A Southern Warming - Cover

A Southern Warming

Copyright© 2013 by SlaterChance

Chapter 7

I didn't sleep well that night. I had weird dreams about women and boats. The dreams were disjointed and never seemed to go anywhere. I remember trying to solve a problem but never being able to come up with the solution. I was relieved when it was finally time to get up and start my morning ritual.

I went for my morning jog. I didn't see Britte. I was disappointed and had hoped that we could at least run together. I returned to camp and finished my exercise routine, made breakfast, and then sat down for a few minutes to relax.

I was surprised when I heard a soft voice say, "Hello!"

I instantly realized I had forgotten about the appointment I had made the previous day. How could I have been so absent minded? I turned to see the mystery woman coming around the corner of my vehicle. All at once the day began to brighten and take on a whole new set of possibilities.

I quickly rose from my chair and offered it to my guest. I then moved over to sit on the bench of the picnic table.

"How is finger," she asked. "I look?"

I rose from my seat and walked over to her.

"May I have medical kit?" she inquired.

I reached for the kit and handed it to her. She removed the gauze bandage and carefully studied my finger "It heal well," she said with a big smile on her face. She took the gauze out of my kit and expertly bandaged up my finger.

"My name is Anna." I could see a sparkle in her eyes. I found myself somewhat speechless as I gazed at a face that was so pure and innocent.

I finally regained my senses.

"Hello Anna, I am Clint."

"Like country western singer?" she asked with a smile.

I groaned. Even she knew about the famous Clint Black.

"Yes," I replied, "Like the country western dude."

"I pleased to know you," she replied. "We go for ride in boat?"

"I would love to do that," I offered. "When can we leave and when do you need to be back?

I figured if she only had a short period of time, we would go down to the lagoon. If she had most of the afternoon, it would be possible to go somewhere a little more exciting.

"I can leave in sixty minutes," she smiled sweetly. "I need be back at dinner."

"That's great," I replied. "I have a very interesting place in mind. Why don't you get ready and we will leave in an hour. I promise I will have you back by dinner time."

She gave me a smile that most men would have died for. Then she rose lightly to her feet and headed back to the camper where she was staying.

While she was gone, I drove over and rented a tandem kayak. After strapping it on my Rover, I stopped at the new market I had discovered and picked up some supplies for our lunch. I arrived back at camp with just a few minutes to spare before Anna arrived.

While I was packing up the food, I heard footsteps approaching. I turned to see Anna with a tall, dark, and handsome looking man. He appeared to be in his late thirties.

"Hello!" he said in greeting. "My name is Yuri. I understand you want to take my cousin for a boat ride."

I took his pro-offered hand and received a hearty hand shake. I explained that we would be going kayaking and told him that I would insure that she wore a life jacket. I also told him that I had taken classes in water rescue and CPR.

"I will need your cell phone number so that I can call you," he replied. "My cousin is visiting the U.S. and I am responsible for her safety."

I gave him what he requested and once again assured him that I would take good care of her. He looked intently into my eyes until he saw something there that put him at ease.

At last he said, "Have a good time." Then he headed down the path toward his camper.

"I'm all packed," I said to Anna. "If you are ready, I'll open the car door for you."

We walked over to the Rover and I watched as she climbed in.

She had picked out a very pleasing outfit for our outing. She wore an ocean blue, silky blouse and a pair of white cotton shorts. Her legs were gorgeous. On her feet she wore a pair of white Nike sneakers. Her outfit informed me that I would be traveling with a woman who knew how to put a nice outfit together.

I climbed into the driver's seat and began heading down the road.

"I have a very special day in store for you," I said with a big smile.

"We are going to drive up near Charleston and then we are going to kayak down a river that runs along a number of magnificent plantations."

She didn't seem to understand right away, so I had to explain it a little more clearly. I think she finally realized what I was saying, because she flashed me one of those big smiles. I learned that she was a doctor for a number of small villages in Russia. She informed me that she was visiting some relatives that had immigrated to America a number of years before. It was her first time in the U.S. and she told me that she liked it very much.

