There and Back - Cover

There and Back

Copyright© 2013 by Aquea

Chapter 126: Warden Weirdness

“I can’t sense Seranni.” Alim’s voice sounded confused.

Rolan was shaking his head, clearly in agreement with the inability to sense the elf. I restrained myself from making the same movement; Rolan and Alim weren’t supposed to know I could sense the taint at all. I was guessing by the slightly ill-looking expressions on my husband’s and brother’s faces that they couldn’t feel her either.

The blond elf continued to flop around, her seizure ongoing. A loud thump from her booted foot hitting the floor brought us all back, leaping into action.

“Alim, do what you can to heal Seranni. Rolan, take Sigrun up to an empty room to rest. Do not speak to anyone – not one person, you hear? – and stay with Sigrun until we send for you.” My brother started barking orders, and we all leapt to obey. “Sierra, can you get Anders? Quietly. And send a servant to Sigrun’s room with some food – she’ll need it when she wakes.”

I nodded and bolted out of the room, Rolan right behind me with the unconscious dwarf in his arms. I peeled off to the right to get Anders from the dining room while the former templar headed up the nearest stairs.

I found one of the Vigil’s servants laying out food in the dining room, and asked her to arrange to send up two Warden-sized meals, a pint of ale, and a skin of fresh water to Sigrun’s room, before weaving my way through the mass of Wardens and Legionnaires looking for Anders. Trevian caught my eye as I passed; I gave him a nod, and he smiled, confirming what I’d guessed – he knew not everyone survived becoming a Warden, and he had been worried. Given the mutual respect between Wardens and the Legion, it made sense he’d know, but still I was surprised.

I managed to avoid Velanna, who I spotted only for a moment, standing awkwardly in a corner brooding; I had no idea what to tell her, so I was glad to be able to put it off. I ran into Zevran, who’d been flirting outrageously with one of the Legionnaires, enjoying his blushing embarrassment; with a quick promise to tell him everything later, I asked the Antivan to go watch over Rolan and make sure no one else spoke to the former templar.

Finally I found Anders. He was in the middle of some story about a cat – probably the one possessed by a demon back at Kinloch, if the appreciative giggles were anything to go by – and I interrupted him, telling him I needed his help for something personal. Solona and Leli, standing nearby, giggled and raised their eyebrows at me; I returned their smiles automatically, but knew there was no chance I’d fooled Leliana, at least. _Not explaining this later is going to be just a thrill._

The mage followed me out of the dining room, bemused smile on his face, until he got to the room where Alim was pouring magic into Seranni, while Aedan and Alistair watched helplessly. Her flopping had stopped while I was gone, and now she just looked pale – pale as death, her breaths shallow and rasping.

Anders dropped to his knees beside Alim without a word and began one of his glowy diagnostic scans.

Alim gasped and let his healing stop, panting. “I’ve no idea if anything I did helped.” He and the healer held a brief, whispered conversation I couldn’t follow, something to do with life force and energy, and then Anders was the one healing the elf.

“So this is what I looked like?” I whispered, tucking myself between Alistair and Aedan.

My husband wrapped his arm around my shoulder while Aedan gripped my hand hard, eyes wide. “Worse, ” Alistair replied; I felt Aedan shudder. “You seized for longer, and when you were done, you were barely breathing at all.”

“So she should just wake up, and everything will be fine.”

“Except she’s not a Warden – not really. How do we even begin to explain this to the others? To her sister? What if you were just lucky, and she doesn’t wake up? A death we could explain to Velanna. She knew the risk. But this…is something else.” Aedan looked beyond freaked out. I squeezed his hand.

“I don’t understand. It made sense – sort of – for you, with the whole magic resistance, being from somewhere else thing. But this…” Alistair rubbed the bridge of his nose with his free hand.

I thought about it. What made Seranni different from anyone else? I couldn’t remember much about her from the game, other than that, as a ghoul, she actually kept her mind; I recalled thinking that was unusual for a ghoul, and blaming the Architect – after all, hadn’t he done something similar to Genevieve and her brother Bregan in ‘The Calling’?

