Genesis of a Family - Cover

Genesis of a Family

Copyright© 2013 by Justin Radically

Chapter 4: Two Jewels for Sister Mara

Two Jewels for Sister Mara

A Swarm Cycle Story

By Justin Radically

Any resemblance between the content of this story or any of the characters depicted herein and real persons or events is highly unlikely and purely coincidental.

"It's a Baptist Camp," Sister Mara Kone retorted to Monsignor Kelly.

"Sister, the retreat is owned by a non-denominational Christian group," Kelly answered her concern.

"We'll be in the Ozarks." She leaned into his desk, "I hear the banjo music now."

"The river where that movie was made is in Georgia." Kelly cocked his head. "You will be in the Ouachita Mountains, hence the name of the lake and the retreat, Lake Ouachita Christian Retreat."

"Is it your mission to make me Lady Job?"

"Mara, with all this end of the world talk because of the Swarm and the Confederacy, the stress on the children at the orphanage as well as the staff is mounting." He opened a folder. "The bus, the expenses, tuition at the camp, ninety percent is being covered by corporate donors. We only need to spend ten thousand for all two hundred kids, and staff to go."

Mara stopped arguing. "If we go I want a gross of Chigarid." Running through the mountains meant insect bites. The worse were those little red bugs that dug into your skin. This would kill them and seal the skin.

"Fingernail polish works just as..." Monsignor Kelly stopped mid sentence. The look Mara gave obliterated his argument. "One gross will accompany you on the trip."

There was a knock at the door. Kelly raised his voice a bit. "Come in please." Then softly to Mara, he said. "The party paying for the excursion is here."

A very large man entered the office. Mara expected somebody this large to carry a bow caster and be howling. He did look a bit harried. She noticed he favored his right knee. Kelly rose and stepped to the side of his desk to greet the newcomer.

"Paul, welcome," Kelly shook his hand. "This is Sister Mara."

Mara reached for the man's hand. "Glad to make your acquaintance." Grasping it firmly, she pricked her finger on his ring. "Ouch!"

Paul let go quickly, "Sorry, Sister, my class ring is sharp, I'm a Long Horn." He flashed his University of Texas class ring.

Mara looked at him and smiled. "Sooner schooner." This let him know she was a graduate of the University of Oklahoma

Paul smirked back. Monsignor Kelly raised both hands seeking peace. "Please no Red River Rivalry today." He eyed both of them. "Pax?" Both parties nodded. Each sat in a chair before Kelly's desk.

"We've been able to keep this quiet." Kelly looked at both of the people in his office. Kelly opened his desk. He pulled out a half-sized Notre Dame Golden Helmet. He pushed the two ear holes. An audible click was heard. He aimed the facemask at the window. "We can speak freely now."

"Rolly Alistair Kelly," Mara stared accusingly at the Monsignor. "You've been watching Bond movies again?"

"Only the ones with Sean Connery," he winked. "Actually, Paul here is with Confederacy." Mara glared at Paul. "When the Cosca left Earth on their own, they took the children of a few orphanages."

Mara changed her attention to Monsignor Kelly, "Who?"

Paul interjected, "Have you seen the Godfather?"

"Mobsters."

"They are very devoted Catholics," Paul added.

"Stop helping, Paul." The Monsignor retorted.

"You damn Long Horn bastard." Mara stood facing Paul. "You want to steal my children."

"Sister!" Monsignor Kelly raised his voice slightly. "This is an avenue to explore."

"Maybe I should 'explore' the side of your face with a lacrosse stick." Mara wagged her finger at Kelly. "And you," she turned to face Paul. "I should use Bevo, your beloved Long Horn mascot, to give you a colonoscopy."

"Please listen." Kelly looked at Mara pleadingly. 'Hear us out."

Mara glared at both men. "This had better be good." She sat back down, folding her hands, and waited. "Convince me."

Paul cleared his throat. He raised his first finger. "In a roughly five hundred mile radius of Lake Ouachita, there are ten thousand orphans." A second finger, "The majority of these children have little or no real future."

"Uh-em," Mara bristled at the slight.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.