A Leader Born
Chapter 15

Copyright© 2013 by Invid Fan

Shanna raised her arm, catching the blow in the middle of the round shield. She grunted, the impact absorbed by her body, forearm vibrating. Her body moved to the right, the wooden sword in her right hand swinging upward from below her waist. Piotr's shield easily dropped to thwart the blow. His entire upper body was now exposed, but she was in no position to do anything about it. Deciding she was in a bad position herself, Shanna backed away.

"You have him now! Keep at it!"

She could do without the cheering section. Bogdi and his companions stood around the two duelists, commenting on every exchange of blows. Some of Piotr's men, too, stood there, also cheering for her. This seemed to annoy her lover to no end.

OK. She did like the cheering section.

Piotr smiled, both shoulders rotating as he worked some kink out.

"Good. You didn't press the attack from a bad position." He changed his stance, shield raised. "Come at me."

She set herself, looking for an opening. Maybe if she attacked with the shield? She could then bring her sword in under it...

"Your Grace!"

Helmut's surprised greeting indicated the evening's practice was probably over. She relaxed, keeping an eye on Piotr. It would be like him to make a surprise attack, keep her on her toes. He straightened, moving to lean his fake sword against a tree stump. That lesson obviously wasn't in the cards. Shanna briefly considered attacking herself, but that would just result in him not holding back and probably another bruise on her toughening skin. True, he'd kiss it better later, but she let the thought pass. Discarding her own weapon and shield, she turned.

James was returning the soldier's salute. She didn't salute him, naturally. He was, in her eyes, an equal. What these people thought didn't matter to her in the slightest.

"What's up?"

He smiled at her, amused, she thought, at her continuing lack of formality. It probably was a refreshing change.

"I just talked to the shipwrights. The two boats should be ready by dark."

"And?"

"And I plan on setting out for our new homeland at dawn. The tide should be right."

She nodded.

"And?"

"And I'll want you up and in the second boat when we go."

Shanna found herself looking past James, across the harbor. You could see the island, barely, out past the entrance. A dark shape on the horizon. Mysterious. Forbidding.

"OK."

"Your Grace."

Shanna looked at Bogdi. The brown haired, giant of a brother to Anelie had stepped forward, head bowed. She frowned as James regarded him with a raised eyebrow.

"What is it, Soldier?" he asked, humor in his voice. Bogdi kept his eyes on the ground as he spoke.

"Your Grace, I would like to volunteer to join Lady Shanna on this mission."

"And I, Your Grace."

"And I."

Shanna turned in a circle, eyes wide. Every one of Bogdi's companions, her new friends, had stepped forward. Had offered to join her in an untested boat across an unknown ocean. She didn't know what to say. Even Anelie stepped forward, quickly stepping back at a scowl from her brother.

Piotr, and his men, stayed silent.

"If she wishes it," James said, eyes on her, "I have no objection. We need fourteen oarsmen," he added, glancing at the dozen before him, "minimum, plus two more in addition to Shanna. If you can find some archers to fill those slots, do it."

"I know some men, Your Grace. We'll be ready."

"Good." His eyes returned to Shanna. "You OK with this?'

"Um ... yes." She was blushing. She knew she was blushing. Why was she blushing? She mentally shook herself. "Yes. I'll be ready."

"Good."

James turned, retracing his steps, his two guards just behind. Shanna turned to Piotr.

"You're not coming?"

She didn't mean for it to come out hurt. To come out ... like some woman wronged. Piotr's wince did not bring her joy. She shook her head.

"Sorry. I know it's probably..."

She felt his hands on her shoulders. Looked up to see him standing before her, eyes whirling. He let out a sigh.

"I'm a Hussar, Shanna. I fight on horseback. The King needs strong soldiers for this, not horsemen like me."

"But I need you," she whispered. He smiled.

"And I you. But, what was it you said? You wouldn't stay home and be a normal wife? This is the life of a soldier. Going off, leaving family, friends. Hoping to return some day." His face became serious. "You'll lead your men. Protect the King. And come home, your job well done. And I'll be waiting."


