Somewhere in Time - Pocket Watch - Cover

Somewhere in Time - Pocket Watch

Copyright© 2013 by MattHHelm

Chapter 18

"Do you want to talk about your feelings?" Helen asked her Queen.

"No, Dear," Diana replied, "I think I should broach the subject with our husband, though."

Helen nodded as Diana headed out the kitchen door. Her radar would take her directly to her Prime. Diana found Jeff in the basement office a short walk later. He was looking over some of the plans for the new development at the ski resort he purchased. Jeff looked up as Diana entered.

"I think the ski development will be quite a boon for Winter Park and we'll see profits this season," Jeff offered.

"I do too, Husband, getting Alesha to manage it and convincing Jesse to take on head of Security was pure genius!" she agreed. "You are just so smart."

"I do come up with a good one every now and then, but I had to do something, darn it. Without their actions we would have lost..."

"Shhhh," Diana comforted, "It turned out alright, my dearest. Don't think about it."

She wrapped her arms around her husband and just held him for a moment. She continued when he was ready, "I need to talk to you about Eugene, Jeff."

"Go ahead."

"It's just that I get this feeling when he's near. It's very much like the feeling I get when you are near, but different."

"What are you saying, Di"

"I think Eugene is a Prime, Jeff."

"Is that all?" he asked.

"What do you mean by that?" Diana retorted, the hackles on her neck bristling at the trite response.

"Easy now, Di, I had that same feeling when I first saw him. I asked the ship and she confirmed it even before Eugene came out of the healing chamber. Eugene is another Prime. We just don't know enough about it to say otherwise. I knew he was an Alpha, of course. His history and family would indicate that to us, but Eugene is the first Prime we've met. I was certain that you would pick up on that sooner or later. I guess sooner is good. Do you think the others know?"

"I think Arlene was picking up on that. I noticed her looking at Eugene in a peculiar way, as if she couldn't decide about him. Dave also hesitated when they were introduced. It's just been little clues until he was eating breakfast this morning and I touched his arm at the same time as I touched Michele's. There was, oh, I don't know, something..."

"Well, I expect I'll be having another discussion with the ship and I'll probably have to talk to Arlene, too. She's out there now, training again. Wanna come with me?" Jeff offered.

"No, I think it might be better if you go. You do have to talk to the ship, and I can't do that yet."

The pair walked together up the short stairway to the hall. Diana kissed her husband as he turned towards the door and went back to the kitchen. Jeff left through the mudroom and headed across the parking lot to the ship. He barely felt the cold outside as he hadn't bothered picking up a coat. He knew the ramp would automatically be extended for him, and he purposely strode into the ship. His clothing changed to that of the Captain again once inside. He stepped onto the bridge and found Arlene in her command couch. Jeff took his position on the Captain's command couch and greeted his daughter.

"How's the training going?" he asked.

"Oh, Daddy, I mean Captain, this new simulation is really a challenge. I've been here for weeks trying to figure out this puzzle." Arlene excitedly answered. "I know it has only been a couple of hours of actual time, but it's so real here."

<<<I suspect you wish to discuss the new Prime?>>> the ship sent to Jeff. Arlene picked up the thought message.

"What new Prime?" Arlene queried, "Eugene?"

"Yes, Eugene," Jeff confirmed. "What can you tell me, Ship? Is there anything I need to know?"

<<<The new Prime is a strong personality. My examination while he was in the chamber indicates that he is, or could be, your equal. He would be an excellent choice to command my sister. I sent out a signal to her to that end. It will be years before she answers, if she even still exists, but I felt it necessary. In case you're worried, there's no entity in the Universe that can receive that signal except her. You may rest easy on that accord. This one you call 'Eugene' would be compatible if she hasn't found her own Captain.>>>

The ship's thought messages were imprecise and difficult for Jeff to explain but he did concur with the ship's assessment. He thought about the ship's evaluation of Eugene and kept coming to the same conclusion. He needed to have a heart to heart with the young man.

"Daddy," Arlene began, "Why don't you go talk with him now. I'm good here, and I need to do a little work on Quantum Theory, so I'll be another hour or so. I'll join you at lunch. Please tell Mom."

"I will," Jeff replied, kissing her on the top of her head as he left the command center. His clothing changed back to Earth attire again as he stepped on the ramp. He was inside the Retreat a quick walk later, and heading toward the guest suites. Jeff knocked on the door of the suite occupied by Eugene and his entourage a moment later.

