Somewhere in Time - Pocket Watch - Cover

Somewhere in Time - Pocket Watch

Copyright© 2013 by MattHHelm

Chapter 20

A shotgun barrel was the first thing seen as the door opened a crack. The tall man in the black hat handed a paper to whoever was behind the door. The door swung wide a moment later and Waite and the Major stepped out. Hank Richardson shook hands with the men. He then introduced his brother, Hal. Hal was the spitting image of his brother. He should be, since he was born the same day. He introduced his other brothers, Harold and Howard. They too, were born the same day.

Hank, Hal, Harold and Howard Richardson were the first set of quadruplets recorded as born in Texas who survived. They all grew up in East Texas and they all became lawmen, just like their Pa. They became Deputy US Marshals two years ago. They were deputized by Marshal Eli Crow, a half-breed lawman from Oklahoma Territory under the authority of a Federal Judge in Arkansas. They later transferred to Ft. Worth under the direction of Federal Judge Eustace Justice. Federal prosecutor Abraham Lincoln Jones directed their activities based on the judge's notes.

"How was your trip?" Waite asked.

"Not bad. Faster than our horses and the stage, and much more comfortable," Hank replied. "I have the actual warrant for Turnbull, Biggs, and any other person of interest if necessary."

"We've also got Bad Bart McCoy locked up. There's a Federal reward for his capture. I have the poster ya'll sent out. Young Jesse Jackson, my roustabout, and neighbor, Eugene Appleby, managed to take him alive."

"You shore done good here, Ranger," Hal spoke for the first time. "We'd known they were a problem here abouts, but you done figgered it out. We're much obliged fer that."

"Judge Justice was pleased when he received your wire, Ranger," Howard, the youngest added. "He put us on the night train so we'd be here today. Is there anyone else we should know about?"

The men gathered around the table in the office. Of the sixty-three men killed or captured last night, fifty-nine had 'dead or alive' wanted posters on them. Most were issued out of Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. Twenty-seven had Federal warrants as well. There were four that no one could identify because Betsy made a mess of their faces with her lead barrage. Betsy was what Haskell was calling the Gatling gun.

Thanks to Turnbull and Biggs, we were going to share in sixteen thousand, five hundred and eighty five dollars. I had decided that Jesse would get that money for stock on his new ranch. After all, I had more than enough money elsewhere. Or should I say 'else when'. The Richardsons' trunk was delivered to the jail by the station master's assistant. Striped convict outfits and shackles were in the trunk. These shackles looked like what I'd seen on TV; cuffs at the wrists and ankles, and a solid chain connecting the cuffs between top and bottom.

The Richardson brothers brought out one final chain once all the prisoners were changed and cuffed. It was long and had neck collars attached every three feet. The six survivors were linked together and marched back to the train station. The locomotive that brought the Marshals had been turned around on a special siding and was waiting for them. They boarded the short train and the prisoners were herded into the second car, a boxcar. They were spread out along the side and told to sit. Once seated, their neck chains were locked to eyebolts affixed to the wall and their leg chains were locked to a similar setup in the floor.

Jesse, Waite, J.W., Haskell, and I shook hands with the Richardsons once more before they left. I noticed that there were several men with Marshal's badges sitting on top of the two cars with lever action rifles. I was sure the train would reach its destination with no trouble.

"Well, I guess we can head home," Jesse announced.

"You go on along. I have a little paperwork I need to finish before I come on. Let my ladies know I'll be there by suppertime. You did a good thing by picking up that Gatling gun, Eugene. Smart! Thanks for that and for donating it to the Rangers. We'll take good care of it and put it to good use."

"You're welcome, Waite. Glad I thought of it myself. I was pretty safe on the roof, but I couldn't see you all getting hurt."

"Young man, the spunk and bravery you showed, not to mention your shooting, prompts me to ask if you'd be interested in a position alongside Ranger Phillips here. How about joining the Texas Rangers?" Major Haskell asked.

"Thank you, Sir, but no, I'll have to pass on that. I'm positive my wives won't let me."

"'Wives' did you say?" Haskell pressed, smiling.

"Not as many as me, but he's young yet," Phillips said, "And only a few more than you."

I thought so. Haskell is an Alpha too. I had a feeling there was something about him that was familiar. It was the same as when I was at the Retreat with Jeff and some of his brother Alphas came into the room. Now that I think about it, I'd bet that Richardson fella is also an Alpha, maybe even a Prime like Waite.

