Vortex - Cover

Vortex

Copyright© 2013 by Kaffir

Chapter 7

"Come on, Wendy," said Tim. "Let's go and listen to the CD you gave me. I haven't heard the Dvorak for ages."

He did not sit on the sofa which was not a surprise but Wendy was mildly disappointed. She was not that taken with the music either. It did not appeal to her in the same way as the Verdi Requiem had. The Christmas day that had started so well had rather fizzled out.

Life returned to normal but the New Year brought bitter weather. The temperature barely rose above freezing during the day and there was a biting north-easterly wind coming straight in from Scandinavia. They dutifully walked the dogs but not for long. The horses were guiltily neglected.

After a fortnight the wind died down and Tim decided that the horses must be exercised. They both wrapped up warmly and set off. The ground was like iron and Tim would not allow anything other than a walk. The track out of the stable yard was quite a steep climb and both horses slipped a couple of times but not seriously and once they reached the top of the hill, about quarter of a mile, all was well. They stayed out for the best part of an hour by which time they were both chilled.

"Now," said Tim as they reached the track down to the stables. "This could be a bit tricky. Keep a fairly loose rein so that they have a better chance of recovery if they slip and let them choose their pace. Take your feet out of the stirrups too and just use your knees gently."

"Do you think we ought to dismount?" Wendy asked slightly nervously.

"No, we should be all right."

"Famous last words!" flashed through his mind as Jupiter slipped, tried to recover himself and fell trapping Tim's leg. Tim also cracked his head on the hard ground but his hat saved him from serious injury. Jupiter scrambled to his feet and moved off down the hill towards the stables.

Wendy was off Melody like a flash and flew to Tim's side. She knelt beside him. Melody followed Jupiter.

"Tim darling," she said softly, "are you all right?"

He was unconscious. She took his hat off and sitting down took his head onto her thigh. She tenderly stroked his cheek.

"Tim, my darling, wake up."

He moved his head slightly. She kissed his forehead. "Tim?"

He opened his eyes and looked up at her. "Wendy?"

"Oh thank God!" Two large tears fell onto his face. She could not help herself and kissed his forehead again. "You've come to. Are you in pain?"

"My head and shoulder are pretty sore but my left leg is giving me gyp."

"Jupiter landed on it. You may have broken it. Don't try and move it."

She pulled her new phone out and rang the stable.

"Ginny? It's Wendy Waters. Jupiter fell on Mr Richards's leg. I think he may have broken it. Can you call an ambulance? We're half way down the track from Combe Down. I'm not sure the ambulance will get up it as it's pretty icy. Could you pick us up in the Land Rover? I don't think he should stay out in the cold."

"Where are the horses?"

"On their way home."

"OK. Give me five minutes."

"Thanks, Ginny."

She turned her attention back to Tim and once again her hand moved to his cheek. "Five minutes," she said softly.

"Thanks, Wendy." He smiled crookedly through his pain. "Glad I gave you that phone."

She smiled gently back and began to stroke his forehead and cheek again.

Ginny was as good as her word. The Land Rover was there in less than five minutes driven by her husband Mike. He had another man with him who she did not know.

"Where's the pain in your leg?" Mike asked Tim.

"Shin and knee."

"OK." He pulled a narrow board from the back of the vehicle and carefully slid it under Tim's leg. He took two scarves from the pocket of his coat and tied Tim's leg above the knee and at the ankle to the board.

"Wendy, hold the end of the plank and keep his leg as horizontal as you can. Mr Richards bend your right leg and be ready to stand on it. Sid!"

He and Sid took an elbow and a shoulder and lifted Tim upright. In that manner they carried him to sit on the tailgate of the Land Rover. Both clambered in and dragged him until his back was against the spare wheel.

"Right, Wendy. You make sure he doesn't fall out."

She clambered in beside him and they set off very slowly back down to the yard. Mike drove into the barn.

"You're out of the wind here," he said, "and we'd no sooner have got you into the house than the ambulance would be here. I'd offer you a cup of tea but if the hospital are going to give you an anaesthetic that wouldn't be good idea."

"No," replied Tim. "You've done more than enough already. Thank you both."

Indeed the ambulance was soon there. The crew was impressed with Mike's splint and just moved Tim to a stretcher.

Wendy took his hand. "I'll go home and feed the dogs and then follow you," she said and kissed him. "See you soon."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.