers, peanut butter and some of her homemade gooseberry jam. The pair were going to eat well for a couple days, once they got back to hiking.

John Dahlstrom pulled up in front of his mother's house in an extended cab Ford F-350. Josh and Molly thanked Mrs. Dahlstrom, Junior and Justin for their hospitality and help before loading their packs in the back of the pickup. Josh and Molly gave Mrs. Dahlstrom and her grandsons a grateful wave as the truck pulled away and headed east.

John Dahlstrom drove east through the tiny town of Loomis. He turned off his headlights when he reached the far side of the town. He drove slowly and carefully, to avoid being spotted by any Chinese patrols that might be on the road that night. A couple miles out of town a lit billboard advertised a campground on Spectacle Lake. They found the lake a couple minutes later.

The road followed the edge of the lake. The night was cloudy and moonless, but they could see it once their eyes adjusted to the darkness. The blackness of the lake extended for miles. This was probably a nice vacation or picnic spot ... in better times.

John Dahlstrom told them more about his family and background. John was the third of four children. His oldest brother, Edward (53), lived in San Francisco with his wife Jill. John's sister Mary was between him and Edward. Mary, age 49, was married to David Graham. They lived in Omak. No one in the family has heard anything from David or Mary since the Chinese parachuted into eastern Washington State.

John was forty-five years old. He took over the ranch from his father since Edward had no interest in ranching. John was taking Josh and Molly to his younger sister's house. Anna Dahlstrom married Bob Kelly six years ago. John's mother was certain her thirty-five year old high school librarian daughter was bound to be an old maid. Bob Kelly, the new science teacher at the high school, rescued Anna from that fate.

John considered Bob to be a bit shy around the ladies, but a good man, none the less. His shyness explained why he was still available at age 38 when he met Anna. The courtship lasted a year. The happy couple had three-year-old twin daughters, Emily and Erin. In addition to teaching chemistry, biology and physics at the high school, Bob was active as a volunteer fireman with the Toncaset Fire Company and worked with the county's emergency management department.

John pointed out Whitestone Lake a couple miles after they passed the end of Spectacle Lake. Josh could just make out hills on the far side of the river as they passed the end of Whitestone Lake.

"The Chinese have guard posts at every bridge over the Okanogan River," John explained as he drove. "Bob has lots of contacts and should be able to find a way to smuggle you across the river."

"That's good to hear," Josh agreed.

"Another damn river!" Molly added. "I am so sick of crossing rivers. Will it ever end?"

"We won't have any more trouble with rivers, once we get to American held territory," Josh replied.

"My brother-in-law will do fine getting you two across the Okanogan," John promised. "No problem at all."

"That's a relief," Josh said. "I appreciate all the risks you are taking for us."

John turned off the main road before they reached the river and headed north. Half a mile later he pulled into a driveway opposite a large orchard. "Let's hustle," John instructed. "Get your packs inside quickly. We never know who is watching."

Josh and Molly grabbed their gear from the back of the truck and followed John. The door swung open before they reached the stoop. John led them inside. A man, presumably brother-in-law Bob, slammed the door shut quickly when they were inside. John greeted his sister with a hug.

"Sis!"

"Johnny!" Anna Kelly replied as he gave her older brother a hug. Anna Kelly was about 5'-5" tall, an inch or so shorter than Molly. She was well built for a forty-one year old lady. Anna wore her dark brown hair short. Altogether she was quite attractive – for a middle-aged mother of two.

John introduced Josh and Molly to Bob and Anna Kelly. Bob Kelly was shorter than John Dahlstrom or Josh Warner, probably around 5'-10" tall. His thinning brown hair was short and neatly trimmed.

"Carrying those packs looks uncomfortable," Bob offered. "Why don't you drop them and come sit down in the living room."

"Thank you, sir," Josh replied as he put down his pack and leaned it against the foyer wall. Molly started pulling hers off too.

"Would you like some coffee, Johnny?" Anna asked. "How about the rest of you? I can get a pot started. Josh accepted the offer of coffee. Molly asked for tea, which Anna was happy to provide.

"I have to hit the road, Sis," John answered. "Bob, do you know if any chink patrols are on the road tonight?"

"I'll call down to Tonasket and find out," Bob answered. He disappeared for a minute to call while his wife prepared drinks for their guests. Bob had a smile on his face when he returned. "Larry reports no patrols came north through town tonight. You shouldn't be noticeable to the group over on the Ellisforde bridge as long as you keep the speed down and wait to turn on your lights until you get to Whitestone Lake."