Jesse and I rode out of town headed east once more. We continued on until we reached Prairie Hill and home this time. I waved as we split off at my homestead. I turned in and Jesse continued on to his place next door. Lana and Lora were on the porch spinning and weaving. I waved as I rode past them toward the barn.

I was brushing Thunder when I heard a soft rustling noise. I pretended not to hear. That was getting increasingly difficult. The upgrades done by Little One had all my senses heightened. I could even smell them. I was certain this was Lana sneaking up on me. I waited until I sensed she was right behind me, and then I sprang into action. I spun around grabbing her up as I did. I carried her over to the pile of hay, threw her down, and pounced on her. She squealed as this was going on, but she threw her arms around me and began kissing passionately as soon as I'd covered her with my body. Things got heated and we practiced doing adult things for a while.

"There you are!"

Jackie interrupted our play. Looking up at my angel, I quickly struck out with my hand and caught her leg, causing her to topple over on to me. I pulled her onto the blanket we'd spread and began lavishing her with kisses. Lana got into the act too, and the three of us were soon enjoying each other's body.

The sound of the big triangle on the eating porch reached our ears as we lay back taking a breather. We grudgingly got dressed and headed for the house. Once inside, Mom encouraged us to quickly clean up because dinner was almost ready.

"Jackie was broadcasting pretty loudly out there. We enjoyed the time you spent as much as she did. It's a wonder we didn't burn the dinner. I can't wait until tonight when you'll be taking care of the rest of us. Now go wash up!"

I couldn't resist so I tweaked the nearest nipple and scampered off before she could respond. I caught up with Jackie and she invited me to share water in the shower. It didn't take me long to shed my clothes. especially after she had shed hers.

We spent the time cleaning and kissing. All of us later spent the night making love, such a change from the business of the night before. This was the way in the Wild West. Life would go on and law would be established. Most of the citizens were good, upstanding folks. We don't hear about them nearly as much as the bad ones.


Wendy Too was in the kitchen cooking again. Junior had just gotten a flash idea and stopped in to bounce it off her mother. Being the Princess in charge was a bit of a challenge and Junior wanted a little R&R.

"I want to go visit Eugene and his wives," she told her mother.

"Since when do you ask me if you can go anywhere?" was Wendy Too's reply.

"Oh, Mom, you know I always let you know, sooner or later. It's sooner this time. According to the 'Powers that Be', Eugene and his family are in Waco with the rest of the family."

"That's nice," Wendy Too commented.

"In 1877," Junior added.

"Be careful. Dress nice. Have fun." She placed the baking sheet in the oven as she spoke. Junior wondered what she was making, but wasn't concerned enough to ask.

A bit nonplussed, Junior headed to her room. She'd gotten a nice pair of boots, real roach stompers, and she wanted to wear them. She'd also picked up a real nice looking cowgirl set at Neiman Marcus to go along with the boots. You know, red skirt, white blouse, red vest, red bandana for her neck, and a white hat, of course. The complete set. She was dressed and ready in only 40 minutes. She couldn't decide how to do her hair, and finally decided to do the double pigtail braids. She noticed the blouse was just a little tight while standing in front of the full-length mirror. The girls were growing again. She'd tell Mom when she got back. She then activated her watch.

Eugene was in the parlor with Lizette, reading a storybook he'd picked up from the general store in Mexia. It was a fairy tale book and they were having a grand time going through it. Eugene was using it to teach Lizzie to read. She was very bright and quickly caught on. Her three older sisters and the rest of the wives had been out in the garden. They were getting quite a haul from it and the excess food needed to be canned and stored in the root cellar. Tara and Jackie were learning what to do. Michele had done some canning before, and she didn't need a refresher. She's even thought about bringing the Mirro Pressure canner back, but the hot water bath method had worked well enough.

There was a knock on the front door. Clementine called from the kitchen, asking Eugene to answer the door. Eugene called out, telling her he'd do it. He gently placed Lizzie on the couch and went to the door.

"Whatever you're selling we don't want any," he stated as he opened the front door.

"Well that's a fine way to treat a guest," Junior retorted, hands on hips.

"Junior!" I exclaimed. "Come on in. How ya been?"

"Fine, just fine," she responded. "I was getting a bit stir-crazy back at the island and I needed some rest and recreation. Your place came to mind. You've described it several times and I just figured that you'd want company and..."

The three sisters in from the kitchen came just then. Each one had that look women get when some other woman is encroaching on their claim.

"Junior!" they shouted in unison. I got out of the way to avoid being knocked over in the rush. The four women were hugging and jumping around, mashing interesting parts against each other. Shaking my head, I got outta Dodge as quickly as my feet would carry me. I headed for the barn and was met part way by Jesse. His buckskin was winded. I knew something was up.

