Sheriff Porter - Cover

Sheriff Porter

Copyright© 2013 by carniegirl

Chapter 81

When the package arrived two hours later, it was filled with walk around picture and a breakdown of everything on board. It included the description of a very powerful and reliable two cylinder four stroke Honda gasoline engine. The engine is also used in very large pumps and generators. According to the mechanic, it can be removed very easily. It could be taken into an engine shop for overhaul, or replaced completely.

The pictures showed a yellow lightweight airplane just as the mechanic described. It also included a couple of flyover pictures of the plane. I could imagine the buzzing sound as it went over head. The only thing I didn't like was the long hinged wings and the pusher propeller behind the cockpit. It did have tripod landing gear which meant the tail wasn't as likely to get damaged by a rookie landing.

It got an honest 75miles on a gallon of regular gas from the service station and the tanks were rated for ten gallons but the more you carried the higher the weight the better the performance and gasoline mileage. Because of that variable weight factor effective range was an honest 500 miles again depending on the variables, like winds.

Because of those long wings the plane would stay up with minimal power and glide long distances with no power. Frankly even the negatives were really positives, if viewed through a performance filter.

The price breakdown went like this... ,

body kit ... with wings and closed cockpit... $20,000...

body assembly $3,000 ... Probably a little more than the assembly of the bolt together kit was really worth, I thought.

Motor and installation $3,000 including throttle and propeller installation. Plus installing gas tank.

Purchase of propeller and gas tank $850.

Avionics controls. Compass ... airspeed ... motor temperature gauge and oil gauge ... altimeter ... GPS navigational aid. A simple attitude and directional gauges. And a few other non essential things. It also had a radio with limited range. Those added another $5,000 toss in another $5,000 labor for getting it airworthy tested and certified. In other words they were looking for a minimum of $37,00 K. So that was supposed to be a deal, I thought. I went on line and found a ton of ultralight aircraft, which had been used a couple of years for around $25,000 on the high end.

The enclosed cabin and other niceties accounted for the high end, since the stripped models were five thousand. I studied the package for two days and got back to the Hanford Mechanic. "Tell you what I am willing to do and this is only because I know you and trust you. Tell you brother this is a one time, 48 hour offer, no haggling take it or leave it offer. $32k and you deliver it. I will drive you back home."

"I really don't know what he will say, but I'll make him the offer." The mechanic promised. I was a little embarrassed because I really didn't know his name.

Wilson and I went back into standby mode. We were waiting to see what the local Sheriff could do. If they failed to do anything, then it had to be the SBI as my next move. Since Brian operated in various jurisdictions it was likely to wind up with there anyway.

Before I could worry myself sick about Brian or the Airplane I got a call. "Ms Porter this is Hugo Price. I would like to talk to you about the security coordinator position."

"Will I have access to all the information, so that I can make a plan that supples me and my people maximum safety, while still providing you with decent security," I asked.

"You will have access to everything including the background files on my employees." Hugo said.

"My partner and I can be there tomorrow," I said.

"Good come to the warehouse on Tate street. The sign says H. Price and Assoc," he said.

"You will have a check for five thousand dollars ready to pay for the security evaluation. After the evaluation I will give you an estimate for the job whatever it is." I said. I was really hoping he would say that it was unreasonable. I would be more than happy to forget it.

"Very well, I shall have your check waiting for you," he said.

After he rang off I walked down to my office on the dock. I carried a towel and a pair of clean panties as well as a clean tee shirt. Might as well kill two birds with one stone. "Wilson pack up all the shit you will need to do background checks and that kind of shit. We are going down to do a security assessment. We might be taking on a very short job." I said all that on my way to the shower.

Inside the bathroom I kicked off my flipity flops and stepped into the fiberglass shower stall. I stood with hot water pounding my body while I soaped and scrubbed my various body parts. Then I let warmer water run over my head. Warmer than I could get from the shower on the barge for sure. I dried off and dressed for the drive to Port Arthur. A small inlet on the state line.

I checked us into a business class motel for the night. We slept in one room with two beds. I trusted Wilson to behave himself, so I decided that we could discuss the gig and still get a good night sleep in that one room.

It was about 11PM and I was ready to slip into bed, after slipping off my baggy shorts, when Wilson said. "Did you know I could hear you?"

"What?" I asked.

"About this time of night, when we are both home for some reason, I can hear you doing it," he said.

"Doing what?" I knew what. I just needed time to think.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.