The germ of an idea formed.

“What if…” I hesitated, thinking frantically. “I mean, the darkspawn don’t normally kidnap people, right? Unless they’re looking to make a new broodmother, which supposedly the Architect isn’t. It seemed strange he would keep her with him. Utha, it made sense – he could use her blood for research. Seranni wasn’t a Grey Warden – what would he need a random ghoul for? But, what if…what if there was something about her that was different? Maybe…the Architect targeted her for some reason? We know he can manipulate the taint…Perhaps she has some trait that makes her resist the taint? Maybe we both do? Maybe that’s why he wanted her, and that’s why no one can sense me. Maybe that’s why he sent me away.”

Aedan and Alistair were both staring at me, fear and horror written clearly across their faces as I talked my way through the random pieces of information that were slotting themselves into place in my mind. As I waited for a response, I suddenly realised it was much too quiet, and I could no longer feel Anders’ healing magic. I looked up to see the two mages staring at me, mouths agape. _And of course, they heard that. Nicely done, Sierra._ I could feel my face flushing under their scrutiny.

“You…you’re a Warden?” Anders was the first to recover, expression curious but guarded.

I sighed. “Yes. Sort of. I’m like her – I took the Joining, but no one can sense me.”

He stood, glancing critically between me and the elf, who now appeared to be resting easily. “But you have Warden abilities?” I hesitated, and he continued. “Of course you do. That’s why you can stand watch. It’s why you were on the list of those who could slay the Archdemon. And why you eat like the rest of us. I never put it all together, but it’s obvious, in retrospect. When did you Join? Why didn’t you tell us?”

“I’ll explain everything later, I promise. But first – is she okay?” I gestured at the elf laying at his feet.

“I’ve no idea, ” he replied, shrugging. “I’ll assume it’s a good thing the seizures stopped. I can’t find anything wrong to explain what’s happening, and healing made no difference. I think we’re just going to have to wait and see.”

Aedan sighed, tugging at his usually impeccable brown hair, which was becoming wilder by the minute. “What do we do next? The last thing we need is Weisshaupt learning we have Wardens who aren’t normal Wardens. Honestly, after our last meeting, they’ll say they have all the justification they need for kidnapping one of you. Both of you! And then they get two things they want – people to experiment on, and something to use as leverage to bring us back into the fold.”

Alim joined the conversation. “That’s why you didn’t tell anyone. You were afraid Weisshaupt would want you, to experiment on you.”

I nodded, glancing back and forth between Alim and Anders, suddenly afraid for my new, tenuous friendships. “You have to understand, it wasn’t that we didn’t trust you. We didn’t know we’d be separating from Weisshaupt. We had Riordan, Loghain, and Dougal to think about. We couldn’t know who would accidentally let things slip, and we didn’t want other people to have to lie for me.

“I didn’t want to spend the rest of my life as a lab rat in Weisshaupt like Fiona.” At their puzzled glances, I huffed in frustration. “Never mind. I just…”

Alistair interrupted me. “Fiona! Andraste’s flaming butt cheeks!” He slapped himself in the forehead dramatically.

“What?”

“I was just thinking…if there were two people who aren’t ‘normal’ Wardens, why aren’t there more? And then you said Fiona…”

I gasped. “Fiona’s taint is ‘gone’. What if it’s not? What if we’ve got it backward – he didn’t target us, he did something to us? We know he did something to Fiona that strangely accelerated her taint, leaving it ‘gone’ when it was over, and he did something to me too. It was his darkspawn that attacked Seranni.”

Aedan cleared his throat, looking at me and then pointedly at Alim. “We can speculate later – or better, catch the bastard and question him – but none of this helps us. What do we do with her? And there are a few too many people in on this secret for comfort now, not to mention too many who saw Seranni and know she was tainted.”