"Trouble," he shouted down at me. "We could use your help."

"Sure thing," I called back as I sprinted for the barn. Jesse walked his horse, following my lead. He waited patiently as I saddled and bridled Thunder. I think it was the fastest I'd ever done it. We rode off without another word. I trusted Jesse. We rode hell bent for leather towards Mexia. Some of the other cowboys were also on the road. We soon had fifteen of us riding together. There still was no discussion, as we all were bent on getting to our destination. I wasn't quite sure what it was, but I was game.

"Not much longer," Jesse yelled above the clatter of hooves and creaking of saddles. I just nodded in agreement, knowing that I'd most likely be drowned out by the thunder of hoofbeats. I noted that some of the other men also nodded in agreement. Our posse galloped into town. Jesse signaled a halt with an upraised arm when we got to the end of Main. The rest of us reined in our trusty steeds.

"So what's the emergency anyway?" I questioned.

"Inside" was Jesse's terse reply, as he jumped from his horse. The rest of the men and I followed. It really brought the concept of herd mentality home. We mindlessly followed Jesse. I discovered the reason with sudden sharpness. We were in the church. A sudden chill ran through me as Jesse dragged me to the front. I looked around in a daze. All my wives were there except Clem, who'd drawn the short straw and stayed back to babysit. All of Jesse's wives were there along with the Monroe, Morgan, and Phillips clans. Many of the cowboys I'd become friends with were in attendance. Doreen struck the first chord to the processional and the bridesmaids began streaming down the aisle. Junior even got in the act, coming down the aisle in that ridiculous looking outfit. I made note that she was filling it out quite nicely. I'm just a man after all, for Pete's sake.

The bride finally appeared. Completely dressed in white, with a veil so thick that I couldn't see who was under it. The figure beneath the dress was vaguely familiar and enticing. The heads of the households, well the Queens, that is, sat in the front pew together. I looked to Jesse and he was grinning like a Cheshire cat. The bride finally reached the front. I started to step forward, but Jesse placed a hand on my shoulder, restraining me. He stepped out and lifted the veil from Lisa's face. She was radiantly beaming. Jesse then took the place beside her. I stared in shock and awe, and without realizing it, let out a big sigh of relief. Junior was laughing in her hand, as were my other wives. Ooh, they were in for it now.

The happy couple, along with Jesse's other wives, paraded out of the church thirty minutes later. We all had something to throw. Some had rice; others had grains from their farms. The Methodist Women's Auxiliary brought picnic baskets out, and food was spread out on planks set on barrels. I took the opportunity to scold my family for the trick as we helped ourselves to the fare. I discovered that it had been Junior's idea, and that she'd timed it to set this all up and then transport everyone to town ahead of us. For their part, John T, Dude, and Colorado had been in the group of riders with me, and they'd managed to slow us down to give the others time to get ready in the church.

Lanterns were lit as sundown approached and music started as darkness settled on the company. We had some accomplished musicians in our little community. There was an accordion, three fiddles, four guitars, and one banjo. Included in the group were a bass fiddle, a washboard, a little brown jug, two Jew's harps, and two fifes. They were well organized, the music was very danceable. and dance we did. We did reels, and the Reverend called the squares. There was slow dancing too. I was good with the waltz, and the old standard box step, of course. The Hartford sisters, Abby, Becky, and Charlie (short for Charlene) graced us with their voices as they sang some of the pieces we danced to.

The wives suggested that Jesse take his new bride home as the party started to wind down. Lora and Lana bid a tearful goodbye to their little sister. Geez, you'd think she was moving to California or something. "She's just gonna be next door, for Pete's sake," I groused. That earned me 'THE LOOK' from all the wives, except Mom, who gently guided me off to the side and wizened me up to women's ways. Thoroughly chastised, I wished the party well and went and sat down. I didn't dare say another word until Tara came to fetch me. I was told to get the wagon, that we were going home, and I was going to be in big trouble when we got there.

I brought up the wagon that my family had used to come to Mexia. I jumped down so I could hand the ladies up into the wagon. I knew I was in trouble for sure as soon as everyone was in the wagon. No one was sitting next to me on the driver's seat. They had all squeezed together in the back of the wagon. There usually is at least two on the seat with me. I glumly climbed up on the wagon and we started for home. The full moon gave us usable light to guide the horses safely home.

We made it home without incident. It was the longest ride I'd ever taken. Not a word was spoken the entire trip, if you can believe that. I quickly sought to care for the team once the ladies had disembarked. I closed up the barn once complete and satisfied with the stabling of the team. I slowly trudged up to the house with trepidation in my heart. I felt like I was heading up the steps to the gallows.