I also learned that her relatives lived in Atlanta and had invited her along for their trip to the ocean. She informed me that she was enjoying the area immensely.

The miles seemed to pass very quickly and I found it was not too long before we were nearing the place where I planned to put the kayak in. After the trip with Britte, I had done some research and learned where you could launch your kayak, travel down the river, and take a shuttle back to your vehicle. I had planned on doing it alone, but now I could do it with a companion.

Once we arrived at the launch site, I unloaded the kayak and carried it down to the water. I asked Anna to stay with the boat while I parked the vehicle. When I returned, I gave her a quick lesson in kayak safety. Confident that she understood what we were going to do, I helped her into the vessel and then climbed in myself.

Soon we found ourselves moving slowly with the current. I instructed Anna on how to hold the paddle and the proper techniques to use. I found her to be a quick learner and it didn't take long before we were moving in a straight line. I had to make some adjustments here and there, but overall, she was doing a very good job.

I smiled at my good fortune. It was a beautiful day with a sky so blue that your heart wanted to leap for joy. I was looking at the back of a beautiful woman whose flowing red hair looked even more vibrant in the light of the morning sun. I would call it a reddish brown, maybe even auburn. It seemed to take the color of the world around it. Every so often she would turn around and flash me a big smile. My heart would simply skip a beat on those occasions. Her bangs hung down until they almost touched her eyebrows. She had just the slightest hint of a dimple. She was stunning.

I watched her carefully as we rounded the bend and came upon the first of several plantations. The manicured gardens rose upward from the river banks and continued climbing until they framed a stately old mansion.

I heard a sigh as Anna took in the view before her.

"It is lovely," she stated. The inflections in her voice told me that I had chosen our route wisely. I steered us over to a little backwater area where we could stop and study the scene before us. I saw some visitors pointing in our direction. Maybe they were wishing that they were out in kayaks, doing as we were doing.

Anna carefully looked over the lawns, hedges, and outbuildings. She commented on the flowering trees, which I informed her were camellias. She asked me how old the mansion was. I gave her my best guess. She asked if we could stop. I told her we would need to enter at the gate and pay admission. She informed me that she would like to visit a plantation in the future. She said that it was very beautiful, like a dream. She said it reminded her of stories her grandfather would often share with her.

Suddenly, she exclaimed, "Look ... over there ... I see a Swan. I love Swans."

Sure enough, I looked in the direction she was pointing and saw a large white swan swimming in one of the ponds. The expression that she put into her words was intoxicating and easily drew me into her world of wonder.

I pointed to an alligator that was sunning itself on the shore. I watched as her face expressed the excitement that she was feeling. I mentally complemented myself on my wise decision for this trip.

We continued down the river, pausing at several other plantations. I could sense that Anna was very impressed and marveled at the way she carefully studied each new setting.

I spotted a small park, near a bridge, and paddled over so that we could stop for lunch. Anna was very surprised when I pulled out a small package from the storage area in the kayak.

She waited patiently as I poured a couple of glasses of my favorite California wine and then prepared a plate of cheeses, bread, and fruit. I could tell by her smile that she was very pleased. After a toast to our good fortune, we began to partake of the food before us.

Even when she ate, she was a woman of class. There was something in her demeanor that I found so refreshing. She conducted herself in such a way that I was given the impression that she might possibly come from a family of some distinction. I was also happy to find that she was so exciting, charming, and sweet.

I studied every move she made. She must have known I was watching, but she didn't seem to care. She seemed like a person who wanted to wring every bit of joy out of life, while it was there to be had. I found her to be very refreshing and attractive.

When we were done eating, we lay back and studied the few clouds that had appeared in the sky.

Anna said, "I come from good family. My ancestors were nobles. During revolution, they were either killed or forced to hide. My grandfather tell me tales of old days when life had been so much better."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.