There and Back - Cover

There and Back

Copyright© 2013 by Aquea

Chapter 51: Reunions

Gearing up in the morning was somewhat depressing, overall; no more beds, no more clean linens, no more bathing chambers with hot water on demand. And it may have been illusory, but I'd felt safe, relatively, in Denerim, while being back on the road was decidedly ... not. Not that being practically right under Loghain's nose was particularly risk-free, either, though. Whatever, at least there was a bed.

I sucked it up and pulled on my gear, breastplate now not rubbing awkwardly, repaired bracer finally not leaving me feeling lopsided, and I spent a moment thankful for Wade. The helmet was still going to drive me crazy, but at least it could wait until after breakfast. I helped Alistair gear up – the dragonbone was surprisingly light, compared to his old gear, but still awkward to do alone. It looked snazzy though, and I told him so. He grinned and blushed, as usual.

Everyone else was stumbling into the dining room with backpacks on just as we were, and we all indulged in one more well-cooked meal before finally donning helmets and setting off. With so few people out and about so early, we made it unmolested to the market district. We had split up the list of things to acquire, and planned to divide into two groups to get everything done quickly. Alistair and I ended up with Leliana accompanying us. For once, I actually carried my own backpack – all of the bags were largely empty since we'd sold our stash of junk, so mine had only my Earth clothes and gadgets.

The changes to the market district were noticeable immediately as we turned the corner and it came into view. The first was the general lack of mercenaries standing around doing nothing. There were a few small groups of armed men, but they actually appeared to be patrolling, sort of, and were generally better equipped than the ones I'd seen on previous visits. The only other armed or armoured people were alone, and seemed to be actually shopping, or personal guards for those who were. There definitely weren't any who seemed to be collecting money from their 'employers'.

The merchants seemed less jumpy than previously. Some were actually smiling, and none stared at us with the fear we'd seen earlier in the week. Sergeant Kylon was standing at the centre of the busy area, looking around with a satisfied expression, shouting orders to another man, who seemed to be sending runners and relaying orders to those on patrol. It was organised, quiet, and unobtrusive. There were even nobles wandering about shopping; I wondered if one of the pretty doll-like women was Habren Bryland, and if so, whether Zev – or Aedan – would pick her pockets. I grinned at the thought. I wanted to ask Alistair what was going on, but with helmets on and errands to run, I figured it would have to wait.

Leliana popped into the shoe store and the tailor's shop where she'd ordered me the gown, coming out with wrapped parcels tucked into her pack. We picked up some spices, some bread and cheese, some clothing changes for everyone – apparently Leli had ordered them a few days prior – and some cookies, for Sten. I stopped at a jewelry stand and bought Morrigan a gold necklace with a tear-drop shaped pendant of what might have been amethyst, and a small collection of beautiful coloured stones for Shale. It was cliché, but if it would help, I was willing. When we met back up with the others, Aedan had picked up some sort of amulet for Dariel, as well as food stuffs, and sharpening stones for our weapons. With packs full of supplies, we finally got ready to leave Denerim.

The gate was quite busy, with wagons, carriages, and plenty of people on foot, and we all stuck close together to avoid separation. My hand was firmly gripping Alistair's shoulder, as he took the lead parting the crowds and finding us a path out. Aedan's hand was on my shoulder in turn, until we were a few dozen yards outside the city, when I heard him mutter something unintelligible and let go. I turned in time to see him spin, dagger drawn and held to the throat of an armoured man in a full helmet, who had evidently been following us. Alistair had half-drawn his sword, I saw the glint of steel in Zevran's hands, and even Wynne had gripped her 'walking stick' in a threatening manner when the figure reached up nonchalantly and pulled off the helmet.

"I am pleased to see you remain vigilant. I surrender." He smirked.

It was almost comical as everyone drew in a sigh of relief at the sight of the dark-skinned, clean-shaven man of obvious Rivaini descent, and then chaos reigned as Alistair tried to hug him, Aedan scolded him for sneaking up on us, and everyone else just put away their weapons.

After a few minutes of nodding, vaguely, in Aedan's direction and clapping both Aedan and Alistair on the back in greeting, he finally turned to me and the rest of our party.

"Tomas." I smiled, though I knew no one could see it. He hugged me, and I chuckled. "It's good to see you again."

Greetings finally complete, he put his helmet back on and gestured to Aedan. "Mind if I follow you for a while? I'm assuming you have a camp somewhere, perhaps we can talk there?"