"Don't go."

James looked up at the sad teen. Ewa held herself above the tired King, black hair loose, hanging down to his chest. Her legs straddled his, the royal manhood resting after its recent adventure. He reached a hand up, touching her cheek. The other, out of long habit, found one of her perfect breasts.

"It will just be a day or two, if we camp there rather than risk a tired crossing. Nothing will go wrong."

"I don't trust them."

He didn't ask if she meant those going with him, or those left behind with her. He ran a thumb over the soft skin of her face, over the hard nub centered on her hanging breast.

"Trust me."

"I love you."

James moved his hand to the back of her head, drawing her lips down to his.

"Then love me."

She did just that.


Shanna lay her hand on the rough wooden hull.

Did she trust this with her life? She let her gaze go down its length. The boards were not smoothed and painted. The joints were, however, tight. Inside, she knew, waterproofing pitch had been applied liberally. Oars, seven per side, stuck out from round holes in the upper hull. There was no mast, the winds, she had been told, not favorable enough to bother with a sail on this short trip.

She stepped back from the ship. It sat on a road of logs, leading into the ocean. Wood beams held it upright, ready to be loaded. Ready for her and her companions to board, be pushed into the pre-dawn ocean. For them to travel into the unknown.

She looked at her new friends. Bogdi, now in a breastplate and helmet well polished, yet obviously well used, knelt in the sand, talking to his sister. The others, loved ones back with the column, stood around her. Helmut had a hand on the girl's shoulder, expression on the rough man's face one of love. Anelie stood in for all they were fighting for. All they were risking their lives for.

Shanna looked away. She had said her goodbyes to Piotr before coming. Spending the entire night with him, off away from the others. She did not want to appear weak. Like a girl. She was their leader.

James approached, surrounded by his people. Ewa, holding the baby, caught him by the arm. As Shanna watched, the girl drew the King into a tearful embrace, the two ten year olds joining in. James showed no embarrassment as he kissed first the girl, then the baby, kneeling to return the hugs to Felek and Ruta. He stood, motioning to his guards as he continued on his way to the ships.

It must be good to be King.

"Good morning, Captain Shanna." His voice was cheerful. How could he be cheerful? She forced a smile.

"Good morning, King James. Lovely day for an adventure."

"I think so." James looked around, raising his voice. "OK, let's get started. We're wasting daylight."

The gathered soldiers laughed. With a wave of acknowledgment, the King stepped up the ladder and over the side rail of the first boat. His guards and selected soldiers, armor reflecting the torches, followed. Shanna took a deep breath.

Time to do this.

Aware all eyes were on her, she carefully mounted the ladder, pausing to make sure her sword stayed out if her way in its scabbard. Fully feeling the weight of her armor and shield, she stepped over the top, feet finding one of the seats running the width of the ship. Now on board, and feeling very tall and unstable, she slowly walked from seat to seat until she found herself at the bow. Shanna sat, facing the back as her friend quickly followed. Taking seats facing the rear and grabbing oars, they turned their heads and smiled up at her, grins infectious despite her mood. The last man boarding, she saw the ladder removed. She looked over at the other ship, James sitting at the bow. He grinned at her.

"All set, Captain Shanna?"

"Is this a permanent promotion, King James?"

"We'll see. Ready?"

She looked down the double row of men.

"Ready."

"Launch us, if you please!"

Shanna felt the jolt as the boat moved under her, pushed by dozens of men down the log ramp. The splash of the bow into the water signaled they would NOT be stuck on shore, as a small part of her had feared, and hoped. With grunts and shouts, both in and out of the vessel, the ship continued. She could feel the hull under her floating. Could feel the moment the stern left the last log. As one, the men pushed their oars out. A man she was not familiar with stood at the stern, a drum hanging from his neck.

