Somewhere in Time - Pocket Watch - Cover

Somewhere in Time - Pocket Watch

Copyright© 2013 by MattHHelm

Chapter 22

We reluctantly stuck to the task of getting dressed. We descended to the first floor once that was done and made our way to the kitchen. We discovered that there was little food all over again. I told Mom to wait a minute and clicked the watch. I popped back in before she could turn away, my hands loaded down with plastic bags from the grocery store. I knew I'd gotten more than was necessary, but I had decided to leave the house stocked.

Mom started the bacon, while I scrambled up some eggs. I then mixed the pancake batter. Mom used the same pan for the eggs as the bacon, so the flavor of the grease was infused in the eggs. The griddle had warmed up in the meantime, and I spooned up the batter for the pancakes. I removed them once golden brown, and started a second, then a third batch. Mom had set the table, gotten the milk, OJ, and the real maple syrup out, and made everything else ready while these were cooking. I delivered the stack of pancakes to the table after shutting the griddle off. and making sure the stove was off as well.

I ate like a man possessed. It was GOOD, what can I say? Mom also ate with the hearty appetite gained by our living on a working cattle ranch in Texas during the 1870s. We cooked just enough, because I was bursting at the seams as I finished up the last pancake. I couldn't eat another bite. There was one piece of bacon left, but I couldn't even make a move for it. Mom got the honors and finished it off before pushing away from the table.

We were washing the dishes when I heard an air horn blast. The load was here. I ran to the front door, disabled the alarm, and flung the door open. A semi had backed up into the yard with the blocks. A forklift was mounted on the back. The driver got down and had me sign some paperwork. He then began unloading the cement and block pallets. I had him put them just off the drive in the back, between the garage and the house. I soon noticed that he needed to start a second row. A third row was almost complete before he was done. He got one more signature, loaded the forklift up, and then carefully pulled back out onto the street.

I walked around our purchases. I was glad I'd remembered to include forming lumber, rebar, and all the other necessary materials. I looked around for and found the spool of rope I'd picked up last. I slowly threaded the rope through the pallets until they were all connected by the rope. Only one time trip would be necessary this way. I went inside and called Mr. VanDam once this was done. I told him we were going out of town for a short trip, but that I wanted him to hire a contractor and get a twelve foot high brick wall built around the property. I wanted a security force to guard the place starting right now, and I wanted the top of the fence to have razor wire. I wanted remote cameras monitored by the security company and everything needed to be done yesterday.

I didn't tell him why, but those crooks made the decision for me. Oh, and they did make the national news when they were found, still bundled up in their car on the south lawn of the White House. They were charged with several federal crimes when their records were run, and were destined to spend the rest of their lives at Club Fed. Their original destination was the Jurassic period of North America, but I had a change of heart at the last moment. I think the Triceratops bearing down on the car did it. They were watching out the window and they all fainted.

I went out to the garage and filled a dozen Jerry cans with gas for the generator, and used the large wheel steel wagon to haul them over to the pallet with the generator and cement mixer. I carefully placed the cans on the pallet, and then transferred the wagon to another pallet, as well. It would come in handy at the ranch. We were ready once I got everything in the house locked up, including filling in the window well where the coal chute was so that it looked like a flower bed. We were changed back into our ranch clothing and I was wearing my firearms. I heard a car horn sound just as I was about to click the watch. Looking at Mom, I clicked the watch and took us into the twilight along with our Lowe's purchases.

An unmarked police car pulled in and stopped just then. A man dressed in a uniform opened the door for whoever was in the car. Both men went up to the door and rang the bell. They made the rounds of the house when no one answered. Finding no way in, and no one home, they got in the car and left. I released us from the twilight and told Mom I'd be right back. I went back into twilight and followed the car. It didn't go to the police station, but to the Federal Building. The man got out and the officer drove off. I followed him inside. He went up to the third floor and into an unmarked door. I found out this was the covert section of the CIA.

