Genesis of a Family - Cover

Genesis of a Family

Copyright© 2013 by Justin Radically

Chapter 1

The Reverend Silas Merchant prayed. He needed the Holy Spirit to lead him into making the right decision. The drive from Mount Elba Baptist Church to Hot Springs took almost an hour. The ice storm had coated several bridges. Twice he helped to pull other cars out of various ditches.

Cornerstone Market Place rented one of its closed stores for a Confederacy Testing Center. Silas took an open parking slot directly out front. A quick prayer bolstered his resolve.

Opening the truck's door, the biting cold reminded him that he was entering a foreign land. Grabbing tight to his heavy overcoat, he took the ten steps to the door quickly.

Once inside, he discovered the center was warmer than he thought it would be. He met the gaze of a giant; granted Silas stood only five foot seven.

"Hello, I'm Sergeant Kinsman," he held out a massive paw. The accent hinted he was of local origin. "We can fit you in quickly today. This fender-bender weather is keeping most folks at home."

"I had to help rescue a few folks on the way in," Silas offered.

"Nothing serious, I hope."

Silas looked out the window at his battered ancient early nineties Ram-350 dually. "There are a few bruised egos. My monster there had to snatch out a couple of high end toys not meant for weather like this."

"Green-horns?"

"Yep."

A mild smirk crossed the sergeant's face. "Here is a pamphlet that explains the process and has an FAQ section." The marine pointed at the different sections in the brochure. "Right now all the facilities are in use."

"Could I ask you a few questions?" Silas knew he could learn more from the man as opposed to the written material.

"Honestly, I will answer what questions I can." The marine hesitated a moment. "Some questions, like 'how does faster than light space travel work?' I am clueless."

"I was going in a more personal tone. I'm the pastor of Mount Elba Baptist Church." The marine stiffened slightly. Many of the very conservative religious pundits were quick to damn the Confederacy. "Part of the reason I am here is to have firsthand knowledge of the process."

Sergeant Kinsman relaxed. "I am glad you are being open."

<"Please answer him as honestly as you can,"> the AI sub-vocally encouraged the exchange.

"Do you consider yourself a person of faith?"

The sergeant decided to do a quick internal check. "Yes, I do."

Silas nodded. "Would you say it has changed?"

"Yes," he smiled. "I believe that my faith is stronger now."

Silas reached out to touch the marine's forearm. "May I ask how?"

"It's complicated."

"And very personal," they locked eyes a moment. "Part of my job is to help people understand the complex."

"I guess it goes back to how the world was before the Confederacy came." He pointed at the low clouds that made the day seem so dreary. "We hadn't been good stewards of the Earth. I do think that man compounded some of the global warming mess."

Silas prompted him to continue. "You think the Swarm is God's punishment?"

"No, it's like the story my grandmother tells about her father in World War II." He straightened up and his eyes looked brighter. "My grandmother's family was from Margate, in the county Kent, in England. Her father served on the HMS Medway Queen. She was a paddle steamer that made a record seven trips during the Dunkirk evacuation. When they set out on May 27, Granny said he described it as God covering the channel in His cloak of clouds. Even though at her timed sea-trials in 1938 they put her top speed at fifteen knots, for those seven trips she managed eighteen knots." He made eye contact again with Silas. "Having the Confederacy here to evacuate as many as possible is sort of the same. I'm not saying that God will hide the Earth from the Swarm, but rather that a solution for mankind has been made available."

"You see a miracle in God acting in history to provide this evacuation." Silas watched the marine agree by nodding. "From what I understand, there was chance involved that pushed the Swarm this way."

"That's more or less right." The sergeant confirmed. "They were discovered heading toward Earth."

"We humans are then part of their miracle in this."

The marine chuckled. "It was a debated choice for the Confederacy, either unleash us, or die."

"Talk about a rock and a hard place; that would be scary."

Another sergeant escorted a woman from the back. Silas did not recognize either of them. "Kinsman, unit three is open." They moved to sit at a table in the waiting area. "Once they're in the back we'll talk."

It dawned on Silas that the second marine was a girl. The same height as his sergeant, he pictured her for a moment as She-Hulk.

"This way sir," Kinsman tugged his arm.

Silas flashed a smirk. He stood and followed the marine, who he never saw stand up. "Lord," he whispered to ask forgiveness. They went to the third door on the left. Sergeant Kinsman let Silas enter first.

"You should see her in a swimsuit." The sergeant offered, "Nothing but long lean muscle."

The exam room consisted of what looked like a La-Z-Boy recliner with surround sound. Silas wondered what it would be like to watch the Super Bowl from it.

"Sit down and find a comfortable position. There are controls at both of your fingertips." He pointed at the controls on the armrests. "Once you're set, push the red button."


There was a difference after Silas woke up. He felt warm like you do in the summer. More importantly, his bladder signaled it was under pressure. The door opened.

The woman sergeant stuck her head in. "Down the hall toward the back, men's room is on the right." She ducked out of the way.

"Thanks," Silas found the need to pee was so bad he had to walk with a slight hunch. The temptation to manually grab and squeeze off the flow crossed his mind but with each step he managed to increase his speed.

It is a physical impossibility but Silas would have sworn he passed a quart. It left him a bit lightheaded. Coming out of the restroom, Kinsman motioned him to the front.

Once seated, Kinsman handed him his CAP card. It showed two sixes separated by a period. Silas slipped it into his wallet.

"You will be receiving a new keyboard next week." That revelation came from left field.

"Why?"

Kinsman looked up and to the right. "It will serve as a link to answer questions you may have."

"I can accept that."

"Are you going to volunteer?" Sergeant Kinsman asked thoughtfully.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.