A House Is Not a Home - Cover

A House Is Not a Home

Copyright© 2013 by Sam

Chapter 7

"He's not coming is he?"

"Nope, that nice new plane is going 'bye bye', but don't worry, he is giving you this one, we have a new office to open up in Zurich soon.

The flight back was somber. Hell, it was the wake even before the death. Even the dogs knew something was going to happen.

I kept thinking what Darla had said, that it was not the money, rather what you did with it that mattered.

Now Francesca was going to be a possible problem. Darla had a bark, Francesca had the bite. Of course, she never knew Don Giuseppe did that for her, all her life. She was the real spoiled brat, not Monica or Darla.

Bonnie and Fawn were making great progress with the new offices. They wanted to start firming up the individual requirements from the old place. Eve told them no. In the short time they joined up they had both learned that Eve and Darla both would give them a free hand to do almost anything they had a reason for, but when either said no to something, that subject was no longer open to discussion.

The 1 hour meetings had just started. As expected the first one up got blasted apart. These prima donnas had never been asked to justify and explain their investment strategy and what options or alternatives had or should be considered. In their way of thinking as long as their ROI was above that of a bank they thought they had a great strategy. After meeting number 2 was worse than the first one everything stopped.

An off-site was called for that afternoon. Monica had some pull, since I owned the hotel, and her last name was still Hoffman, they assumed she was still my wife.

There were some groans and gripes but all 16 of our 'investor managers' were there. Eve and Darla started the afternoon with a short role-play.

"Mrs. H. I understand your loss. I know you miss your husband. Having now all that responsibity to bear must demand a lot of time and energy. We at Hoffman Investments hope that we will be able to do a lot better with your money than just put it in a bank and get some ridiculous interest rate. If my figures are correct, you have about $500-600,000 to invest. By buying into both fixed and flexible vehicles we should effectively double the rate of return the bank account would pay you. We can send you a check each month or you can access the money at anytime and we will adjust the number of units equally between shares hold or you can instruct us to adjust only those you select.

Would you prefer checks a debit card or both linked to your new account?"

"So, how many of you use something similar to this with that size client?"

A show of hands varied a bit until they all were raised high.

"And unless my reports are really off, how many of you have a gross profit above 10% per annum?

No hands.

So to recap for $18 Billion our clients might just as well put their money in AAA Bonds and get CD's and earn about the same if they are Tax-frees, or am I missing something?"

You could smell the fear and panic in the room.

"Dar, tell me, in your small portfolio what are you looking to make each year?"

"In the small one, probably 23-30% pre-tax over a 5 year run."

"And in the big one, the one for the long term project? (More Uncle Giuseppe here)"

"You know Eve, that is based on draw downs but over 10 or 15 year runs, it need to be at least a 40% pre-tax return."

"And who manages it?"

"Now your being silly. You and I do, of course."

"Without saying amounts, would any of your 'strategies' or trend lines work with accounts the size of theirs.'

"Again Eve, speculation. I've never worked on any accounts that were only $18-$20 Billion."

"No Hun, their total is that, not each."

"Oh!" She rolled up her neck.

"I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad. You all have never been asked to be real financial managers and now we are demanding that our clients be treated like you were. This company is going into the big leagues. I have paperwork that opens up 25 new accounts that are all $6-9 Billion each and 5 more that are much higher. Who should I assign them to?" How many of you can sit down and explain to me how you are going to manage my $9 Billion this year and what will you earn for me? I'll tell you. None of you know how to manage money. I really should just hire 25 or 30 new 'professionals' pay them $1,000,000 a year to start and concentrate on the new business we are lining up. I have to explain to Mark that we can't take those new accounts till I find people. Guess what, these 25 accounts will wait, they love us, they want to give us Billions more but we don't know what to do with the money, at least you sure don't."

"I want you all to stay here, discuss things, yell, scream throw things whatever. On Monday 7:00 am I want any one who wants to learn to be a success, manage money and is willing to work 12-14 hours a day, 6 days a week for the next 5 or 6 years to come back. Those that don't, just clean out your desks, if you feel you 'need' to convince your client to leave with you, we won't miss them or you. We probably won't even bother to sue you if it is not a $1 Billion a year client. For those that decide to come back, tell your friend, lover, boy or girl friend, wife or mistress that you will be mine to use and abuse. Oh, if you survive the first year you'll be making at least $600,000 a year and have a company car.

Bonnie and Fawn will be here on Monday to assign new offices to you and get your individual requirements for them. Thank you, just order whatever food or non-alcoholic drinks you'd like, the room is yours until 6:00 pm. Hope to see some of you on Monday."

"Well girl what do you say!" (To Darla)

"Well, if Mark was just a little more kinky, we could wear some leather minis, a vest and collars and get about 40 or 50 back here to the hotel and sign them up. We might have to 'pay' a little signing bonus though, but Mark would have us killed, if I know Uncle Vito."

"Yeah. What if we just used plain old money as bait.