I chuckled. They must have talked to the three crooks and wanted to find out about me. Well, that was going to be impossible. I zipped back home. I helped Mom up onto one of the pallets of blocks. I then joined her and activated the watch once more. We were back in Texas. It was dark and no one saw us arrive. I jumped down and helped Mom off the pallet. We went inside and received a hearty greeting from the rest of the family. We were missed, even though we were gone only one day. I just happened to see Jackie nod to Mom as I was getting my welcoming kisses, and wondered what was going on.

Our Harvest Festival was going to be next Friday. Waite Phillips, my next door neighbor and famous Texas Ranger, not to mention time traveler (Author Note: Read A Trip to Waco, Book I), held an annual party to celebrate fall. Everyone in our neighborhood, and all the townspeople from Mexia, were invited. Special invitations went out to certain parties in Waco too. The women were busy getting ready. The men were also given chores to get ready. I managed to get Jesse to come over for half a day, and together with Sam, we managed to get all the Sakrete and other equipment under cover in the barn. I'd gotten plastic underlayment, and I used that to wrap the water sensitive materials, just in case.

I had a large crew of Mexican laborers digging the hole for the shelter. They would probably have it done by Friday afternoon, and bucking tradition and prejudice, I invited them to bring their senoras to the party. Pablo Sanchez, the crew leader, tried to decline, but I wouldn't have it. I finally extracted a maybe out of him. My wives got together with some of their wives who had accompanied them out to provide food. I knew they would be there.

Friday finally came. The hole was ready, and excitement was running high at all the ranches in Prairie Hill. The Monroe, Morgan, and Phillips clans were all there. Jesse and his wives, and I and mine, made up the core of the group. The townspeople made their way to the ranch. No visitor had too far to come since Prairie Hill was halfway between Mexia and Waco, and Phillips had so much room that everyone had space for their wagons. Many brought bedding and would spend the night before returning home in the morning.

Waite had butchered a couple of cows. A large javelina had been killed along with them, and was roasting in a pit. Chickens were also cooking and lots of potatoes and corn were on the menu. The townspeople didn't come empty-handed, as they brought their favorite dishes too. There were kids everywhere, and the Fall Festival was a huge success.

One of the favorite activities was the square dancing. The Episcopal minister from Waco was invited to come call the reels and squares. He was good and had a resounding voice. He had good practice from preaching fire and brimstone on Sundays. We were set up and waiting for the second reel to begin.

There was a scuffle in the next row, and I turned to see what was going on. It stopped, so I turned back. I was about to take Jackie's hand when I saw it. The red hair on the woman next to me was like a signature. My wives had somehow secreted Belinda in the group of visitors, and kept her presence a secret from me. I smiled and looked at my diminutive partner. A quick glance around, and I saw Lizzy clapping her hands, grinning from ear to ear, and pointing at me. Yep, the surprise was complete.

I refused to give my partner up for the rest of the night. We were swaying to the gentle tune of a violin late in the evening. Reverend Long got up on the platform and called for quiet. He began once the noise quieted down.

"You all know the families here. You respect them and call them friends. The will do anything in their power to help their neighbors. We accept some of their strange ways because of that. I was approached by several of your neighbors when I arrived today, ready to call the squares. A request was made to which I gladly accepted and am profoundly capable of performing."

"Friends, we are gathered here today to celebrate the harvest of our crops and the completion of another growing year. We felt the effects of the freezing frost that signals a dormant time of year yesterday, but we do have the opportunity to begin again in the spring. 'By the sweat of thy brow, ye shall toil all the days of your life.' So God told Adam when he was exiled from the Garden, but in his mercy, He included Eve to ease man's burden, or make it worse, depending on who and how well you chose."

That brought a laugh from the gathered assembly, and more than one man received a swat from the female next to him; probably for speaking out of turn.

