Genesis of a Family - Cover

Genesis of a Family

Copyright© 2013 by Justin Radically

Chapter 3

A knock at the door roused Silas Merchant from his comfortable seat on the couch. By answering it, he would miss a bunch of the NBA Final's pregame hype. The tradeoff was worth the sacrifice; sometimes this over-hyped-stuff could make you not enjoy the game. "Coming," he called, letting whomever it was know their summons was heard. Getting up, he walked to the door. Opening it, he found Legate Ralph Hightower.

"Preacher Silas, remember me?" Ralph extended his hand.

Silas took his hand and shook it. "Long time no see. Come on in."

He let Ralph in the door. "Would you like something to drink?"

"How about some water."

Silas went into the kitchen, put some ice in a set of glasses, and filled them with chilled water from the refrigerator. He backed through the door. Turning, he crossed the distance and handed one to Ralph.

"Silas, we have heard that plans are afoot to cause trouble." Ralph took a quick sip.

"Mount Elba has had a steady growth of narrow minded individuals." Silas sat down and muted the television. "I figure by August's business meeting they will be able to start my removal process."

"You're aware then."

"Yes," Silas took a sip. "That is a weakness of being Baptist. The local church decides its own path. I think Earth First is slowly taking over churches by packing membership and voting in whom they want. Mount Elba's bylaws will force them to stack the Deacons first. That gives us two months of control."

Ralph leaned in. "I could give you three hundred members next Sunday."

"Please," he shook his head. "You join my church because God wants you to, not to be sympathetic to a supporter of the Confederacy."

Ralph sighed but smiled. "Helping ethical people has its drawbacks."

"I know that the finances are strained." Ralph added. "I think we can help here."

"Any money you give to the church will go to these people taking over," Silas's voice bordered on anger.

"Actually we want to prevent the church from defaulting on a loan by buying the property."

"We are current on the church property."

Ralph smiled. "I was thinking about the retreat on Lake Ouachita."

Silas had forgotten that the Association had turned the property over to Mount Elba ten years ago. Silas had been at his first church up in the mountains at Bruno. To repair the retreat, the church took out a note on the property. The Deacons served as the board of directors. "I see."

"When is the next Deacons' Meeting?"

"This Tuesday in the adult men's classroom," Silas replied.

"Can I be put on the agenda?"


On August 1, Opportunity to Exceed took possession of the two hundred acre retreat on Lake Ouachita. During the August business meeting at the Mount Elba Baptist Church, a motion was made to remove Silas as the minister for the church. The vote was a foregone conclusion. A shouting match ensued. Silas calmed those who had tried to defend him.

As custom dictated, Silas had to act as the moderator of the meeting. His termination was to be effective next Saturday morning. When it came time to close the meeting Silas reminded those gathered of fundamental principal. "I want to remind you Christ said 'Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which spitefully use you, and persecute you.' Examine your own heart and motivation."

"You'll burn in hell, preacher," one of the new members stood and screamed.

Pete Hinkle stood and turned to face the man. Whoever the guy was, he towered six inches over Pete. Slowly, Pete unbuttoned the cuffs on his long sleeve shirt. He rolled them up, exposing his forearms. Thirty years of work on a farm were reflected in the muscle. "I do not appreciate people speaking in a vulgar manner in my church."

The boisterous man backed down. "We run this church now."

"Thanks," Pete cracked his knuckles. "I was looking for a sign from God." Pete smiled. "With you admitting that God no longer is part of this church I can find another home."

The man opened his mouth. Pete showed a little smirk. Another one of the newbies' pulled the man away. "Jarrod, calm down."

"Paul, he won't do anything," Jarrod retorted. He lunged an inch toward Pete.

Paul placed his hand on Jarrod's chest. "We have a mission. The funds from here will further our cause."

Pete stepped forward. "When He had made a whip of cords, He drove them all out of the temple."

Jarrod put his hand on Pete to stop him. The act only managed to force Jarrod back. "Run, boy." Jarrod reached into jacket. Pete pinned the forearm against the man's lower ribs. He backed him into the wall. Pete's voice dropped to a whisper. "If you pull your gun in here, I'll take it away from you and make it so you have to squat to piss for the rest of your life."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.