Marine Games - Cover

Marine Games

Copyright© 2013 by Frabarn

Chapter 7: The Trust

That evening, Bret had reserved a banquet room at a local Mexican restaurant. With all his friends present, Bret had several announcements to make. The four television networks that hosted the Games had approached Bret about being a spokesperson for the Games. Because of the fan base developed from these last Games, they felt he was a tremendous asset. They offered Bret two and a half million dollars a year for the next six years. The Marine Corps had agreed to allow Bret to do this, in conjunction with his normal duties. They knew good PR when they saw it! Bret had agreed. All of Bret's friends were very happy for Bret. Than Bret dropped the bombshell.

"I am combining the money I have won from this Marine Games and the money from the networks into a Nevis Trust. The Trust is being set up to fund the physical needs and wellbeing of my new "Family". Bret looked at Mile Miyagi and asked?

"You have told me that you are having difficulty keeping the dojo open. Would you consider closing the dojo, moving to San Diego, opening a new dojo and managing the Trust? The Trust would buy the building for your dojo, supply you with a place to live and pay you a salary. Also I am aware that jobs come with lunch and dinner."

Mike looked at Bret for several moments, bowed and said, "I would be honored."

Bret then asked Judge King, Gunny Wilson, and last Andy Martinez if they would serve as Directors.

Judge King said, "Yes definitely."

Gunny Wilson said, "Yes, I can do that."

Andy asked? "What do you mean, and what would I have to do, Bret?"

Bret told her. "You will get paid twenty-five thousand a year to meet with Judge King and Gunny Wilson to answer any questions that might be asked of the trust. You will probably meet not more than once a month for three or four hours."

After getting a nod yes from her parents Andy said, " Of course I will do it, Bret."

"Mike, during these last few days I found a developer about five miles from the base who has six houses on one and a halfacre plots, on a beautiful cul-de-sac. Each house is approximately thirty-two hundred square feet. Three of them are Ranch style and three are Bi-level. All have four bedrooms, with three and a half baths. They all have a three car garages. One of the Ranch and one of the Bi-level have in-ground swimming pools and the others all have hot tubs. I have made deposits on all of them and all you need to do is get with the developer for the balance due. There is also a nice five thousand square foot building with shower facilities that is for sale one mile from the houses. You will need to drop by and decide if it would be what you want."

Mike just smiled at Bret and said, "I'll get right on that, Bret."

"Gunny Wilson, I know that your thirty years are up in three months. I would like you to consider retiring and becoming the maintenance man for the houses. This job would include one of the houses as residence. I am sure you, Julie, your daughter in law and grandson would be happy there."

Gunny Wilson with tears in his eyes said, "That would be great, Bret."

Gunny Wilson's son had been killed while deployed overseas. His wife and child, having no other relatives, had moved in with Gunny Wilson and Julie. The four of them were getting by in a one bedroom apartment on base.

"Since the house the girls are living in is only rented for two more weeks, I suggest we all drive to the new houses tomorrow, so everyone can pick out their new homes. The developer has promised that there is plenty of time for everyone to get the carpet they want, as well as the walls painted the colors they want by move in. I guess that's all I have to say."

At that point the room dissolved into bedlam. It seemed everyone had a question for Bret.

Bret just smiled and said, "Let's just wait until tomorrow to answer your questions."

Bret did go up to the Judge and the Martinez's and told them that one of the houses, would be like a guest house, so they could stay there whenever they were in town.

"Before I forget, Mike, Gunny, Diane, Ann, and Heather you five have an appointment at three tomorrow afternoon with Greater San Diego Ford to pick out your lease cars."

This last was said as Bret was running out the door. Too late, Bret realized he had to wait for someone to drive him home!

At eight the next morning a caravan of five cars drove to the cul-de-sac. The developer was there to meet them, and all the houses were open for inspection. Mike, Kelly, Kim, Bret, and the developer sat down and talked while everyone went to look at the houses ... although most of the talk from the twins was 'Dada' or 'Mama.' Mike told Bret he would be happy with any one of the houses.

For the next four hours it was like the Keystone Kops running around. Bret met Gunny Wilson's daughter in law, Nancy for the first time and she thanked him for helping them out. At two o'clock, a pizza driver pulled into the cul-de-sac with six boxes of pizza, and a case of cold Pepsi's.

After everyone had eaten Bret asked if they had decided who got which houses. Surprisingly, each had a favorite, and no two were the same. The developer sat down with each head of household, and set an appointment to pick out carpet and paint colors.

By three o'clock, the Martinez's said they were going home, and would talk to Bret later in the week. Andy and Bret hugged and cried and said how good it was to see each other, and then The Martinez's left.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.