Tara answered Jeff's knock. She opened the door and stepped back, asking him to make himself comfortable, then slipped into the bedroom and gently nudged Eugene awake. He had fallen asleep after bringing Michele to her third orgasm. She told him that Jeff was here visiting and to make himself presentable as quickly as possible. She would entertain Jeff until he could join them.

"Eugene will be right with you, Mr. Matthews," Tara began, "But I just wanted to thank you for saving my husband. I don't know what I would have done, except I know I'd have been lost. I can't explain it, but..."

"No need for thanks." Jeff interrupted, "And you don't have to explain anything. We've been doing this for a long time, so don't you worry about it. The assistance is something that an Alpha always gives another Alpha, and something a Prime does for his Alphas and even his brother Primes."

Tara looked at him with a start. "What are you saying, Mr. Matthews?"

"First off, it's just 'Jeff', please, and secondly, I think you're smart enough to grasp exactly what I'm implying. Your husband is not only an Alpha, but a Prime as well; a very strong Prime by all estimation, or at least that's what the ship tells me."

Tara just looked at Jeff, not comprehending the enormity of the statement. The door to the bedroom opened before Jeff could go on, or Tara could ask any questions, and Eugene, Jackie, and Michele joined them in the sitting room. Eugene shook hands and thanked Jeff for saving him again. Michele and Jackie also put their two cents worth in. Jeff humbly accepted the thanks on behalf of the ship, claiming he personally hadn't done anything except make the facility available.

Tara started to tell Eugene about what Jeff had said when the telephone rang. Eugene's mother answered it. She listened for a moment and then handed the receiver to Jeff.

"Hello," Jeff said.

"Colonel, this is Lt. Mayfield. Will you please get your helmet? We have a situation and need your input."

"OK, hold on. It'll be a minute or so," Jeff replied.

Turning to Eugene, he said "We need to have a discussion, but there's something I need to attend to right now. That was the security detail and I have to attend to this."

Jeff left to retrieve his helmet. He established contact with Lt. Mayfield again once it was on. "What up, Lieutenant?"

"Take a look." Lt. Mayfield's head cam scanned the road in front of the security gate. There was a black limousine in the driveway. The specialized helmet cam showed three women in the car. They were all very good looking. On further examination, the one in the front passenger seat was a young teen while the driver and the one in the back seat were more mature. The car itself was armored, had diplomatic plates, and was flying their nation's flag front and rear.

"It just appeared, Sir. There was no warning. There was nothing one minute, and it was just there the next. Our scanners didn't pick it up. We looked back up the drive and there are no tire tracks leading up to this vehicle. I don't know what it is, where it came from, or what it wants, Sir. I just have a bad feeling about this."

"What do they say?" Jeff asked.

"All they'll say is that they need to talk to you and your guest. We're trying to ID the diplomatic plates and the flag, but haven't had the time to find out so far."

"Ask them to please wait, Lieutenant. I'll be down shortly. I take it the weapons check came up negative."

"Yes, sir. They've said they can wait for approval from you."

"Give me a few minutes. You're sure there is no threat?" Jeff asked. He was curious about this pair, but he knew the General would blow his stack if Jeff ignored protocol. Security couldn't come up with any reason not to allow the meeting. Jeff signed off and quickly dialed a number.

"This is Diana," came the voice on the phone.

"We have diplomatic visitors at the gate," Jeff related, "I'm going to go down to see about it."

"Is that wise?" Diana asked.

"I don't think there will be a problem. Mayfield and his team have already checked them out and have given a tentative clearance. I'm going down to the gate now," he said.

She said she'd get things ready for the visitors and told her husband to be careful. He assured her that he would. He hung the phone up and turned to head out. He hadn't gotten very far when Kayla pulled up beside him. She didn't say a word, but Jeff knew his personal security would broach no argument. Kayla would be going along. They were joined by Helen, their resident genius, as they walked the long hallway towards the garage, and Arlene was just entering the house as they arrived at the garage entrance. A quick word from Kayla, and Arlene insisted on going along. Jeff knew this was one argument he wouldn't win, so he just nodded his assent.

Everyone donned coats that were hanging in the foyer. The big Escalade backed out of the garage with Jeff behind the wheel. Arlene pushed the button on the remote to close the overhead door once it was clear. She was seated in the front, riding shotgun. Kayla was in the seat behind Jeff, and Helen was in the secondary shotgun position. All three women had their weapons with them. The drive down the long steep incline that was the entrance to the retreat was uneventful, unlike the pell mell trip several weeks back when Jeff literally had flown down off the mountain on his way to the hospital to rescue Caitlin from the hostage situation with McMasters. Sheriff Tate settled that argument before Jeff arrived, but that's when Jeff learned about his TK abilities.

