California Dreams - Cover

California Dreams

Copyright© 2013 by Salladin

Chapter 1

Marge

"Get ready baby, we have to be at Jon's by 10:00 am if Bonnie and I are going to do everything today and still make dinner for you guys tonight!"

Trey Van Duck nodded her acceptance of the task with a mixed feeling of dread as well as an understanding that this was something she wanted, no needed, to do.

Since coming to live with Marge, even the simplest things became both a challenge and a sense of accomplishment to the 9 year old. She often wondered what it would be like to be able to run and play like the 'normal' kids. Ever since she had...

No use 'wishing things that might have been', life was so very different now. First learning English, at least fairly well, now having to do 'normal' things and by herself was what she always had hoped for, to learn and try to live a more normal life. It was hard without legs. Even the clothes and dressers were a challenge, let alone using the bathroom.

Things were so very high, there was no way to reach so high, now there was even this added thing, time, she had to do it, she did not want her new foster mother to become angry with her, to send back to get yet another caregiver or to live in that group home.

Marge needed the money. Things had gone from bad to worse with the divorce. Her Ex did not pay on-time, rent and utilities had skyrocketed and her job had gone away last month. If it was not for the food stamps, foster care monies and tightening the belt on extras, she could not make it. She had not been out in 6 months. No where, nothing, Nada.

Her threat to garnish his wages brought 6 months of alimony in. What a Godsend it was. She was using this to start her own business. She had an accounting degree in College and the addition of doing medical records, billing and filing HIPPA forms for local doctors seemed like a good blend.

Starting out at home would work well, she could work from home and avoid most babysitting charges. Today, Jon in 3-B had agreed to watch Trey Van Duck for the afternoon. They had a lot in common, she thought. Bonnie took this as an rare opportunity to go with her, Jon would watch Sheila too.

Bonnie

Bonnie and Sheila was sisters. Bonnie was 18, Sheila 11. They did not have a lot in common until their parents were involved in a truck, car, bus accident last month.

California was always bad traffic, the medical bills had piled up trying to save the parents. Air lift service were $18,800 to even get them to an emergency room. The medical bills exceeded $450,000.

Insurances were slow paying, the house was up for sale, but nothing yet; and the lawyers wanted 40-45% of anything they got if they took the case Bonnie was considering.

The fact that she was considered an adult at 18, was named in the will and indeed her name was on the house already, would mean she would be granted custody of Sheila. Sheila had not spoken since the accident. Bonnie had met Marge through the Accounting work needed to get things ready for the IRS filings.

Thank God she took far less than others had wanted for the work. They had became friends because of Marge's caring.

When the house would finally be sold at least some money would be coming in, probably before the insurances or any lawsuit. No decision of who was a fault had been rendered, the double indemnity clauses precluded an early payout. If she 'borrowed the money, she would be paying 28% for the 'privilege' of paying bills with her own money. It did not seem 'fair'. Then again it was not 'fair' she and her sister were an orphan either.

There was Bonnie, she considered renting in the same complex that Marge was in when the house sold. Marge even told her that if the new home business took off, she would have need for help and Bonnie could work from home with her.

In a way Marge dreaded that, it would mean 1 or 2 more rooms and greater expenses, but, in-time, it would work out; especially if Bozo paid the alimony as scheduled.

This outing would see both girls getting their hair done, lunch out, shopping and they all would have a BBQ at Bonnie's that night.

Jon should enjoy going somewhere too. IEDs were the main reason Jon lost his legs in Iraq. That and the terrible medical treatment. By the time he was taken to Germany for care, it was too late to save them.

Marge had known Jon both from her Accounting business and then filing a ton of medical and HIPPA forms that had his name on them. It had been over 2 years now but she hesitated on asking him to go out.

Watching Trey Van Duck was an easy way to see him more. People would talk, why did she, a 'whole' girl want anything to do with a 'cripple'?

It was an easy answer, if she ever felt anyone deserved it, Jon was a 'nice' guy. She enjoyed his company, and since she had gotten to know him more, had been the victim of the paper 'bureaucracy', like her.

Jon

This was going to be a really big day. Not only would it be the first time two women had agreed to be around him, they were putting him in-charge of their most valuable possession, their 'family'.

OK! So it was a foster kid and a sister, but for Jon, it was the first time since the explosion and months of pain, that he was being given a chance to be a person again.

He had artificial limbs; but they hurt, and he hated them. Trey Van Duck was a victim too, she had the misfortune to find an 'old' land mine. Millions had been left behind, both sides, over many wars had used them.

