Walkabout
Chapter 17

Copyright© 2013 by Anthony Concept

Now to face Donna, she may have sounded OK on the phone but...

Back at the workshop, Donna greeted us with a big hug and a kiss. Jane and Donna then walked off in a huddle leaving me like a shag on a rock, ah well, no fallout.

Seemingly things were OK, so I wandered off into the workshop and tracked down Andy.

"Hi Tony how did we go with the two new mines mate?

"Good Andy, we've got a curly one coming in though." I went on to tell him about the locked up pulley shaft.

"What's the plan?"

"First thing is to get the housing and bearing off, it's more than likely welded itself to the shaft, that being the case then we will need to cut it off with the flame cutter. I would think that the housing will be stuffed as well."

"OK, assuming we have removed the bearing and the shaft is damaged, what options do we have?

"First thing would be to get all the crap removed, then I think we should get the chappie from Bearing Supplies over and see what sleeves are available. We'll also need bearings and seals for both ends, no sense in putting the other end back into service after all that trauma."

"I assume we will have to remove the drum if it's too big to fit in the old Craven."

"Yeah, the drum's held in by a couple of 'ringfedders' so there shouldn't be too much drama there."

"So we remove the shaft and set it up in the lathe, I imagine there will be a lot of hard spots where it seized up. I think I saw a couple of Stag Major tools in the store, we should be able to get under them with that, watcha think?"

"Sounds good, we will need to check and see if the centres are still OK, if not you will need to re-cut them."

...

When Donna eventually reclaimed me she was all smiles.

"Thank you Tony, what you did for Jane was a great moral booster. She was a bit hesitant at first but then she was so relieved that I was OK with it, 'specially when I told her the room booking mix up was deliberate."

"You cunning hussy, there was me all burdened down with guilt and you had set the whole thing up. Donna you are one very special lady and I don't deserve you."

"Oh phooey, you and Jane are the special ones. Look what both of you have done for me and Tracie, I wouldn't be anywhere near as happy as I am at the moment."

Women, I'll never understand them.

That night Donna showed me how much she loved me ... several times.

...

A week later two semi trailers pulled into the yard. One very sorry looking pulley, a large head end gearbox and a big stack of idler pulleys. Number one priority was the pulley shaft.

On the floor, Andy soon had someone with an angle grinder and gas torch removing the offending bearing and housing.

"She's sure stuffed up Tony, there's plenty of meat on the shaft so we should be able to reclaim it."

"Yeah, as soon as you get it down to the shaft I'll call the bearing chap over, he'll probably need a bit of time to order the sleeve and other bits. Might give him a call now, those bigger bearings won't be on his shelf, that's for sure."

"Bearing Supplies, Ken speaking"

"Hi Ken, Tony Watson, got a few spare moments to come and look at a job we're doing?"

"Sure, what's the problem?"

"We've got a shaft with a stuffed bearing, I'm hoping to re-sleeve it, I'll need new bearings and one new housing, so bring your order book when you come."

"Right, see you in about an hour, cheers."

By the time Ken arrived the tradesman had most of the shaft cleared of shrapnel.

"Jesus! That's one hell of a stuff up Tony, mind if I take a few pictures, before and after?"

"Go ahead Ken, we'd like a few copies ourselves if you don't mind."

"Too right mate, these will certainly go in our next 'Bearing News' Jesus what a mess."

"So, new housing for this end, two new bearings and seals and a sleeve, should be able to get the numbers of the good end. Now what about the sleeve?"

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.