Accidental Attraction - Cover

Accidental Attraction

Copyright© 2013 by Kaffir

Chapter 20

Ray took the security firm representative round. It was not a big site and the latter reckoned they could deal with a fourteen hour shift with three men, two patrolling and one resting. He was happy with the warehouse office as a rest room. There were tea and coffee making facilities and room for a sleeping bag. Ray undertook to make sure that there was tea and coffee there provided by DRD.

"I suppose there's really no way you could provide cover tonight," asked Ray, "It's just that I got the impression that Malcolm Dobson is a pretty impetuous person and just might arrive with two jerry-cans of petrol tonight."

"No, sir. I'm sorry. We have operatives on call but it's twenty-four hours notice."

"Understood. I'm just a bit jumpy."

"Yes, sir. I'm sure but I'm afraid I can't help."

"Don't worry. I appreciate your quick reaction to a phone call this morning."

Reg was also worried and had voiced his concerns to Eleanor who agreed with him.

"But what can we do, sweetheart?"

"Provide our own watchmen tonight."

"I doubt you'll get them."

"I'm not so sure. I reckon the warehouse guys wouldn't mind a chance to thump any of the Dobson set-up, particularly Len and Wayne."

"But not you, my Reg! You're still not fit and I'm not having you in danger." Eleanor's eyes were flashing and Reg had never seen her look so serious.

He smiled reassuringly, he hoped. "I'll have a word with Ray," was all he said.

Eleanor looked grim but said nothing. She had learned her lesson about trying to bounce Reg.

When he heard Ray return to his office Reg went to see him.

"I'm worried about no security tonight," he said in his usual blunt way.

"So am I, Reg, but they won't budge."

"Would you like me to see if I can raise some volunteers? I reckon the warehouse lads'd be willing. Just for one night."

"You'd need three or four and they'd need sleeping bags."

"Let me go and talk to Len."

"OK, Reg."

Reg did so and Len was receptive.

"Give me half an hour, lad," was all he said.

Reg went back to his office and Eleanor looked questioningly at him.

"Len's organising," was all he said and Eleanor kept quiet.

It was three-quarters of an hour and a silent one at that before Len appeared.

"Got 'em." he said. "Jim, Wes, Wayne and me. We'll do two shifts."

"I'll come with you," exclaimed Reg.

"No you bloody won't. We're not going to be responsible for a bloody cripple," snapped Len. "I appreciate it, Reg lad, but no."

Reg took a breath.

"No!" exploded Eleanor.

"I just..."

"No!" came the vehement chorus.

Reg shrugged.

"One thing we could use, lad," Len said. " A set of handcuffs each."

"OK. Will fix."

Len patted him on the shoulder and left. Eleanor moved round behind him and draped her arms round his neck. She kissed the back of his head.

"We're right, my love," she whispered.

Reg nodded. "I know," he murmured, "but they're my mates even though I've been promoted."

"And, my sweet, brave man, you'd be a hindrance rather than a help if they felt they had to look after you."

"I thought I could man the telephone if they got involved in anything."

"And if Dobson managed to start a fire they'd be concerned for your safety, which might take their eye off the ball, and endanger themselves."

"Oh shit! Sorry, darling."

She said nothing, just tightened her arms and kissed the top of his head again.

Ray came in having seen Len leave. "Break it up," he smiled.

Eleanor smiled back. "I've just been trying to persuade our wounded warrior to drop the heroics."

Ray picked it up in a flash. "Quite right! So what have you fixed, Reg?"

Reg told him.

"Well done, Reg. I'll give the security firm a ring and borrow some handcuffs. Well done the lads too. Double overtime and you tell 'em and then go home, the two of you."

"But I..." started Reg.

"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, my darling. Come on."

They made their way down to the warehouse and found Len. Reg looked shy.

"Tell him," ordered Eleanor smiling broadly.

Reg was still embarrassed and looked down at his feet.

"Spit it out, lad," said Len gently.

"Double overtime," Reg whispered.

Len put his hand on his shoulder and squeezed it.

"It ... it was all Ray."

Len squeezed his shoulder again and smiled, "Aye, lad," was all he said.

Reg and Eleanor made their way silently to her car. They drove away equally silently until Reg looked around.

"Where are we going?" he asked.

"A quiet secluded spot where we won't be disturbed by your mum coming home and where I'm going to kiss the living daylights out of you."

It was a pity she could not see his face: a mixture of love, joy and a certain amount of apprehension.

She drove into a wood and parked at the side of the road, took him by the hand and led him through the wood until they came on a view below of rolling countryside.

"Oh my!" he gasped.

"Thought you'd like it."

She turned and gently enfolded him. His arms went round her.

"I love you, Reg," she said. "More and more. Every day, and today you excelled yourself. I'm proud of you."

"Can't think why."

"Don't come the self-effacing thicky with me, Reginald."

He grinned. "We got a good deal with Will and he was great getting the security firm."

"And?"

He shrugged.

"You warned Ray off about security and then you organised our own guys for tonight and at double overtime."

"That was Ray."

"OK but, my sweet, the way you organised it meant that he couldn't really do anything else."

"Rubbish! Hero worship!"

Eleanor did not reply just grabbed him and hugged him. She lifted her face.

"Kiss?"

Reg groaned and did so, at length and very lovingly. It was he who broke the clinch.

"Eleanor my darling, dyslexia therapy!"

"Bugger!"

Reg's initial shock was overcome by laughter and he hugged her tighter.

"Sorry, Reg!" she whispered.

"No, my love, no!" He continued to laugh as he also continued to hold her tightly to him. "You said what you felt and stuff upper class politeness, good manners and all. Oh, my sweet, darling Eleanor! How I love you!"

That led to another prolonged hug and kiss.

They raced back to town and were only ten minutes late. Caroline was totally relaxed, noting their shining eyes. She was impressed with what Reg had so far achieved and said so.

Reg smiled, glanced lovingly at Eleanor, and nodded his thanks.

"I've got a slave driver," he said.

"A gentle one, I hope," smiled Caroline. "Forced feeding doesn't work with dyslexics."

"No," replied Reg. "It's ... it's encouraging and very, very helpful."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.