We all headed out, Aedan leading as we turned off the road to cut cross-country towards where Morrigan and the others waited. Before long, we were out of sight of the walls and the road, and we all stowed our helmets. I breathed a sigh of relief; full helms are stuffy. Alistair reached back to take my hand, and I saw Tomas notice it with a small smile. He told us, as we walked, that he had been scouting in the Wilds, but had yet to locate the Archdemon. The horde had been spreading, more slowly than he expected but still quickly enough to cause problems, and was threatening the southern edge of the Bannorn. The Wilds had been virtually swallowed by the Blight.

We updated him on finding the Dalish and securing their aid, killing Flemeth, and the ambush that brought us Dariel. He was introduced to Gorim, who vaguely recognised him from official Grey Warden visits in Orzammar years before. We didn't get into the details of why Gorim was with us, deciding to save that for back at camp, so we would only have to tell the story once.

I was smiling 'til my cheeks hurt; I was hand-in-hand with the man I loved, spending time with my brother, and my surrogate father, sister, and grandmother. I couldn't have been happier. I giggled and skipped as I walked, and everyone else's pleased expressions mirrored my own. We were all energetic, from having a rest the day before, and we made good time.

About halfway to the campsite, we noticed a suspiciously large bird flying overhead; in moments, Morrigan landed beside us and changed back to human form. It was a fascinating process to watch, as always; she shimmered and stretched, and suddenly there was a scantily-clad woman walking with us. She stepped up beside me, and I released Alistair's hand to pull her into a hug, which she tolerated impatiently.

I was surprised when she just kept walking with us; I'd have expected her to change back and wing off, preferring to be alone. When I said as much, she flushed slightly and looked away before replying, quietly enough that no one else could hear.

"I do not always wish to be alone. I have had enough solitude in the last week, and your company is preferable to that ... that ... cretin the Warden saddled us with."

"Oh, dear, has Dariel been pestering you?"

"He will not desist! Teach me, talk to me, tell me about your mother ... He makes the Warden look positively taciturn. I spent half of the past week alone in a tree, avoiding him. I had not realised what a benefit it was that you knew much about me prior to our first meeting, so I had fewer questions to answer."

I chuckled. "I'm not surprised. He looked a bit ... smitten, before we left. You can't blame him – you are a beautiful woman. And probably the only female apostate he's ever met. Possibly the only woman he ever talked to – all of his mercenary friends were male."

She sniffed. "It shows. He has no idea how to talk to a woman. I'd prefer being propositioned by the Crow again to his pathetic attempts at flirting."

I choked out laughter as Zevran, his timing impeccable as always, spoke up from behind us, where he'd apparently been listening. "I am certainly happy to oblige, oh beauteous Witch; Aedan has expanded his horizons once, I'm sure I could convince him to try it again..."

Morrigan looked both intrigued and disgusted, which made me laugh harder.

"Or perhaps I could just take the little elf under my wing, so to speak, and teach him a few things about how to more productively water a mature flower such as yourself, no?" He reached out as if to put his arm around her shoulders.

"Touch me again, Assassin, and we shall see whether you remain as effective in a fight with only one hand."

The two of them continued bickering, mostly good-naturedly, and I grinned and left them to it. Instead, I elbowed my way in between Aedan and Alistair, who were walking with Tomas.

"So is one of you going to tell me what the hell that was all about in the Market?"

Alistair flushed and looked away, while Aedan gave me his best innocent look. "Whatever are you talking about, dear sister?"

Tomas smirked, so even he was in on the joke, and I was annoyed. "You know damn well. All the mercenaries were gone, and the guards suddenly had patrols? You expect me to believe you had no part in that?"

Aedan smiled. "I don't. Alistair told you about the Blackstone Irregulars – we just helped them out a bit. We 'encouraged' some of the dumber, meaner mercs to go elsewhere, and the smarter ones we sent to the Irregulars or the guard for recruitment. Which reminds me." He fumbled in his pack for a moment, and handed me over two coin purses, followed by handing one larger one to Alistair and two more to Tomas. "We should split the coin in case someone gets robbed."

I looked into the top of one of the purses – it was filled to the brim with gold sovereigns. I quickly tied it shut again, putting one into my pack and sticking the other behind the little sash I wore as a belt. "Maker's Breath, Aedan, where did you get that much coin? What did you do?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.