Marine Games - Cover

Marine Games

Copyright© 2013 by Frabarn

Chapter 3: 2nd Games

Bret and Bob were dropped at the departure point by Diane, Heather, Kim, Kelley, Ann, Mark and Andy. Andy was spending a couple of weeks of summer vacation with the 'family.' Bret and Bob were both excited about the opportunity that awaited them. The squad was presented the mission as soon as they landed on the reservation.

As Bob and Gunny Smith studied the terrain, Bret focused on his assignment for the mission. The mission was to rescue three hostages being held on a farm. Bret's responsibilities were any sentries. Using an M40A5 rifle equipped with a laser firing system. Bret's job was to be in position to neutralize the sentries on command then to support the squad by being a rear guard, covering their escape. When the squad departed the landing zone, Bret was able to get about five miles ahead before approaching the farm.

Over the next hour Bret located the sentries and selected his firing position. Upon arrival of the squad Bret identified the location of the sentries and coordinated the assault. On command the sentries were eliminated using laser fire. The squad engaged the farmhouse rescuing the three hostages, and began their retreat. Bret remained in position for two hours, to supply covering fire if needed. He then rejoined the squad. The mission was completed with no demerit for major or minor infractions.

The score's for the mission by squads was:

1st Squad 13hr. 23min.0 100
2nd Squad 15hr. 10min.0 96
3rd Squad 14hr. 45min.5 hostage wounded 93
4th Squad 19hr. 24min.25 late arrival, hostage casualty 63
5th Squad 14hr. 26min.0 98
6th Squad 13hr. 55min.0 99
7th Squad 16hr. 11min.50 alarm, hostage/member casualty 44
8th Squad 13hr. 35min.0 100
9th Squad 14hr. 23min.0 98
10th Squad 15hr. 05min.0 97
11th Squad 13hr. 59min.0 99
12th Squad 15hr. 47min.0 95
13th Squad 17hr. 22min.10 alarm, no casualty 72
14th Squad 14hr. 22min.0 98
15th Squad 15hr. 33min.0 95
16th Squad 21hr. 34min.100 late arrival mission aborted 0
17th Squad 16hr. 12min.0 94
18th Squad 13hr. 25min.0 100
19th Squad 16hr. 34min.5 hostage injured 89
20th Squad 15hr. 24min.0 96
21st Squad 16hr. 25min.0 94
22nd Squad 17hr. 33min.15 alarm, hostage injured 67
23rd Squad 15hr. 25min.0 96
24th Squad 14hr. 31min.0 98
25th Squad 16hr. 25min.0 94

The fastest time with no demerits received 100 points. Each thirty minutes over fastest time, lost one point. Demerits were then subtracted, giving final mission score. Total running time is the tiebreaker.

1st Squad will have the winning score for the first mission with one hundred points, and the fastest time. Now, obviously, all of the squads can't be performing the same mission at the same time. There are twenty-five missions with each squad assigned a different mission at any one time. The missions are divided into five missions per group totaling five groups. The squads were divided into five groups of five squads. As a mission is completed the squad rotates to the next scheduled mission in their group. Once a group of missions are completed, the squad group will rotate to the next mission group. For this reason, while no Squad ever knows exactly how they are doing, they are able to get a general idea of their progress.

The first group of missions did not pose any apparent problems for 1st Squad, and they finished the group with no demerits. Because of Bret's and Bob's knowledge of the terrain, they felt good about their times. While spending one day in the rest area after the first-group rotation, they were in 1st place in their squad group. The communication within the squad was good and moral was high.

The first mission of the second group rotation was a sniper mission with the remaining squad members basically used only as support. While Bob and Bret were looking over the mission terrain, Bret recognized that on his previous reconnaissance he had discover a very nice short cut. The problem was it was over rough terrain. Bret and Bob convinced Gunny Smith that they should proceed over the short cut with only the absolutely necessary equipment, while the rest of the squad carrying Bob's and Bret's excess equipment followed the easy route. By doing this they would cut at least ten hours off the mission as well as possibly gain a surprise on the opposing combatants by being ten hours early.

Bret, with Bob spotting, was in position at 0600. The camp of the opposing combatants was confidently going about their business, expecting no action until later that evening or the next morning. Bret was able to get within a thousand meters and pick an excellent place of concealment. The primary target and all three secondary targets were sitting on a log eating breakfast. Bret made his four shots, all killing laser hits.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.