The Escalade came to a gentle stop at the security shack. The man on post was at attention, and Lt. Mayfield approached the driver's side of the sleek black vehicle. Jeff rolled the window down to talk to Mayfield.

"So do you know any more about what's going on here?" Jeff asked.

"No, Sir, Colonel Matthews, except we have discovered that they are representatives of Nevis and St. Kitts, a small Caribbean Island nation."

"I guess I'll have to find out for myself then," Jeff declared, as he pulled the handle on the car door. Kayla instantly reacted by holding his shoulder.

"Wait," she demanded, "I need to be out there first.'

"Oh, it should be OK, Worrywart. There must be at least three troopers covering that car as we speak."

Kayla was adamant, and she quickly exited the car and was around to Jeff's side just as he slid out. Smiling, Jeff approached the limousine on the driver's side. The power window descended. A beautiful woman was at the wheel of the car inside. Jeff couldn't tell how old she might be. He stopped short of the door.

"I understand you would like to see me. I'm Jeff Matthews."

The woman behind the wheel said. "Yes, I know. I have a rather urgent need to speak to Eugene Appleby, and here isn't the place. It's about 'time'."

She raised her eyebrows and put a little extra emphasis on her phrasing. Jeff immediately caught the inflection. He turned to Mayfield and told him it would be all right to let them pass. He turned around with a jerk of his head and headed back to the Escalade as Kayla raced around to get in. The big car easily turned back onto the plowed road and Jeff watched in his rearview mirror as the security gate was opened for the women's car. Jeff accelerated, and the car following easily kept up. Kayla hopped out as Jeff drove the Escalade into the garage when they reached the Retreat, and directed the visitor's car to a parking spot in front of the exterior door.

Diana and some of the younger wives had been alerted by the Retreat's AI that Jeff had returned with visitors. Some of them had watched the encounter at the security gate on the AI's large screen located in the living area. Curiosity caused them to congregate at the foyer. The women in the car were bundled up against the weather such that only their faces showed. They exited their car and stepped towards the door as Jeff opened it for them. Diana greeted the women once inside, inviting them to leave their gear in the mud room.

"Welcome, to the Retreat, our home, Ladies," Diana said. "If you will follow us, we can go to where we can be more comfortable. We have refreshments waiting."

Jeff and Diana led the way while Helen and Kayla trailed behind. The other wives who showed up to witness the arrival of these dignitaries fell in behind. They entered the large living area with the huge glass windows looking out over the white, snow-covered landscape. The view for the newcomers was breathtaking.

"Oh, this is lovely," the older woman commented. With their wraps off, Jeff could see that this was probably a mother/daughter combination. Diana suggested that they be seated near the big fireplace, and Whitney and the other girls began serving refreshments.

Once seated and served, the woman spoke. "Mr. Matthews, or should I say, 'Colonel' Matthews?"

"Just Jeff will be fine, Your Excellency." Protocol dictated formality in addressing the representative of a foreign nation, but Jeff raised an eyebrow at the mention of his military rank.

"Oh, we don't need to be that formal," she replied, with a smile. "I am Dr. Andrea Slagle, the roving Goodwill Ambassador and Admiral of Nevis and St. Kitts. Duchess of Rákóczi-Hapsburg, Her Royal Highness, Andrea, Princess Slagle Most Excellent, Koenigsknecht, Dame of the Realm of Rákóczi-Hapsburg. Lady Slagle ... and Doctor of History, but you can call me Andrea, and this is..."

"I'm Princess Wendolyn Elizabeth Wanzor Austin the third, but you can call me 'Junior'. Mom goes by Wendy Too," Junior said, as she introduced herself and her mother with a smile.

"It's imperative that we speak to Eugene Appleby, Jeff. I know that he's visiting you here. Will you please ask him to join us?" Lady Slagel ... OK, Andrea, asked.

"How is it you know this?" Jeff responded.

"As I mentioned, 'time' has a way of telling. I can't go into any more detail than that. I'm sure you'll understand once we see Eugene."

Jeff noticed the emphasis the Ambassador put on the word 'time' again. He figured this might have something to do with Eugene's watch, so he picked the phone up and dialed a number. He was talking to Eugene a moment later.

"Eugene" he began, "We have visitors and they are asking for you. It's the Goodwill Ambassador of Nevis and St. Kitts, Dr. Slagle and Mrs. Austin and Junior"

A look from Wendy Too and Jeff corrected himself. "I mean Andrea, Wendy Too, and Junior."