My first wife, Jackie, met me at the door. She silently led me through the kitchen to the stairs. Tara was waiting there. She took my other hand without a word. We slowly climbed the stairs. Lora and Lisa waited at the top of the staircase. Jackie and Tara released their grip as we reached the landing, and the two women took their place. Jackie and Tara fell in behind us. Rebecca, Susannah, Clementine, and Ginny lined the wall as we headed down the hall towards the master suite. They joined in as Lora and Lisa released my hands. Two women on each side held me as we approached the door. Mom and Becca were on each side of the doorway as we entered the room.

Candles everywhere lit the room. The light darkening curtains were drawn and it was still very dark in the room. Becca came up to me, stood on her tiptoes, and began a kiss that went on and on, curling my toes. I could feel hands stroking my body. I heard the door click shut and there were naked wives all around when I finally opened my eyes. I was soon on the bed, enjoying the company of my wives. I guess they felt I'd been chastised enough.

I was first awake the following morning. There was a faint rapping on the door. I counted eyes and divided by two. All my wives were still asleep. Curious, I got up, pulled my pants on, and cautiously opened the door. I recognized the redhead standing in the hall.

"What?" I asked.

"Oh, hi!" the Princess said. "Sorry to bother you. I just thought I should stop by. Andrea is having a small party uptime and I though of you and your, ah, family. She thought it was a marvelous idea to invite you. I volunteered to come and invite you. I hope you don't mind. We're having a swim party by the way. I got a new suit."

She giggled and blushed as she described it. I said I'd really like to see it. I asked if she would wait down in the parlor while I woke my spouses.

"Of course," she responded. "I'll go down and start breakfast. You should probably get cleaned up a little. You seem to be a little 'ripe'. I guess you all had a party here last night."

Junior giggled again as she turned and headed towards the stairs. A pair of hands encircled my body as feminine attributes pushed up against my back. I wasn't about to guess, so I swiveled around and saw Tara. "Let's go take a shower so we can entertain our guest while my sister/wives get cleaned up. Lisa is also awake, but I claimed the honor of showering with you as a more senior wife. She has the fire lit, so the water should be warm."

The water was indeed warm and we quickly cleaned up, not wasting the hot water. Everyone would be showering in pairs to efficiently use the hot water. The shower was short but refreshing. We quickly dressed once showered, and noted that there was a writhing mass on the bed. The others were waking, and Lisa had passed the word around about our visitor. I knew it wouldn't be long before they all were finished and downstairs too.

"Junior!" Tara exclaimed. "So good to see you again."

The two women hugged and kissed each other. They separated and Tara joined Junior in making breakfast. Junior had laid the fixin's out and just started cooking the bacon. The pancake batter was mixed and ready for the griddle. Tara took over that duty and Junior added the sausage to the frying pan. I got the bread out and put it in the slicing guide. I sliced the loaf and added another. We usually used up two loaves at a meal. That meant baking at least three times a week to keep up with the demand, of course.

The chatter of females caught my attention as the rest of the ladies descended upon us. They carried the little ones, so the kitchen was suddenly crowded. The volume of the chatter also exponentially increased. The Waco wives noticed what I was doing – cooking – and they promptly shooed me from the kitchen. I could play with the children in the great room until breakfast was ready. My uptime wives just shook their heads. They had tried to tell the old-timers that it was OK for me to work in the kitchen, but they wouldn't have it. No amount of discourse could sway them from their long held views.

Breakfast was ready in short order, and I don't know about the others, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. They split into groups afterwards. Down-timers went to work on cleaning up and caring for the little ones. Up-timers had a meeting with Junior in my office. Junior took the floor once everyone was settled in.

"I came by to see if you wanted to attend a party we're going to be having. It was a week ago and we all had a blast. I thought of you, and since we don't worry about time, I came back to see if you wanted to come. Andrea thought it was a good idea and gave me permission to come ask. So, what do you think?"

"You said when, but you didn't say where," Mom put in.

You didn't say what kind of party, what we should wear, and all the important stuff," Jackie added.

"OK, I guess I got ahead of myself. The party is on the Penny, and that's anchored in Darwin, Australia. It's a wildly informal state party. You should see the swimsuit I got for it. and if you think it's small, you should see Wendy Too's suit. There's even less of it. Oh, hey, why don't I take the girls shopping where I found my suit, and they can get their suits there? You don't need to come, Eugene. We can make it a surprise, OK?

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.