"Excellent!" John answered before turning to Josh and Molly. "Good luck from here. Keep up the good work, Josh. Do whatever you can to help get these Chinese out of our country."

"I'll do my best, John," Josh promised.

"Thank you for all your help," Molly added. John gave his sister a good bye hug before heading back to Loomis.

Josh and Molly narrated their adventures over the past three weeks as they drank their coffee or tea. They spent half an hour relating their hike across the Cascades. Bob glanced at the clock as the two finished their tale. It was 2:15 in the morning.

"I'm sure the two of you are exhausted," Bob said. "We have one guest bedroom. One of you..."

"I can sleep on the floor or on the couch," Josh offered, interrupting Bob. Josh knew after their fight yesterday that he would NOT be sharing a bed with Molly.

"Not the floor," Anna insisted. "You'll wake up stiff as can be. I'll get some sheets, pillows and a blanket. The couch will be more comfortable." Josh laughed.

"I've been sleeping on hard, rocky ground for three months," Josh said. "I have a sleeping pad and bag." Josh laughed again. "Sleeping on a warm, level floor with no rocks sticking me in the back sounds luxurious."

"The sheets, pillows and blanket won't be any trouble," Anna replied. "Are you sure about the floor?"

"It'll be fine," Josh responded.

"Let's get everyone to bed," Bob said. "I'm sure you've had a long, hard day." Bob and Anna took Molly upstairs to the guest room while Josh settled down on the living room floor. It took Josh no time at all to fall asleep after he lay down.

--oooOooo--

"Who's dis?" Erin Kelly asked in her high pitched, three year old voice.

"Don't know," Emily, her twin sister answered. "Turn on cartoons."

Josh awoke with a start to the sound of a firecracker exploding on TV. It was daylight in the living room. He rolled over to find two of the cutest three-year-olds mesmerized by a Tom and Jerry cartoon on the TV. "Hi there. You must be Emily and Erin."

"Yeah," Emily answered.

"I'm Erin," her sister added. "Who are you?"

"I'm Josh Warner," Josh answered. "I'm a soldier your dad and grandma are helping out. I hiked across the mountains to get away from the Chinese."

"Oh, OK," both twins agreed without further questions. Josh grabbed his pants and slid them on inside his sleeping bag. Three year olds didn't need to see a strange man dressed only in boxers first thing in the morning. Josh grabbed his shower gear from his pack and headed upstairs to the bathroom Bob showed him last night. Josh came downstairs again when he finished cleaning up for the day. He heard someone banging pots or pans in the kitchen. The smell of fresh coffee and cooking beef wafted into the hallway. Josh followed the smell into the kitchen.

"Good morning," Anna Kelly said pleasantly. "I hope the girls didn't wake you too early."

"They were fine, Mrs. Kelly," Josh answered.

"We go by Anna and Bob, Josh," Anna Kelly replied. "We don't stand on formality around here."

"Habit from the military, ma'am ... er, Anna," Josh answered. "Your daughters are very cute."

"They just love the Cartoon Network," Anna said.

"They were fine," Josh said. "I watched it when I was young too."

"I hope you're ready for a hearty breakfast," Anna commented. "Johnny keeps our freezer well filled with meat. I thought you and your girlfriend might enjoy steak and eggs after weeks of eating freeze dried food up in the mountains."

"Steak and eggs sounds really good," Josh agreed.

"Steak?" Molly chimed in as she wandered into the kitchen. "It's been too long since I had anything like that."

Josh noticed Molly looked freshly showered. He grabbed a cup of coffee before heading upstairs to shower. Josh felt almost human again when he came downstairs fifteen minutes later. Bob was downstairs when Josh returned. The twins joined their family in the kitchen for breakfast.

The steak, fried eggs, and English muffins with huckleberry jam were excellent. The twins politely asked to be excused when they finished eating. They dashed off to watch more cartoons while Anna, Bob and Josh enjoyed more coffee. Anna made tea for Molly.

"Well, I guess I should get started finding the two of you a way across the Okanogan," Bob commented after they enjoyed their coffee for a few minutes.

"Anything we can do to help?" Josh asked.

"No, I don't think so," Bob answered. "You two should rest up and relax. From what you've told me, you've had a hard few weeks."

"Thank you," Molly said. "A rest would be very nice."

"Thank you for taking us in and helping us," Josh added.

"Josh, I should be thanking you," Bob replied. "You have been risking your life for months to try to protect us from the Chinese. You deserve all the help Anna and I can give you. It's just the right thing to do."

