Walkabout - Cover

Walkabout

Copyright© 2013 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 7

Most of the men reapplied for their jobs under the new conditions, two decided to back Stark, that was their loss, they would soon feel the pinch when the money ran out. We had to work a fair bit of overtime to catch up on the backlog of work. Joe was pleased things were coming back on line, I know he had a soft spot for the Hartleys. The two who stuck with Stark finally realised he was a lost cause and reapplied for their old jobs, I made it quite clear that if they still thought Stark was getting a raw deal not to let it effect their work or we would be parting company quite quickly.

With the pressure off, Ray started to show a bit of recovery, he had a long way to go before he could head up the company again, but little steps...

...

Jane and I were sitting in the lounge discussing the progress, Ray had gone to bed early as was his normal routine. We heard a car pulling up outside. "Who could that be at this time of night Tony?"

I got up and looked out the window, "It's a police car Jane, I wonder what they want?" Opening the door I met the local sergeant.

"Mr Watson, can I come in please?"

"Yes of course, what brings you hear at this time of night?"

"Unfortunately there's been an incident at the factory, we would like to view the security footage from the entry surveillance camera."

"You say an incidence, what kind?"

"There was an attempt to fire bomb the office, unfortunately the person who we assume to be Mr Stark, was badly burnt ... he died at the scene of the incident."

"Oh, how horrible, poor Donna and their little daughter, how will they handle it?"

"We have yet to speak to Mrs Stark Mrs Hartley, we want to be sure that it is Mr Stark first, that's why it's important to view the security tape."

"Yes of course sergeant, I'll follow you back to the factory. Jane, I don't think it would be a good idea to come with us."

When we got to the factory, the crime scene team had set up their equipment, there was the ubiquitous blue tarpaulin covering, what I assumed to be Starkey's body. There was a stench of burnt flesh in the air. His big man truck was parked a little further away. I unlocked the office and we stopped the recorder and rewound it to the start. The machine records on a motion sensor so it didn't take long to find the start where Starkey's truck entered the field of view.

The truck came to a halt just in the scope of the camera, Starkey sat for a while before getting out of the cab. He was obviously tanked by the way he was lurching about; he stopped and fished out his dick and had a piss, reaching into the cab he pulled out a bottle and took a swig, then reaching into the tub of the truck he pulled out a flagon. Unscrewing the cap, he stuffed a bit of rag into the neck; with his drunken state, he was slopping the contents over his hands. Fumbling in his pocket he pulled out a cigarette lighter, more unsteady slopping went down the front of his pants, unconcerned, or just too drunk to notice, he lit the lighter, with all the fumes emanating from the spillage and the open flagon there was an almighty whoosh, he dropped the flagon and it exploded in a fireball, Starkey seemed to collapse on top of it.

It was too much for me I staggered over to the kitchen sink and heaved my guts up. After I had cleaned up I returned to find Sarge looking pretty green around the gills as well.

"Well at least we know that it was Stark, now the onerous task of informing his wife."

I heard voices outside and looked to see Jane talking to one of the investigators, I went outside. "Jane, I don't think you should be here, this isn't a nice place at the moment."

"Was it Starkey?"

"Yes, unfortunately it was, the sergeant is just going to inform his wife."

"Let me talk to him ... Sergeant, I want to come with you please, Donna is going to need someone to lean on when she hears about Starkey's death."

"Very well Mrs Hartley, it's not a task I relish and I'm sure that any support will be welcome."

Jane and I followed Sarge to the Stark residence. Donna opened the door to his knock, "What's the silly sod done this time Sarg?" she asked.

"Can we come in Mrs Stark, I'm afraid I've some bad news."

When Donna was seated he told her of Starkey's unfortunate death and how it occurred.

"The silly bugger couldn't just let it alone could he, the fool was the cause of all the upset, I told him right at the start when he was bragging about getting the big increase in his wages, I told him he was taking advantage of a sick man, it just went in on ear and out the other. Now he's dead, and do you know what? I don't feel the least bit sorry for him. All our married life he was the 'Big man' he didn't give a hoot about Tracie or me, it was all 'Him', the big truck, the flash boat and the worse part about it, the big debt. He's left us in deep shit damn him."

Jane caught my eye, beckoning towards the door, taking the hint I accompanied Sarg outside.

"She doesn't seem too upset Sarg."

"That's just on the surface Sir, I think Mrs Hartley will help her through this, it's pretty common knowledge that it wasn't much of a marriage, he got her into trouble and tried to weasel out, Donna's father made it very clear that it was a wedding or else. Stark was a lot of trouble, we arrested him several times, usually drunk or for fighting. We certainly won't be missing him."

Jane popped her head out the door, "Tony, Donna's just getting a few things together for her and Tracie, they're coming back to the house with us for a while." By that time Sarg had headed back to the factory so I waited, ready to help carry what was needed to the car.

"I take it that you're Mr Watson?" Donna asked.

"Yes Donna, call me Tony if you like."

"Starkey must have been a thorn in your side with all this happening."

"Actually the only contact I had with him was when he threw a punch at me, but he was the catalyst to all the trouble. Right or wrong, it's a shame it had to end this way."

Tracie was sobbing quietly, a ten year old child shouldn't have to go through this trauma, even if her father was an arsehole. I drove them back to the house and then returned to the factory. The crime scene team were finishing up, Starkey's remains had been removed. I spoke to Sarg and he gave me the OK to lock up but not to disturb anything.

"I've taken the video tape as evidence, I suggest you arrange to have the asphalt resurfaced as soon as possible, I'm sure the ghouls will be around to gawk. I be in contact with you later for a statement."

Back at the house, Jane had made Donna and Tracie some hot chocolate and they were sitting in the lounge room. Tracie seemed to have calmed down although I continued to hear the odd sniffle now and then. Jane had convinced them to stay with her until the after final arrangements, they would do that over the next few days. Seeing there wasn't much I could do to help I sloped off to the Coaster, it had been a long night, one I'd never forget. Watching Starkey die on video would haunt me for the rest of my days, of that I was certain. I had a very troubled sleep and woke up feeling like shit.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.