Long continued. "Life here on the frontier is hard. One of our greatest blessings is our children who help us go on. We require a marriage before the birthing in order to maintain propriety. Those events, like this festival, are happy events. I won't mention the unhappy ones, for they have no place here."

I felt a hand take mine as he was talking. Looking left, I found Lizzy smiling up at me. My right hand was around Belinda's waist, so both were taken. I felt the touch on my shoulder and saw Jackie and Mom when I looked back. I then took a better look and found all my wives gathered around.

I heard Reverend Long say just then, "So to end today's festival help a new couple begin their life's journey together. Here before me stands the happy couple. They are surrounded by their friends as we prepare to join them in Holy Matrimony."

You could have knocked me over with a feather at that pronouncement. I looked at Belinda and she was blushing and smiling at me with star-struck eyes. Her head was slightly bobbing up and down. A quick look around confirmed it for me. Everyone in my family was also bobbing their heads, some more vigorously than others. It looked like a bobble-head convention.

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered together this day, to join this man and this woman in holy matrimony. Be there anyone here with valid reason why these two should not be wed, let them speak now or forever hold their peace." He waited, but no response was made. "Who gives this woman to this man?"

"Her mother and I do, Reverend." A man stepped forward with a diminutive redhead on his arm. I could tell that she was Belinda's mother in an instant.

Reverend Long thankfully didn't preach a sermon. Belinda was the newest Mrs. Appleby in a matter of minutes. There were plenty of congratulatory backslaps from the men and kisses from the women, including some from women I'd never met. Quite a few even went searching with their tongues. I did get a handshake from Belinda's father, and a very, very friendly kiss from her mother. Whew, it seemed like a warm up for the main event.

Lizzie came up with a twinkle in her eye. She pulled me down a little and whispered. "She'll keep you busy for a little while, at least until I have a chance to grow a bit more." She then gave me a searing kiss on the lips and ran off. Oh boy. I'm now sure that she will join her other sisters as a wife sooner rather than later.

Well, now that I had a new wife, I guess I'd better get to know her. Jackie and Tara had the same idea, as did the others too numerous to mention. I did a quick calculation and decided I needed a bigger bed. Well it was now or never. I gathered up my clan. I noticed Sam over in the corner of the barn. His wife, Conchita, had confronted him as he had been monopolizing the time of another short Mexican senorita. I later found out that it was Conchita's cousin Marguerita. I noticed Reverend Long had arrived and it looked like he was performing the ceremony again before we made it to the door.

I begged Peggy Sue's, Waite's queen's pardon about leaving early. She was very understanding. She stepped in close, her chest pressed into mine. and whispered, "Good luck. Do her good, and think of her needs first. She will love you forever if you make her come first!"

I blushed at receiving this advice from Peggy Sue, but I knew she was telling me true. I thanked her for the advice and headed out. It was a few minutes later before we had everyone in the wagon. Belinda was on the high seat next to me as we drove back to the ranch. Sam would be coming in shortly, so I got Bill and Ted to care for the mules while I took my new wife home. The rest of the wives held back, letting me have the first night alone with my virgin wife. All bets would be off the following night.

Well, let's just say Belinda was a little saddle sore the next day. She was joyously greeted by the rest of the wives. I found out that Jackie and a small group of wives went to interview Belinda while Mom and I were uptime. It turns out that her father was fed up with all the gents sniffing around his daughter. He'd had to quell their ardor with his 12 gauge once or twice. He jumped at the chance to rid himself of the problem without having to provide a dowry when Jackie gave him their proposal.

Belinda's mother knew something about the compound in Prairie Hill, and everything was alright with her if Eugene was part of it. She knew her daughter would be cared for, even pampered, as that was the talk about town. They were the most common topic of discussion at the salon, and nothing but good was ever spoken. The men had helped out time and again, whenever there was a catastrophe of some kind or another, and hadn't Eugene saved those four waifs from the burning hotel? She knew her daughter was getting the best husband she could ever want.