"It's just my job," Josh answered modestly.

"I'm going to get on the phone and track down a way to get you to the other side of the river and on your way to safety," Bob said.

Josh and Molly relaxed in the living room while Bob worked the phone. Both were close enough in age to kids to enjoy the cartoons that Erin and Emily were watching. Bob called Josh and Molly back to the kitchen an hour and a half later.

"It took me longer to track down a boat than I expected," Bob announced. "I found out the Chinese have been collecting boats up and down the river. Every contact I have that lives along the river had their boats confiscated. I found a buddy on the east end of Tonasket who is into white canoeing and kayaking. The Chinese took his good boats he had in the back yard, but haven't found out about his old boats in the garage ... yet. He's willing to help us out."

"That's good," Josh said.

"I will drive over to his house after lunch today and check out the condition of these boats," Bob explained. "Mike told they haven't been in the water in years."

"You can drive across the river?" Josh asked.

"Why don't you just take us along when you go over the river to Tonasket?" Molly added. "That sounds a whole lot simpler than hauling boats back here and having us paddle across the river."

"It's not that simple," Bob cautioned. "The Chinese issued IDs to all the residents. The two of you will be arrested if you show up at one of the bridge check points."

"Couldn't you hide us in the car and take us across that way?" Molly asked.

"No, the guards at the check points have infrared imaging," Bob answered. "They'll spot your heat signature immediately, regardless of how well I hide you. Boats are the best way across."

Well ... OK," Molly allowed grudgingly. She headed back to the living room while Josh hung out in the kitchen with Bob and Anna. He'd had enough cartoons for the morning.

"Molly seems skittish about boats," Anna noted. "Is she afraid of the water? Can she swim?"

"I'm sure she can swim," Josh replied. "I suspect she's a little freaked out by our experience back in Sedro-Wooley the night we were trapped. We had another guy, a crewmate from my tank, with us when we tried to cross the Skagit River. He swam across the river to bring a rowboat back for Molly and me. The Chinese spotted him and laced him with machine gun fire – not more than 200 feet from where we were hiding."

"Oh my, that must have been traumatic for Molly," Anna responded.

"We have lots of river," Bob added. "The Chinese are too spread out to patrol all of it. We shouldn't have any problems like that tonight."

"That's good to know," Josh said. Bob headed off to prepare for the evening. Josh decided his down time was perfect for studying his maps and planning their route once they got clear of Tonasket.

The FDR Lake and Kettle River proved to be the deciding factor for their route in the near future. The lake extended from the Coulee Dam forty miles south of Omak northeast almost to the Canadian border. Josh found three crossings of the lake/river – the dam, a bridge at I-395 and a couple bridges at Northport, a couple miles south of the border. There was no way Josh and Molly could hike south through Omak and onto the Coulee Dam without getting caught by the Chinese. The Chinese most likely had troops right at the dam securing it now.

Josh and Molly would need to head northeast again into the hills and away from civilization to reach Northport. The maps showed the hills were bare. Josh expected they would be similar to Pickens Mountain that he could see out Anna's kitchen window. Josh and Molly were going to need to hike at night and rest and hide during the day if they were going to avoid detection.

Bob was gone most of the afternoon, scouting out his friend's boat and planning the river crossing. He returned home as Anna started supper. "Any problems at the bridge?" she asked as he stepped into the kitchen.

"Routine," Bob answered. "Checked my ID, searched the car, the usual."

"My heart is in my throat every time you go out for one of these missions," Anna said.

"They are necessary, honey," Bob answered as he gave her a hug. "We can't passively sit by while the Chinese enslave us. We have to resist."

"My head understands that," Anna replied. "My heart is still going a mile a minute while you're away and at risk."

"I am careful," Bob insisted. "I will be fine." Bob turned to face Josh. "Everything is set for tonight. Mike's canoe is old and patched, but it will stay afloat long enough to get you, Molly and your gear across the river tonight. I scouted out a crossing spot on the way to Mike's house. The river is narrower and the spot is ¾ mile south of the Ellisforde bridge. It is out of sight of the guards at the bridge. Both banks have some trees and brush for cover. It should be a good spot for the crossing."

"That's sounds promising," Josh agreed.

"What sounds promising?" Molly asked as she entered the kitchen to hear what was up. Bob repeated what he told Josh.

"When is it going to happen?" Josh asked. "I hope we're doing this after dark."