“I won’t tell anyone.” Anders smirked. “Who’d believe me anyway? And I have no desire to be ‘questioned’ by Weisshaupt. It’s Rolan you’ve got to worry about.”

“Fake her death?” Alim suggested. “Rolan isn’t here, and we can keep quiet – though I admit I have some questions.” He raised his eyebrow at me expectantly, and I sighed and nodded. “Send her off with her sister. I don’t know where; she can’t go back to her clan. But send her somewhere, and tell Rolan she didn’t make it.”

I looked at the elf anew in appreciation. “You’re crafty.” I looked back at Aedan. “We’d need to make a pyre, find a body to burn, and maybe fake Velanna having a fit and leaving. We could send her to Soldier’s Peak for now – I’m sure Avernus would be more than happy to meet someone else like me – and then send her on from there.”

“To where, though? She can’t stay at the Keep; we’re all going to relocate there eventually.” Alistair rubbed the back of his neck in frustration. “Too many people might recognise her. Maybe Lanaya? She owes us a favour.”

“I may have another idea for you, ” came a voice I wasn’t expecting to hear. When I glanced down, Seranni’s eyes were open, and she had raised a shaky arm over her head to block out the light. “Oh, ugh. That was awful.”

I dropped to my knees beside the elf, taking her hand and leaning over to cast a shadow over her no-doubt-tender eyes. “How are you feeling?”

“Terrible, I’m not going to lie. But given I couldn’t be sure I’d survive – and you all weren’t sure I’d ever wake – I’ll take it.”

I laughed. It was a sheer relief to see her awake and believe she would eventually recover. Holding her hand still, I pulled her to a sitting position; someone handed me a water skin, and she took it from me gratefully, chugging half the contents in one go.

“So you heard all that, then?” Aedan asked.

She nodded, still swishing the water through her mouth – trying to rinse out the taste, I guessed. _I remember that foul flavour._ “Think so. You guys can’t sense me, though you should be able to. She, ” the elf gestured at me, “is the same, there might be a third, and something called the Architect is to blame? Weisshaupt will have a fit if they find out. Also, something something about another world, though I’ve no idea what that means.”

I laughed and pushed myself to my feet, and Aedan helped me pull Seranni to hers, allowing her to settle on the nearby couch.

“Don’t worry about it.” I sighed and ran my hand through my tangled, curly hair. “And the Architect is the first talking darkspawn – he created the others by perverting the Joining ritual and making darkspawn drink Grey Warden blood. So you said you had an idea?”

She nodded. “The problem, as I see it, is that Weisshaupt will want to examine anyone who’s ‘different’. Right?” She waited for all of us to nod our confirmation. “So let them. I can’t go home, I can’t stay here – why shouldn’t I go to Weisshaupt?”

Aedan, Alistair, Alim, and Anders all reacted to that loudly, taking over each other, declaring reasons why she shouldn’t go; I just watched her, eyes wide with shock.

Seranni held up her hand. “I don’t have to tell them I’m not the only one. I won’t even mention this Fiona. I don’t think they’ll kill me, will they?”

Everyone looked at me. I shrugged helplessly. “They didn’t kill Fiona. She’s an elf, a Warden who the Architect did something to and somehow, her taint went away. That’s not to say they couldn’t – but I don’t know why they would. They learn more if you’re alive. But you don’t have to do this. Not for me.”

She smiled at me shyly. “You all saved me – from the darkspawn, then from the taint. I am a Grey Warden now, right? So I might as well be of use. Here, I’m a danger to you. I can’t go home. So I might as well go and see if I can help in some other way. You just have to promise to look after my sister.”

A lot more discussion on the subject ensued, but nothing anyone said could dissuade the elf from her self-appointed path. I couldn’t decide whether to be frightened for her, impressed by her, or worried about the implications for myself and the Grey Wardens in general. What if they tried to keep her against her will? What if they decided that vivisection _would_ provide more information than a live body? What if they went after Fiona, or she accidentally revealed my existence? I finally had to excuse myself, stepping outside and hyperventilating in the hallway.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.