Vortex - Cover

Vortex

Copyright© 2013 by Kaffir

Chapter 5

Even though Wendy was now driving she and Betty continued to shop together on a Wednesday. They alternated the driving. The Wednesday after Betty's supper party it was Wendy's turn and they had decided to have lunch together in Gloucester that day.

They chatted happily about this and that until Betty reached across the table and laid her hand on Wendy's.

"I'm sorry I embarrassed you after supper last week," she said gently.

Wendy smiled. "I knew you were only teasing," she replied.

"But you did blush."

Wendy glanced down. "Really only at what Mr Richards might think."

Betty said nothing, merely smiled kindly.

No more was said but it got Wendy thinking. She hoped Betty accepted her explanation but she appreciated that Betty did not miss much.

"I do hope that Tim doesn't suspect anything," she thought to herself. "I couldn't bear the thought of him sacking me. Where would I live now that I've given up the flat? I do go for him though. I really, really do. He's the only man after me getting pregnant as has ever shown me gentleness and kindness, affection too. He didn't have to take me out to dinner to celebrate me passing my driving test but he did. And riding, he didn't have to do that either. I'll just have to make sure I don't show him my feelings. He'd never marry me or anything. I'm Erica's age and anyway I don't think he ever wants to marry again. He loved Jane too much. Oh well!"

She did indeed watch her step and there appeared to be no change in Tim's attitude towards her. She was happy.

Henrietta stayed away for a few weeks. She did not even ring. Tim was unworried. She had clearly got the message and he did not miss her in the least. Then, out of the blue, she appeared one morning in time for coffee. Wendy made it for all three of them but did not follow the other two through to the drawing room. She did notice that Henrietta closed the door behind them. She shrugged her shoulders and sat down at the kitchen table to read her book while she drank her coffee.

Henrietta sat down on the sofa. Tim chose an armchair.

"We haven't seen you for a while," he said. "Everything all right?"

"Yes," she replied carelessly, "but I'm divorcing Arthur. I've had enough."

Tim was shocked. He had often wondered why Henrietta had ever married Arthur. She was bright and lively and Arthur, as long as he had known him which was almost as long as he and Jane had been married, had always been a dull old stick. Even so he had never thought that Jane would divorce him despite her behaviour after the dinner party.

"What was his reaction?"

"'If that's what you want.'"

"So he's not going to defend it?"

"Nope!"

"What grounds?"

"Unreasonable behaviour."

"Such as?"

"Plenty: fits of moodiness or silence, refusal to communicate on any reasonable level, not sleeping with me (supposedly because I snore which I don't), lack of affection or interest in anything I want to do, patronising and doesn't lift a finger round the house except to throw his own bed together."

"Hmm! It sounds as though you've got it all worked out. Did you get help from a solicitor?"

"Yes. He's also drawing up an agreement on splitting our assets and that's where Arthur has become a problem."

"Oh?"

"He wants to keep the house."

"What on earth for? It's much too big for a single man."

"You kept this one."

"Yes because it holds so many happy memories of Jane. If we'd divorced instead of her dying I'd have got rid of it like a shot."

Henrietta shrugged. "Perhaps he's got delusions of a dolly bird or even a harem. More likely he's just being spiteful and, when he's got me out of it, he'll sell it."

"You'd be entitled to half the proceeds."

"No, I wouldn't. He insisted it was bought in his name."

"Shit! Sorry, Henrietta. I'd never have thought it of him."

"You don't know Arthur. Nor did I when I married him but he's the most selfish man you could ever meet."

Tim said nothing, just stared at her.

"Anyway, that's my problem now. He wants me out and soon."

"Are you looking for somewhere?"

"Yes but first of all that takes time and then there are all the negotiations not to mention that there's nearly always a chain."

Tim nodded understandingly. "Any relatives you could stay with?"

She shook her head. "My mother's in a home in Hampshire and my younger brother's in Hong Kong."

"Couldn't you rent?"

"Yes but that takes time to set up and as I say he wants me out pronto."

"Golly! He is being selfish."

"And enjoying every minute of it. See what I mean about unreasonable behaviour."

"Yes I do. So what are you going to do?"

Henrietta looked down. "I wondered whether you would be prepared to take me in. Not for long," she added hurriedly. "Just so that I can find somewhere to rent."

Tim stared at her, his mind racing. He remembered his imaginary conversation with Jane and what she had said about Henrietta trying again. Much as he would like to help this would be too much. She would make Wendy miserable and, if Arthur was really as bloody-minded as Henrietta had made him out to be, he could decide not to let the divorce go through undefended and counter with allegations of adultery citing him, Tim, as co-respondent. No. He must turn her down.

"No, Henrietta, much as I would like to help that wouldn't be a good idea. I'm sorry."

"Why not?" she asked plaintively.

"Because of Arthur. From the picture you've just painted of him I couldn't possibly let you stay here."

"Why not?"

"Because he might decide to defend the divorce and accuse you of adultery with me."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.