"Of course," Bob agreed. "Mike will bring his canoe up to his side of the river and paddle across to meet us. We agreed to do the crossing at midnight tonight."

"That's sounds good, Bob," Josh said. He turned to Molly. "Do an inventory of the food you have in your pack. We need to make sure we have enough to get us to Northport. It's ninety-five miles, as the crow flies. I figure we will need a minimum of two weeks of rations to get us there."

"Bob and I will help any way we can, if you're short, Josh," Anna offered. Bob agreed.

Josh and Molly got to work inventorying food, checking gear and preparing for weeks hiking in the cold eastern Washington winter as they trekked east through the hills and mountains. Anna was able to add some food items to their larder to help them reach Northport.

Josh called in to the Air Force Search and Rescue Command to let them know where they were and give a report of what they observed in Loomis and on their way to Bob and Anna's house the previous night. The captain Josh talked with said he thought the intel would be valuable to the civil affairs people. Josh's report was the first word that had gotten out of the Loomis/Tonasket area since the Chinese paratroopers landed.

Anna prepared a nice spaghetti dinner with garlic bread and a fresh salad. Molly hadn't had a salad in weeks. Josh hadn't eaten anything green and leafy since a dinner at the rest center south of Sedro-Wooley where his unit reorganized and rested after the Battle of Border. The salad was great. They finished dinner off with ice cream – also great.

Josh and Molly waited nervously as the evening passed slowly. They were gathering things together around 11:00 pm for the half mile hike across the fields behind Bob's and Anna's house down to the river when the phone rang. Bob answered it immediately.

"Phil?" Bob said as he listened. He nodded his head a couple times. "Does Mike know about this?" He listened briefly before hanging up the phone. "The crossing is off tonight," Bob commented before dialing the phone again.

"Mike, it's Bob," Bob explained after the call was answered. "The Chinese are out early and too active tonight. We need to abort. They have patrols rolling up the roads on both sides of the river. Get your canoe away and button up for the night. Hopefully we can try again tomorrow night."

Bob turned to Josh and Molly. "I guess you figured out that conversation. The Chinese have half a dozen Humvees loaded with troops heading up the river valley this evening. It would be suicidal to be outside tonight. I guess you'll have to stay as our guests a little longer."

"We appreciate your hospitality and help," Josh said. Molly seconded Josh's thanks. Molly headed upstairs to the guest room again. Josh bedded down on the floor in the living room.

--oooOooo--

Molly and Josh rested and waited at Anna and Bob's house through a second, tense day. The Chinese patrols had been active overnight but pulled back south to Omak during the day. Josh and Molly played some games with Erin and Emily to relieve the tension a little. Bob monitored the Chinese by phone.

Josh, Molly and the Kelly family caught the war news on the radio over lunch. Things were not going better for the United State and Canada since Josh's brigade combat team was decimated three weeks ago. The news anchor reported that Redmond fell to the Chinese yesterday. The governor ordered the immediate evacuation of all civilians in the western and central portions of Washington.

The news hit Josh hard. Redmond! That was halfway between Sedro-Wooley and his home in Olympia. Where was his family? Were they alright? Josh decided to try to call his parents. His satellite phone was fully charged. He could recharge it that afternoon to replace any power he used for the call home.

Josh dialed his home number. The phone service reported the number was not in service. He dialed his dad's cell phone next. It went to voice mail after reporting that the phone was unavailable.

"Hey, Dad, this is Josh," Josh explained in the message. "Molly and I are hiding out with a family near Tonasket for a couple days. We made it through the mountains safely. The locals are going to help us cross the next river and then we're hiking east until we reach safety. I hope you, Mom, Laura and Jake are OK. I hear you're evacuating. Good luck. Love you all."

"That's a nice thing to do," Molly commented when she overheard Josh's message. "Would it be alright if I tried to get a message to my parents?"

"Sure, that would be fine," Josh agreed. He handed the phone to Molly. She didn't do as well. Both of her parents' cell phones were out of service. She didn't get an opportunity to leave them voice mail.

Bob kept in touch with Mike throughout the day. Everything looked good for them to tackle crossing the Okanigan that night. Anna fed Josh and Molly a nice supper. The pair waited nervously through the evening, checking equipment and waiting for a phone call to postpone their escape. None came. Bob called his Tonasket contacts at 10:30 pm. There were no signs of Chinese patrols coming north from Omak that evening. Mike called to confirm his departure around 10:40 pm.