One of the hands came running up to the house early in the afternoon. He pounded a rapid staccato on the kitchen door. Rebecca and Tara were working inside, and they both answered.

"Get the boss, quick! Sam's been hurt! Hurry!" shouted the distraught man. Joe Smith was known for having a level head on his shoulders, so it had to be bad when he got worked up in a tizzy like this. Tara ran for the bedroom while Rebecca called for help from some of the others.

"Eugene is on his way," Tara reported, as she returned to help. They had just reached the bottom of the porch steps when Eugene shot out of the front door, sprinting towards the pit for all he was worth. He stared in horror when he skidded to a stop.

I saw Sam laying crumpled up at the bottom of the pit. A long piece of rebar was sticking through his abdomen. The men reported that he had been working at the top and lost his footing. He fell the ten feet down and landed on the rebar.

"Don't move him" I said, "I'll take care of this. The rest of you need to go to the bunkhouse and stay there until I call. Please just do as I say."

There was a little grumbling, but the men went. All the women showed up at the pit, including Conchita and his new wife, Marguerita. I took the long handled bolt cutters, and they sliced through the iron rod like a hot knife through butter. I carefully got the cutters under him and made short work of the other side. He still had the bar through his body but at least we could move him now.

I could see only one recourse, uptime right now. I called everyone to join me, even the wives holding the babies. My entire family was there. I had them all join hands, or at least touch their neighbor, and transported everyone to our suite in Winter Park.

"AI, we have a medical emergency. Tell Jeff we need him NOW!" I hollered out. Sam was lying on the floor in the same position as when he'd fallen. All the new wives and Conchita were very frightened. The others held them and explained what had just happened. Three people burst through the door before they could get everything explained.

Jeff, Diana, and one other I didn't recognize, came in. He said. "Inform the sentry we need the hover stretcher to move the injured man to the chambers," when he saw Sam. The women all gravitated to the side where Diana was calming them down. Conchita and Marguerita were not to be consoled, however. Conchita knew that the injury was a death sentence. The other woman, Kayla, worked to convince them that all would be OK.

Jeff extracted Little One from his shoulder as I watched, and placed the little alien on Sam's chest. The hover stretcher arrived, with two soldiers guiding it, not two minutes after his call. Sam was already out under Little One's influence. The four of us gently lifted Sam onto the stretcher and the anti-grav unit was engaged. A heavy blanket was draped over Sam and they moved him out. Jeff suggested that we adjourn to the living room. He said he'd see to Sam and be right back.

The Waco women wondered what was going on, but we couldn't say anything. Jackie tried, but doubled over in pain as the blocks kicked in. We kept our silence once that warning was noticed by the rest of us until Jeff returned. Diana called some of the younger wives to help act as hostesses in the meantime. Helen temporarily dismissed classes while the emergency was tended to.

A cart with all sorts of sweets and beverages in cups was shortly wheeled in. It took their minds off the trouble for a bit. Jeff returned shortly after the serving started.

"He's in the chamber and ship says it'll take about seven hours to repair the damage. We now need to administer the blocks to the rest of your charming family."

Kayla began explaining it to the frontier women as best she could. I added my two cents worth in, and there were no further questions or qualms after I did that. The all patiently sat while the instrument was moved from person to person. With as many people as there were, Kayla left and returned with a second device a short time later. That sped the process up quite a bit. Diana saw to it that the carts were kept stocked. Sandwiches were brought out on the second go-around. They were a big hit, and someone thoughtfully heated up some beef stew that I latched on to.

"Well, that's the last one," Jeff remarked, when Lizzy woke. "Now we should get started. Let me tell you all a story. You may not want to believe it, but Eugene will confirm that it's true." With that, he told the story of the ship, Little One, and all the rest. As if anyone had to guess, it was Lizzy who asked to see Little One. Jeff held his collar up and out she came. Lizzy was fascinated.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.