"I'll be right there" Eugene stated. He turned to his wives and said "We have visitors. Wendy Too and Junior have come here. They brought a friend along. We met her at the island, Lady Slagle, Andrea."

"Oh yes," Jackie said, "I remember her. Isn't she related to Queen Elizabeth?"

"Distant cousin, I think," contributed Michele.

"Let's go see royalty," Tara added, "If that's OK."

The four of them exited the suite, turned, and made their way to the grand hallway. Turning left, they headed to the big, open living room where the diplomatic party was located. Eugene and his women entered the room a few minutes later.

"There you are," Wendy Too cried out in relief. The women hugged each other like long lost relatives as Eugene stepped out of the way. Wendy Too turned to Eugene once the festivities were over.

"We need to talk, about you know what," she cryptically said.

Eugene caught on and replied. "Oh, it's OK to talk about the watch. These folks have blocks...

That's as far as he got before a wave of nausea swept over him. He doubled over in pain. His mother was closest and she caught him. Jeff was at his side in a twinkling of an eye.

"Ooof, so that's what happens. I guess we need them to join our group," he said, after being helped to a chair.

"You mean you can't talk about their secret without getting sick? So that's what the Powers that Be were referring to. Man, that looks wicked," Junior chimed.

"It's OK." Andrea explained, "The Powers contacted Junior when your watch disappeared. They told us about the Matthews' and everything."

Junior giggled and wiggled her eyebrows ala Groucho.

"Just who are these Powers you talk about?" Jeff asked, a worried expression on his face.

"Not to worry. They are from CENTURIES in the future. They are the keepers of the time travel watches like I have, Mom has, and Andrea has," Junior volunteered. "They know everything about everything, and they take care of the watches too, so they got worried when Eugene's disappeared. He has a new model and it could be very dangerous in the wrong hands. They asked us to check it out. That's when they told us about the Resort, the Matthews', and the ship."

All motion and talking came to a screeching halt. Someone without the blocks and who had never been to the Retreat had just mentioned the ship. How?

Andrea saw the look on the faces of their hosts, and quickly responded to the alarm.

"Don't worry; your secret is safe with us. The Powers that Be wanted us free to discuss things in your presence, so they arranged to have the blocks put on us ... in the future. Let's just say you're in for one hell of an adventure. Oh yes, and thank you. I can't say why, but thank you."

Wendy Too continued on. "They investigated when Eugene's watch signature disappeared and found that he was here, in some sort of chamber on the ship. That chamber has some sort of force field, is that correct?"

She continued when Jeff nodded. "Well, that force field completely blocked the watch from communicating with the Powers, something that never happens unless the watch is destroyed. Your watch isn't due to be destroyed for a couple of centuries from now, Eugene, so the Powers were in the process of asking us to check it out when the watch came back online. This curiosity was the impetus that brought us here."

"You can see that I'm fine," Eugene said. "I was hurt pretty badly in a skiing accident at the resort in Winter Park a few days ago. One of Jeff's wives came by and visited while in the hospital. She recognized me as an 'Alpha', if you know what that is." He noticed them nodding their heads. "They brought me here and healed me. I shared the watch's abilities with them in return for their kindness."

"You know, you should have come to the island after the accident. We can get the best people in the world to work on you. But then, you had off world technology to take care of you," Wendy Too confided.

Diana interrupted to ask if they would like to stay for dinner. The three demurred, saying they needed to get back to their own timeline. Andrea admitted that she was currently in the middle of the Pacific, sailing the Pretty Penny, flagship of Nevis and St. Kitt's Navy to Hawaii. Wendy Too wanted to get back to the kitchen where she was baking cookies, and Junior wanted to get back to her flying lessons. The women expressed their thanks to Jeff and Diana for their watching over Eugene. They were escorted back to the foyer where they donned their winter garb and exited the building.

"Come back anytime," Jeff called out, "You can just come up. I've notified the AI that you are welcome guests along with Eugene and his women."

"Thank you for that," Andrea said, "And I try not to startle your guards at the bottom of the hill next time."

"You just can come directly here if you want. That is, if it's easier for you," Jeff put in.

"Yes, we'll see," she replied, "And we're off now."

The car and women simply vanished with those words. It was gone in time and space.

Eugene turned to Jeff and Diana as they walked down the long hallway. "I guess it's time we got moving along, too. Thank you, for all you've done for us. I hope we can visit you also from time to time."

"As a brother Alpha and future Prime, you are always welcome here, Eugene. I'm sorry you can't stay to meet the others of our group," Jeff stated, with regret.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.