Bob led Josh and Molly out the back of the house and headed east through the fields. The overcast skies from earlier in the day were breaking up. It was a dark, moonless night, which slowed their progress for a few minutes until their eyes adjusted to the darkness. The three managed the third of a mile to the river without falling or twisting any ankles.

Josh judged the black river was about 400 feet wide. It flowed quietly south past them. The banks were low and sloping, so Bob, Molly and Josh easily climbed down to the water's edge. The three peered across, waiting for Mike to appear with the canoe.

Molly was the first to hear Mike canoeing quietly downstream towards them. She tapped Bob and Josh on their shoulders and pointed. It took Mike a minute to paddle down and reach them. Bob steadied the canoe as Mike hopped out and waded ashore.

"What happened?" Bob demanded. "I expected you to follow the trail across from us."

"I had a snag," Mike reported. "That gate you said would be unlocked? It wasn't. I couldn't get the canoe up and over the fence, so I drove upriver and parked at the junk yard. I didn't have any problems getting the canoe launched from there."

"OK ... I guess," Bob replied. "You're sure you are out of sight of the bridge?"

"It was fine," Mike promised.

"Mike, this is Corporal Joshua Warner and Molly Lawrence," Bob said as he directed Mike's attention to the others. Mike shook hands with Molly and Josh. "This is Mike Dixon, a good friend and fellow teacher."

"Let's get this going," Mike said quickly when introduction were done. "Molly, let's get you and the packs across on the first trip. I'll come back for Josh when you're across and safe."

"That sounds like a plan," Bob agreed. Bob helped Mike and Josh load the packs into the center of the canoe and then helped Molly into the bow. Bob pushed the canoe off when Mike was in his stern seat. Mike paddled the pair up the river, staying close to the west bank. They disappeared from sight.

Bob and Josh waited about ten minutes for Mike to return. Mike beached the canoe bow first to make it easier for Josh to climb in.

"Thanks so much for all your help," Josh commented as he climbed in. "I don't know how I can repay you, Anna and the rest of your family for sheltering Molly and me for the past few days. Thank you."

"Get back to the army and get these damned Chinese out of our country," Bob answered. "That will be all the thanks I need."

"I'll do it," Josh agreed as Bob pushed the canoe into the river. Josh grabbed a paddle and turned back towards Mike. "Which side, Mike?"

"Port," Mike answered. Josh dipped his paddle into the water on the left side before Mike even realized he meant to tell his novice passenger 'left side'. Mike watched Josh paddle a few strokes.

"You've done this before, haven't you?" Mike asked.

"Canoeing Merit Badge as a Boy Scout," Josh answered quietly. Mike chuckled.

"I was a Boy Scout too," Mike answered before chuckling more. "Still am, actually. Last summer was my fifteenth season on staff at Camp Bonaparte."

"I did four summers at Camp Hahobas when I was younger," Josh commented.

The pair paddled a couple minutes. Josh could see the river bending towards the west ahead when Mike called out, "Sweep." Josh stretched out with the next stroke and pushed the bow to the starboard. He felt Mike's powerful J-stroke turn the canoe until they were headed directly for the far bank. A dozen strokes later the bow of the canoe crunched into the sandy bank. Josh hopped out and steadied the canoe while Mike climbed out.

Both men froze when they spotted a flashlight beam probing the darkness in front of them. The beam swept along the shoreline until it stopped on Josh and Mike.

"Jiùmìng a! M?iguó rén," an alarmed voice shouted. [Help! Americans... ]

Josh swung his M-16 down from his shoulder and pointed it at the frantic man shining his light on them. "Jiùmìng a!" Josh loosed a short burst of bullets at the Chinese soldier, who collapsed to the ground. His flashlight rolled down the bank and stopped a couple feet from Josh.

Combat veteran that he was, Josh dropped prone on the ground, searching the darkness for the next threat. Mike stood motionless, stunned at the sudden violence. A pistol barked and flashed ahead. A man screamed and two quick shots followed in succession.

"Josh?" Molly's voice called tremulously from the darkness ahead. "Josh?"

"Are you OK, Molly?" Josh called back. "Do you see any more Chinese?"

"No, just this one here," Molly answered.

Josh hopped up and grabbed Mike by the shoulder. "Get us to the fucking truck ... NOW!"

"Um ... um ... yeah..." Mike stuttered. He followed Josh up the bank and to the fence surrounding a junk yard.

"Molly?" Josh called. She emerged from a clump of bushes. A dying Chinese soldier lay at the back corner of the fence, not more than ten feet from Molly's hiding place. "Grab your pack and let's hustle."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.