"OK, you maggots! To the beat!" He brought a drumstick down, a low boom rolling up to her. The men, as one, began to row.

They were off.


James had forgotten how slow ship travel was.

He hadn't been on many boats. His family wasn't the outdoors or fishing type. They had occasionally gone on tourist ferries and the like, traveling around a lake or harbor. He remembered one trip to New York City, traveling over to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. The overall sense he had on these ships was not getting anywhere. Maybe it was just the lack of landmarks in the water, combined with the land before and behind you not really changing much as the distance changed.

Having to row the entire way didn't help.

The ocean was calm. That was good. Once they had cleared the harbor, as well as whatever outer reefs were now rendered harmless by the high tide, he had set the craft towards the western tip of the island. There, they would find the fishing village. There, he would have his first real encounter with another people as King.

For the seemingly hundredth time, he pulled out the spyglass and gazed at the shore ahead. The view had not changed. Waves breaking on large rocks, cliff faces, topped with trees. Not at all inviting. However, they did not want an inviting home. A good place to raise families that nobody would want to invade. That's what he wanted.

"Drink, Your Grace?"

He turned, lowering the spyglass. The men had stopped rowing, taking a much needed break. The nearest held out a silver cup. James took it, smiling.

"Thank you."

"You are welcome, Your Grace."

He took a swig. Beer. Good beer. He was definitely ruler of a cultured and refined people.

"Hey! King! You guys stopping AGAIN?"

And then there was Miss Stick Banger.

Shanna stood at the bow of her ship, her men rowing hard as they passed twenty yards away. Seeing she had his attention, Shanna gave a sarcastic wave, before sitting back down and downing a drink. James looked over at his Sergeant, eyebrow raised.

"What do you think, Wojo? Another ten minutes before they have to take a break themselves?"

"I give them twenty, Your Grace. They're energetic fools."

"That they are. Another half cup for all the men, and then we'll continue."

Sitting back, he basked in the resulting cheer. He was a good King.


James slowly lowered his spyglass.

Frogs.

To be more precise, they called themselves the Kikker. He had not known what people would be here, but had half expected them. If there was such a thing as fate, and with all this he wasn't going to discount it, it simply made sense for him to have met these people before. Heck, the ship captain from before could even be here.

Too bad he couldn't for the life of him remember his name, and probably wouldn't be able to recognize him mixed among his own kind.

"Shanna!"

She looked over, lowering her own spyglass. The two ships were now close together, separated just enough to not get in each other's way. He motioned with his hands.

"We'll take the right side of the first dock, you take the left. There is to be NO conflict, without my word! Understood?"

"Understood!"

Gone was the playful joking. He saw her turn to her own men, giving orders. He looked ahead again. They were definitely noticed, and identified. Men, Frog Men, were moving swiftly here and there. It was a small village, maybe twenty buildings, arranged on a crescent shaped shore. Three docks poked out, about five ships of various sizes tied up. All were sailing vessels, four of which had what he assumed were fishing nets on their decks. The harbor entrance was narrow, maybe fifty feet across, but marked with red wooden poles. As they passed through, James noted the rocky arms on either side seemed to not quite be natural. The break wall had been built, or at least reinforced. Behind the village, mountains rose. He did see a break, a pass leading into the interior. He would not be surprised to find it led to farms.

Or herds of giant flies.

There was no attempt to stop them, which was good. He had his archers ready, arrows un-nocked but ready to be fired at a moments notice. James stood as the ship came alongside the dock, the men pulling in the oars on that side. He hoped his unarmored body signaled peace, not stupidity. Kikker dock men grabbed the ropes thrown to them, tying up the ship. As soon as he felt secure in his footing, James stepped up onto the dock. The guards Duda and Nowak were there beside him instantly. A moment later, Shanna stepped out of her ship, Bogdi and Helmut at her side. A Frogman, splotchy brown skin partially covered by an orange rope woven toga, approached down the dock. He stopped a few feet away, green eyes on the top of his head never leaving James.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.