'Wanted, top producer only. Must be experienced and be able to show a 5 year history, will consider a JR. with accounts of a minimum $2.5-3.5 Billion base, $6-9 Billion preferred ... Private office, Company Car, Benefits and annual bonus, based upon performance. Staring salary up to $1,000,000. Relocation to Las Vega, Dallas, New York and Miami offices in the future is possible.'"

"OK! Lets see if Monica thinks it will be OK to TRY?"

Not only did Monica think it was a good idea, she set up rooms to interview the applicants at the 2 hotels. The response was overwhelming They had 50 interviews booked at each of the two hotels. Eve, Darla, Katya, Marge, Dawn, and Gwen did a quick meet and greet and invited 33 of the candidate back.

Back at the house, Eve told them about Darla's first idea and said it sounded a lot more fun, and they say liqueur is quicker too.

Darla raised up her shoulders and said, "I was just kidding. I think!"

The question of actually hiring and starting was raised. Most thought Mark should decide. Monica asked if they needed Mark for everything, Why did they need Eve or Darla or even a new office then?

Eve set up the rankings and they went down the list of candidates. When it was all over 17 new Financial Managers met the 9 returning executives. Eve had each new manager give 5 minutes on their experience then 5 minutes on what they were looking for in a JR or special advisor.

By the end of the day all returning 9 had a defined new niche, the start of a good strategy and 4 more of their friends came in the next day based of the glowing reports the 9 had given them. Eve reviewed the strategies and plans, gave each new manager a contact name and phone number and told each to introduce themselves and any team they had and set up the new account. Each would open up for $ 7 Billion, the billing rate was a flat 1/4%( .025%), of which half was paid as salary and bonus to the Management team. Even if the account did not grow, simple math made each manager more than $1 Million each year.

It was not long before people were literally begging for an interview. A couple of Managers became very arrogant. They were advised other places might be a better fit. It was during one interviews, this requested by a client, for a friend who was moving to Zurich, we had a lead.

When Mark got back the first thing he did was jump in the pool, then pretend he forgot that his clothes were still on and his Harem had to console him. He quietly asked if Monica and Dar would see him about some family things.

Bren and Tasha were waving their new toys the Pope gave them. In a nice gesture it became a thing that each girl would alternate wearing the ring each day. Since no one read Greek they decided Nic and Candice should look it over, then if it meant anything, maybe it could be a wedding present.

I asked about them. Monica just smiled and told me we were all invited to the wedding next month. Monica had called Papa Vito and he was sending them both to the house in Hawaii for a honeymoon. Her surgery would best work if it was going to be done over a long time, but the prognosis was good, 80-90% normal. She had started and now was talking a little. I was reminded that a woman did not need to talk as much as my so called slaves did, but thought better than kidding about that.

The Pixie and Minx were both walking towards me with a troubled look on their faces.

"Let's get that room people keep suggesting we get, just the 3 of us. We need to talk."

They were both waving letters at me.

"What is this? We don't have any account in Zurich, why do we need to contact a Messr. Bland?"

"Just them being nice, I guess. I, no we, will be going there soon and will take care of that then."

"You got one too, here!"

"Yep, when Ingrid and Francesca get here we need to talk about them too?

"You have been a busy boy I think, So when did you have the time to add them to your Harem, Bren said you met the Pope then flew right back."

"Gee, sounds like a jealous wife, I don't remember getting a lot of calls about some changes that you made here while I was gone? Anything I should know about your surprises."

"We still need to talk, Dar too, it concerns her too. There will be some things happening that both of you may not like. Francesca is one of them. She is a gift and we three need to decide what to do with her."

That lowered the red face starting on Monica. I wondered if we had our first 'fight' over this. Ingrid is a gift too, but she is more like Eve or Darla and will go with us to Zurich."

"We have a guy who one of the family investors referred to us. He wondered if we could use him in Switzerland?"

Let Ingrid and Eve interview him. Ingrid will run Switzerland for us.'

"But we have nothing there."

"Yes we do." Pointing to the letters.

"How Much?" Darla asked.

"More than everything here. We have another account in my name coming to the company too, Eve needs to handle it or you Dar."

"How much?"

"Like you two, "100 or so."

"100 or so what, horses, dogs, Millions?"

"$100 Billion."

"We need to talk before they arrive. Monica you and I will be named in Uncle Giuseppe's will. Tony is to handle it, he already has a copy. Some people will not like that and even less when we release the information about the $100 Billion. The fighting may go on for years. But it is not important. We each have money in those Swiss accounts and Vito has more if we need some. I also will see to it Dar, that you will share in your fathers holdings and estate, it is not in the will, but I discussed everything with your father before the... ? On this trip?"

"How do you know about Francesca? Did Papa tell you?"

"No, you did. You talk in your sleep or in your dreams. But yes too, we talked about everything, he wanted everything done a certain way when he..."

"They are trying to kill him again, right!"

"Yes I'm afraid, so his new plane will go down on the trip back, like the other one did. I wonder if Mom and Dad's met a similar fate."

"But if you know, why not... ?"

"Ours is not to question, we merely obey. You father has made all the arrangements necessary for after his death."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.