Light and Darkness - Cover

Light and Darkness

Copyright© 2012 by Legion

Chapter 7

As Miles and Ryder walked out of the bunker into the failing light of the day they were approached by Doug who ran up to the pair and spoke

"Hey, I was wondering if I could come along? I wasn't much use in the battle, I want to prove that I can be useful to the cause" Miles and Ryder exchanged skeptical glances

"Do you have any combat experience?" Ryder asked

"I've been training with the recon units. This would be an amazing opportunity to get better skills for me"

"alright then, grab your gear we leave as soon as" Miles said, shrugging, Doug without a word ran off to get ready

"Speaking of Doug actually, what was it you said in the battle" Ryder asked with a smile which made Miles turn away, almost embarrassed

"you heard what I said" Ryder laughed and walked into the camp

"Yeah I did but a little more back-story is needed than a simple sentence which I shall not repeat"

"well" Miles began to tell the short story which lasted until they reached the front gates of the fort where the rest of the men and vehicles had gathered. Ryder frowned at his friend

"That level of detail was not needed"

"I know" Miles smiled smugly

"We need to talk after seeing what we got at the ranch"

"Agreed"

The group of scouts that were going out were two squads of five operators and two jeeps. Helman's men were still mobilising around the area. The scouts themselves were all veterans and wore rag tag camouflage clothing with no one looking like the other. The weapons they carried were also extremely varied from shotguns to sniper rifles. The scouts had always been a fiercely independent group from the rest of the people and their attitude towards outsiders reflected this. However they were civil towards Miles and Ryder both having earned their respect.

As they moved towards the RVP, great storm clouds had begun to gather in the distance. Ryder looked up and said in a stern foreboding voice

"a storm is coming this way very quickly" In the failing red light, clouds are dark as they had ever seen were approaching, they swelled with rain and the sound of thunder threatened quietly in the distance

"Jesus, that's going to be bad. Let's get back before it hits us" Miles replied

"Aye Aye Captain" Ryder replied in a deep pirate like sound with his right hand index finger in the shape of a hook.

"Cheeky prick" He laughed back, gently feeling his thick leather eye patch "Do you think I should get a dark green colored one?"

"You should get a metal implant with a red laser dot to make yourself look robotic" Helman said as he came up from one side. Ryder burst out laughing at this as Miles growled "Anyway I've gathered the group and will be standing two miles off your centre point so holla if you need help lads" With that he jogged off back towards his men.

They were all anxious to get underway and so no time was wasted before they did. The jeeps raced along the flattest parts of the battleground attempting to avoid the shell holes. Every so often they went down a shell hole only to rocket up into the air for a few seconds up the other side. After a short yet incredibly fun ride they dismounted the vehicles and split off into their squads.

Ryder, Miles, Doug and two recon soldiers all advanced towards the central ranch building as the others took positions around the area in various advantageous places.

The ranch was a rickety old building, looking it was about to fall down with the entire right hand side being slouched downwards suggesting the structural supports were not solid. The squad cautiously approached the front door which had been ripped from its hinges. The whole building had black marks from a fire which had clearly gripped the premises but miraculously it had stayed standing.

Miles stopped dead in his tracks at the front door, the smell of burning came from inside, his mouth dropped slightly and his eyes widened as memories came flooding back into his mind. His entire body ached with the pains that he had tried to bury. Ryder stepped in front of him to block his vision of the darkness within. He placed a hand on Miles' shoulder and spoke quietly

"Look at me" Miles gave a hollow look at Ryder "I know it's painful mate but this will take five minutes, focus on the present. I know it's a lot to ask but we both need to know what's going on"

"I need to do this anyway" Miles snapped out of his personal hell and came back to his friend "Time to let go"

"Think of what you have now" Ryder whispered with a smile

Inside, darkness appeared to grip to the walls which even the torches of the men could not fully pierce. As Doug looked down at the floor, blood stains lead up the hallway and into the rest of the house, He swallowed his fear.

As the squad moved down the hallway, a voice suddenly echoed out through the halls

"Where is the third?" This voice was filled with fire and rage and made the humans freeze with fear

"He will not come, he has fallen" The second voice boomed out in such a way that shook the entirety of the house though the location could not be placed. One of the soldiers with Ryder at the lead moved upstairs, Miles with Doug and a recon solider stayed and explored the rest of the downstairs. No matter where they were in the house they could hear the voices as clear as if they were standing in the same room as those that were talking.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.