For a kid though, she was alone, in a strange country and caught in the 'system' since her sponsor family opted not to keep her. Maybe he could even help. There were a lot of 'Vets' who felt something good should be done for injured people like her.

He did not know much about Bonnie however; just that her parents were killed, that she was 18 and her sister 11. Sounded like the 9 and 11 would enjoy what he had been planning, certainly the BBQ later at Bonnie's house would be a hit.

Marge had brought over 3 DVDs, 6 books and a box of kid games. He was serving Pizza, Chicken and Popcorn during the day. The time should go fast. They were due here at 10:00 am or so and the BBQ would start at 7pm.

What a day! Things were tough for everyone so this was a great change of pace. They needed to get away, he needed friends. Everyone would get something today.

The door bell rang. "It's open, come in" he yelled.

First Marge, carrying Trey Van Duck came in, then just a few seconds later Bonnie leading a frightened Sheila.

Jon was on the floor, ice packs near his stubs with his back against the couch. He wore shorts, no shirt and on the floor, the start of a huge picture puzzle.

"Welcome you guys! I hope you two can help me with this, it's really hard?"

If anything could be better for Trey Van Duck and Sheila than seeing a grown up, handicapped like they were, in a way, asking for help, it was not known.

Very shortly three sets of hands were sorting, stacking and otherwise spreading 1,000 puzzle pieces all about the floor. Jon had the windows open, a breeze was blowing and there were five or six pillows and light blankets on the couch.

Pointing to them, Jon said, "In case they need to nap. They can get comfy too, it's not often the weather is so nice. The BBQ tonight is a perfect cap. There are more cold or ice packs in the fridge if Trey Van Duck needs some too. This may end up a floor activity day."

Marge and Bonnie looked at each other, took one look at the remarkable sight of all three on the floor, no tears, smiles on their faces and stripped the two girls to comfy but not too 'public' attire. For a 9 and 11 year old though, they wore things a 'family' member might around the house.

Marge did get some cool packs, placed them near Jon, while Bonnie put several paper cups, juice, soda, ice tea and water on the area near the chair. They all; could crawl or reach it from where they were at. Jon's home had made most everything reachable, unlike Marge's.

With a 'thumbs up' sign and mouthed kisses and 'thank you' Marge left, followed by a stunned Bonnie.

When they got outside, Bonnie only said "I have never seen anything like it. What is he, the 'Pied Piper' of Santa Monica? Both kids were oblivious to us leaving!"

"Beats me girl! Also they seemed so at ease wearing so little, it's like they were at home with a brother or a 'Daddy'."

Marge had to reflect on that comment. All three of them had bonded instantly. A small tear formed. Taking in Trey Van Duck had been just a money thing. In the past month though, it became much more.

She was starting to think of the girl as her own. When the reaction to Jon came about, all she could think of was that the sight was as close to a family that she had never had.

Both of them had a full day planned. Like all women, shopping at a mall meant 'girly' things galore. Some of the outfits were not really meant for outdoors but this BBQ tonight would be a 'perfect' opportunity to 'reward' Jon for his thoughtfulness.

Bonnie asked Marge what she would be wearing tonight. After a few giggles, both decided that the see through 'harem' outfits would be well received by Jon; and Marge was taking him back after the BBQ and thought it might set up a friendly mood.

Bonnie then had a thought that maybe they both would want to stay the night. It had been a very bad and lonely time for the girls, and Jon was a 'nice' guy, a guy anyway. She hoped he was not 'too nice'.

Lunch was quick at the mall. The haircut turned into more when a friend of Marge, decided to treat her and Bonnie to nails and a massage.

The trip home, after 3 glorious hours at the spa was followed by food shopping for the BBQ, going by Bonnie's house, getting things put away and Bonnie starting salad, wrapping corn, potatoes and making burgers and kebobs for the grill while Marge got things outside clean and ready.

The new BBQ outfits were readied in the Bathroom.

They went back to pick up Jon and the girls, it was near 4:40 pm, traffic was always heavy even on a Saturday.

Jon and the girls ended up completing the 'Mount Rushmore' puzzle in near world record time. These 'rug rats' were really smart.

After some juice and water; Jon held out two choices to them, DVD or books? Like he should have known. "Both" said Trey Van Duck, Sheila just nodded.

No one wanted Popcorn and after the first movie, Jon called for Pizza and Chicken. While they waited he started on one of the 'Winnie The Whatever' books he thought were age appropriate. He noticed that one of his stumps was sore. placing, on an ice pack, he asked Trey Van Duck if she needed 1 or 2. They would both wear artificial limbs at the BBQ or try to.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.